Expedition Portal Project: 2008 Range Rover Sport

umbertob

Adventurer
Unfortunately, Rover Specialties closed their business a couple of years ago or so. They aren't manufactured anymore AFAIK.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I hear that Lucky 8 may re-birth this design or something similar.
I have a pair of the Rover Specialties on my LR3. The only drawback is that the new replacement air ride compressor is deeper than the original and I had to have the bump out cut out of mine.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Well i made a slight change for a recent trip and I think I'm going to keep it. Now don't throw things at me but I removed the 60 portion of the rear seat :peep wall: Since the car's primary occupants are myself, my girlfriend, and our german shepherd Paxton, we rarely have use for that portion of the seat. What we do need however is the floor space for the dog to lay on without flying around the car like a pin ball. I don't have pictures yet but I will be building a drawer space into the rear of the vehicle to accommodate misc gear, kitchen supplies etc, and then building a fridge and flat space for the dog to lay on with storage beneath.
Now that you're all thoroughly confused at my poor explanation I will attempt a picture and drawing later today!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Just remove the bottom seat cushion (2 bolts), the gold down the seat back and you've got your platform and flexibility

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
I want to make the space underneath the platform a storage drawer so unfortunately the seat won't work for that. The plan is to do a raised floor thats hinged with a dog bed on top so i can remove it to access the drawer.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader

So this is what I'm thinking for the middle drawer system. Forgive the crude visualization. The red box will be the fridge while the solid blue box underneath will serve as a cubby connected to the larger storage drawer depicted with the unfilled blue box. That one will be hinged so i can open it and set a dog bed on top. The orange box in the back will just be a cover over the extra space to make it all flat with extra storage underneath for small bits and pieces

A.J.M

Explorer
How do you like the car with the rods fitted?
Have just ordered a set of 2.5inch rods for my D3, from a company in Austrailia as they were going for $100 AUS dollars, which is £55 to me, plus shipping is only £7 which has made it a no brainer for me.. haha.

Like you, i don most of my driving on road but have off road use as well.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
I hear that Lucky 8 may re-birth this design or something similar.
I have a pair of the Rover Specialties on my LR3. The only drawback is that the new replacement air ride compressor is deeper than the original and I had to have the bump out cut out of mine.

FYI: I believe Tactical 4x4 in California is making a different air compressor mount bracket that doesn't hang down so low which would have saved you the trouble of modifying the best sliders ever made! (I have RS sliders on my Disco 3 too)

morrisdl

Adventurer
I have the RS slides and needed to replace my compressor. The tactical compressor bracket wouldn't raise enough to clear the RS slider. It was close, but it still touches the slider and makes a hell of a racket when the compressor was running. I provided tactical with some updated pictures of the problem and suggested a small modification to the bracket that would make it work with RS sliders. Not sure if they will incorporate that into the next batch, worth asking if you need it too. Instead of hacking up my sliders, I ended up going with a rebuilt Hitachi compressor. I am going to also to to rebuild my old one as a spare.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
How do you like the car with the rods fitted?
Have just ordered a set of 2.5inch rods for my D3, from a company in Austrailia as they were going for $100 AUS dollars, which is £55 to me, plus shipping is only £7 which has made it a no brainer for me.. haha.

Like you, i don most of my driving on road but have off road use as well.
I love them! The only thing I will warn you about is that the DSC will freak out sometimes in hard left corners. Just hit the button to turn it off when you hop in. It rides great, looks fantastic, and gives all the extra clearance you need.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
FYI: I believe Tactical 4x4 in California is making a different air compressor mount bracket that doesn't hang down so low which would have saved you the trouble of modifying the best sliders ever made! (I have RS sliders on my Disco 3 too)

I have the RS slides and needed to replace my compressor. The tactical compressor bracket wouldn't raise enough to clear the RS slider. It was close, but it still touches the slider and makes a hell of a racket when the compressor was running. I provided tactical with some updated pictures of the problem and suggested a small modification to the bracket that would make it work with RS sliders. Not sure if they will incorporate that into the next batch, worth asking if you need it too. Instead of hacking up my sliders, I ended up going with a rebuilt Hitachi compressor. I am going to also to to rebuild my old one as a spare.

Interesting notes. I can't do the aftermarket compressor because my current ones under extended warranty. Besides i'm just waiting to run a dual air compressor in as an auxillary :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1