F800 Large Touratech Tank Build

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
What did you do to the front (or front & rear) suspension to handle the additional weight?

I did progressive springs in the front. Even if you don't have the big tank, I would suggest the upgrade for anyone with a GS800. I'm considering a Ralle-Moto damper as well.

I haven't done anything to the back to this point, but I will probably upgrade in the future.

Bi_Lto

TT Tank is a great option

After just returning from a 7,000 mile circle in Southern Africa on my 800gs, I am set on also getting the bigger tank. I like your color scheme and was thinking of doing the inverse you did of the yellow and black check pattern. The guys at TT also rarely run the tank full on any route but they definitely need more then the 200 for lots of Western US routes. Mine was getting a bit less then that partly due to the larger rear sprocket I put on, fully loaded kit, and often high speeds on the pavement and good "B" dirt roads. The other great additions that helped the most after protection pieces were the Ohlins rear, progressive front springs and the Aussie steering damper. :wings:

http://www.africaonags.com

I reallllly like the 800 in comparison to my old rides, and although there is some give and take, I'm happy with the decision to go with the big tank. If I want to have something to "throw around" in the brush I have my KTM 530.

Ok, just making sure you have your bases covered.:sombrero:

I think an idea setup for me would be a KTM640ADV and a Yamaha WR250R (with big tank). For the riding I like to do.

Anyways. Looks good!

Is that for the 800? If so, who makes it, and how much of a pain was it to install?

My tank looks big, but it's fairly thin. Doesn't hold as much, but I think that will be better when dealing with it off road. If you look at the straight on shots of the 800 on the Touratech OBDR ride, it actually doesn't look that much wider than the stock fairings/plastic... YouTube- Touratech and GlobeRiders OBDR Motorcycle Adventure

And now that i see that video, I could also add (or replace) the 640 KTM with that 650 Xchallenge.:drool: But, screw the metal panniers offroad..... suckage.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I did progressive springs in the front. Even if you don't have the big tank, I would suggest the upgrade for anyone with a GS800. I'm considering a Ralle-Moto damper as well.

I haven't done anything to the back to this point, but I will probably upgrade in the future.

The front is definitely a bit mushy from the factory. The rear shock is also pretty much standard BMW -- uninspiring. I have Race Tech parts at both ends (GS3 shock in the back, heavier linear rate springs up front). It is a whole different bike now. Still not a 'dirt bike' -- but it is a lot of fun on the B routes.

A steering damper makes a big difference on these bikes too. I'm really happy with the Scotts damper on mine.

As for the range . . . yea, it's a bit lacking from the factory. Running hard (keeping in mind that 'hard' on a near 500 pound dual sport is very different than 'hard' on a plated dirt bike), I get ~150 - 175 indicated miles when the light comes on (leaving me with ~1.1 gallons). That puts me in the neighborhood of 220 miles before I have to start pushing. I wish it held another gallon so I could leave the spare gas at home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal