F150 - 2.7L vs 3.5L vs 5.0L

OverlandFT

Do you have the 3.31 gears? I've heard the 5.0 is not very peppy with that gear set. Mine seems to have similar power and acceleration as the 2.7 EB ( I test drove many of these). The 3.5 EB is way more powerful than both the 5.0 and the 2.7 EB.

Yes, 3.31 gears. Previously I drove a 2016 5.0L with the 6 speed and it had much more pep than this 2020. I actually haven't driven a 2.7 EB, but assume it's a better pairing with the 10 speed.

rruff

Explorer
I drive a 2020 F150 5.0L 10 speed and hate it. The truck is so anemic in the normal drive setting. The 5.0L with the 6 speed was a much better combo. Since the 10 speed is the only option anymore, ecoboost or bust.

My Tundra feels anemic also... but that's just how the throttle is programmed. You can change that... you can even tune it exactly how you want with something like the Pedal Commander. On the Tundra I just put it in tow-haul mode.

Do you have the 3.31 gears? I've heard the 5.0 is not very peppy with that gear set. Mine seems to have similar power and acceleration as the 2.7 EB ( I test drove many of these). The 3.5 EB is way more powerful than both the 5.0 and the 2.7 EB.

As above... you can change how it "feels". Don't be stuck with the throttle programming that makes it feel weak.

The 2.7 ain't weak:

stevo_pct

Yes, 3.31 gears. Previously I drove a 2016 5.0L with the 6 speed and it had much more pep than this 2020. I actually haven't driven a 2.7 EB, but assume it's a better pairing with the 10 speed.

I think it's the rear gears more than the 10 speed. I have the 5.0L with the 10 speed and it has plenty of power and doesn't lag from a dead stop. I have the 3.73 gears. It doesn't feel much different from a 2.7L EB.

I drive all over the Colorado mountains and have plenty of power to pass vehicles on mountain passes towing a small trailer (maybe only 1500+ pounds).

That's a great video above. Clearly the 5.0L is the slowest of the three, although they don't mention which gear set they have on any of them.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
You guys that are getting 20+ mpgs from either ecoboost what tires are you running and with what loads? I have an acquaintance who has a 19' 3.5 EcoBoost with 34-in tires and a FWC. He averages 12 MPGs. I often wonder what MPG gain he would see if he was geared lower. I often wonder what a properly geared 2.7/3.5 EcoBoost with 35-in tires and a Gofast camper could get for MPGs.

I towed once with a 3.5 EcoBoost. It got worse MPGs than my Tundra and F250. It was also faster than both ?
My neighbor with an older F-150 blessed with no stall/start bs and the 3.5 Ecoboost,2wd,Supercrew,stock size Michelin's averages 15-16 mpg he said combined. It's been a reliable truck.

Grassland

Has the timing chain and phaser issues been solved or addressed in the Eco engines?
I'd guess no. Buddies 2017 has been in three times under warranty for phaser and chain type issues.
But it seems almost hit and miss, some guys 100k no issues other guys issues early on

calicamper

Expedition Leader
22s on a 4wd truck? Lol

I wouldn't want anything other than 18s
Yeah we’ll thats what it came with. So far my typical use they have been fine. The OEM tires aren’t great but thats an easy fix. We’ll see how the better tires do. Most of my use off pavement is graded road or old logging road stuff which isn’t that hard on tires or require airing down to avoid sinking. Anything bigger than 18’s in Sandy stuff you sink faster than the Titanic. I don’t do sand so not an issue

We have a 2011 5.0, 3.73 gears with 210k miles on it with only a rear main bearing seal weep. We have a 5Star tune with 34 on 17s with a Radflo 2.5 suspension, cap and rack, decked drawers and a fridge. We average about 16mpg on highway doing 70 and 15 in the city. Not bad for the tires and weight we haul around all the time.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

D45

Explorer
Is the 9.75 axle standard on all 3.5L and 5.0L trucks?

The 2.7L has the 8.8 axle as standard with the 9.75 axle being optional?

jbaucom

Super 8.8 (12 bolt) is standard with the 5.0. Looks like all Ecoboost 3.5's have the 9.75. Heavy payload and max towing packages include the 9.75.

billiebob

I almost spent the big bucks on the high mileage F150 eco 2.7L thing but found out towing, loaded it does no better than the 5,0L and no better than my $12K TJR.... so I'm still driving the 4.0L, almost 40 year old straight six in a TJR.

Seems the 2.7L is setup to replace the minivan. If mostly you commute with it the 2.7 is likely the best buy. But towing the 2.7 has no advantage. I'd go for the V8 every time.

Where I love the AMC straight six is crawling around on logging road spurs. Second gear, 700rpm, nothing pulls as smooth as old school technology.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1