Expedition TrailBlazer Project

2 E L O

Adventurer
It might be simpler to just put a ball valve on the discharge side of the pump. You could use that valve to balance flow to your liking.

JamesDowning

Explorer
I played with that by kinking the hose, and the pump really starts screaming as you tighten down. I don't want to overheat the pump.

SuperCal

Adventurer
how about tee-ing it off on the outlet side of the pump and diverting some water back to your holding tank, you could put a valve in the return line to act as a kind of pressure valve...

Last edited:

bfdiesel

Explorer
how about tee-ing it off on the outlet side of the pump and diverting some water back to your holding tank, you could put a valve in the return line to act as a kind of pressure valve...

or tee it right back into the suction of the pump (less hose)

JamesDowning

Explorer
All are good alternatives. Thanks for the ideas.

Onward to more projects. I finally cut up the baja rack and have begun fitting it to the front of the vehicle:

21.jpg

20.jpg

19.jpg

Looks a bit funny by itself, but I think it will throw some air over the front of the roof top tent to help with fuel economy. Going to use existing roof rack screws to hold down the rear of the rack, and set some rivet nuts into the roof where the front of the rack will mount.

Also began figuring out where this sucker will mount. Right now it's looking like it will get mounted to the side of the frame just aft of the front bumper. Basically in the wheel well.

1.jpg

JamesDowning

Explorer
Here's a few pics of the roof rack mounting details. The rivet nuts set in with no problems... surprisingly they don't even whistle when going down the interstate. Everything is as close to the roof as possible to keep wind resistance down.
23.jpg

Bent the front load bar to follow the roof curvature as best as possible... all to get the rack prob 1/4" lower. A couple small neoprene washers go between the rack and the roof.
24.jpg

Front wind faring on:
25.jpg

Quick photoshop of how it will look with the RTT. I'm really hoping it will help the air flow over the tent as smoothly as possible and cut down a bit on wind resistance. Every bit counts on a 5k mile trip.
22.jpg

Also got the trans cooler mounted in the wheel well (cell pic!). Still need to wire up the fan and get the plumbing done:
2.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
The mounting of your roof rack looks good but I am a little concerned about the mounting of the cooler. Are you not worried about water and mud clogging the cooler:Wow1: in the wheel well? Good luck on your build and keep us posted with pics...:)

JamesDowning

Explorer
Not really worried. Worst case, it nullifies the trans cooler until I can spray it off again.

I've watched the spray patterns off the tire, and the area seems to remain pretty clean.

Last edited:

JamesDowning

Explorer
I'm not sure if I'm sold anymore on roof lighting. The lights I have on the bumper are likely more than enough... but I'll keep evaluating it.

Thanks for the suggestion. When I was putting the front rack on, I started thinking the same thing. I'm almost thinking I could fit it beneath the front lip of the rack, directly above the windshield. Who knows... all in due time!

JamesDowning

Explorer
Finished the trans cooler install during the hurricane:

Used 3/8" compression fittings and 90 degree bends. Barbs are 1/2" to match the trans cooler inputs. Also shown is the tube cutter.
3.jpg

Making the first cut.
4.jpg

The fittings in place, ready for install.
5.jpg

Installed, no drips yet. There was a handy hole through the subframe that I used to route the rubber tubing. I still plan to sleeve the tubing where they may rub.
6.jpg

Plumbed up. With the fan on, it kicks out a lot of air... and hot air at that. I'm eager to seeing how it affects temps.
7.jpg

Tahoe Diesel

Observer
Not really worried. Worst case, it nullifies the trans cooler until I can spray it off again.

I've watched the spray patterns off the tire, and the area seems to remain pretty clean.

I'd be worried about it getting pelted with gravel. If a coil tube takes a direct hit from say the sharp edge of a 3/4" rock, It could puncture the tube :eek: What about installing a sturdy tight fitting mesh screen? Or even a solid piece of sheet metal designed as a sort of air scoop to collect the air from the front bumper area and thus avoid the stones as well as mud-cake?

Great add-on though, especially for anyone towing or climbing a lot of hills. Hope it works well for you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1