Fire extinguishers...

Any recommendations for a great ABC rated fire extinguisher for keeping in the vehicle? How about one that comes with a great mount that can handle the abuse seen by off-road vehicles? Maybe I should just get a plain old Kidde extinguisher and a couple of quick-fist setup?

Thoughts?

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I understand that the ABC extinguishers chemical agent wreaks havoc with electrical components making restoration after a fire difficult and expensive.

For that reason I carry a Kidde BC 3-inch diameter fire extinguisher mounted in my cab secured by a QuickFist (Super QF because of its smaller size and adjustability than the QF Hose clamp).

jcbrandon

Explorer
I've been very happy with a HalGuard mounted with a Quickfist. It's a halon substitute and not ABC rated. The manufacturer does make a dry chemical extinguisher that is rated ABC:
http://www.h3rperformance.com/maxout_products.htm

If it's helpful, here's the thread on my HalGuard. It includes pictures of the mount set up:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16679

Edit: You can also find that thread by clicking "fire extinguisher" in the "tags" area down near the bottom of this page.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Wow! Impressive price for a BC-rated 2.5 lb HalGuard - $120.00. :Wow1: Not that it's not worth every penny but a BC-rated 2.5 lb Kidde was less than $20.00 at Home Depot. It still worked on an engine fire pretty quickly...

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I understand that the ABC extinguishers chemical agent wreaks havoc with electrical components making restoration after a fire difficult and expensive.

You should see the Havoc wreaked when a fancy fire extinguisher just doesn't work so the vehicle just keeps burning... The gasseous extinguishers do sometimes have difficulty with underhood fires.

In my opinion, if you're going to try a HalGuard type extinguisher, I would at least carry a backup dry chemical bottle. Try the HalGuard first, and if that doesn't get it, then use the dry chemical.

jh504

Explorer
I carry at least a 10lb ABC extinguisher, that you can pick up at any industrial supply or hardware store. If I have to use it on my car it will give me an excuse to pull the 3.0 and go to a 3.4!

Thanks for the advice all. I'm a little weary of spending a big chunk of change on one of the Halguard extinguishers since there seems to not be anyone that I've come into contact with that has actually used one on a fire. On top of that, I'm suspecting that in my case, the greatest fire threats in order would be:

a) General fire suppression- who knows when/where you'll need an extinguisher.
b) Putting out a fire on the side of the road (smokers- need I say more?)
c) Putting out someone else's vehicle fire in traffic (I see a car-b-que probably once or twice per year in city traffic).
d) Putting out a fire on someone else's vehicle on-trail.
e) Putting out a fire in/on my own vehicle.

So I think an ABC extinguisher would be the appropriate way to go for me.

The last one there, "e," would likely be either an electrical or flammable liquids fire, and my bet would be electrical over the liquids. I'm no expert, but it seems to me that many (if not most) of the vehicle fires out there start as electrical fires, then catch some grease/oil on fire. If this is the case, then I'm pretty sure that the majority of the electrical system would be shot (and need replacement) anyways, so the thought of putting down some corrosive dry chemical doesn't really worry me.

Any thoughts on this?

Also, if my truck had a medium to major fire, I'd be replacing it anyways. Heck, even if it was a small fire I'd probably replace it- one never knows what might be damaged by smoke/excess heat in a newer vehicle, and I'm not all that attached. Besides, I'd be surprised if an insurance company would not total a vehicle even in the case of a small fire. I think I've talked myself into an ABC dry chemical extinguisher here. Any recommendations on a rugged/robust 5 lb model?

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Just be sure to take it out every couple of months or after a rough trip and break up the compound inside with a rubber mallet to the outside. Make sure you don't hear/feel the powder act as one big block.

If this was a duh post, I apologize.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Not a "duh!" post at all. I suspect most folks don't know the reason for the annual inspections is essentially to do what you're suggesting; knock the powder loose. Over time the powder will condense and compress just from the subtle vibrations of sitting on a floor. Imagine what it will do in a vehicle!

I turn mine over in their horizontal clamps ever month or so. Annually I give them some rubber mallet attention just to be sure.

As I recall there is a thread on this topic with a bunch of input. It was geared more towards using one of the race car type on-board extinguisher systems, but it had some good discussion in it.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Great thread, i think ours is from 2004. If so, i need to check it or replace it. Thanks for the reminder.

cruisertoy

Explorer
I think the most important thing is that you carry one. 5 years ago I was 3 cars back from a stop light when it turned green. The Datsun truck in fron didn't move and the guy infront of me went around it. I noticed smoke coming from the front of the truck. Some guy (turned out to be the father) jumped out of the bed and ran off down the road. A huge lady got out of the drivers side and was screaming frantically about her son being stuck. As I ran to the truck (no extinguisher in my cruiser at the time) there were flmes coming out of the hood. I jumped in on top of this big woman and tried to get the seat belt off of the 2 yr old.

I reached for the knife I always carry and remembered I had left it in my work pants in a rush to change clothes and get to a family dinner. I jumped out of the truck and ran around to the pass. side window and punched it with my fist. It must be easier to do in the movies cause it hurt like a mother and wouldn't break. I then jumped back in without the woman in the cab this time and was able to get the kid out. The whole time the truck was lurching forward into the intersection because the starter was messed up on the fire. I'll never forget the black smoke coming through the air vents into the cab.

How much easier and safer would it have been to just put the fire out when it was small. I'm never without a knife now unless I'm flying. I've got a large handled pry bar and a fire extinguisher in the cruiser now. In a true emergency, who cares about wiring? Better safe than sorry.

kjp1969

Explorer
I'd suggest getting two. They're small and cheap, and if you ever need one, you're going to want two of them. You'll want one easy to reach while you're still belted in the driver's seat, and another in the back cargo area, ideally in an unlocked area so that you can get to it without having to fumble with keys. That should pretty much cover it.

jh504

Explorer
I'd suggest getting two. They're small and cheap, and if you ever need one, you're going to want two of them. You'll want one easy to reach while you're still belted in the driver's seat, and another in the back cargo area, ideally in an unlocked area so that you can get to it without having to fumble with keys. That should pretty much cover it.

I would suggest two as well if your getting a 5lb. They go VERY quick on a car fire. I have gone through 3 5lbs before on a car fire, and it was still going when FD got there.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Also, if my truck had a medium to major fire, I'd be replacing it anyways.

Yeah... at some point you have to decide if you're just going to let it burn...

I reached for the knife I always carry and remembered I had left it in my work pants in a rush to change clothes and get to a family dinner. I jumped out of the truck and ran around to the pass. side window and punched it with my fist. It must be easier to do in the movies cause it hurt like a mother and wouldn't break.

Yes... I was in a junk yard once and decided to try breaking a window just for fun with a hammer. I was surprised how hard it was. I'd say that it would be impossible for any human to break a car window with any part of their upper body. Maybe, MAYBE if they were strong you could kick it in.

I have actually thought that those window breaker hammer things might be a good accessory to have.

The last one there, "e," would likely be either an electrical or flammable liquids fire, and my bet would be electrical over the liquids.

I don't know what the statistical breakdown would be, but liquid fires are common as well. They can also be hard to put out, especially if the liquid is still spraying onto a hot part

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1