First Land Rover!

I bought my first Land Rover yesterday, and I must say that it's a pleasure to drive. I was torn between a Land Cruiser and a Disco 2. I found a great deal on the Disco(for Mississippi, it's a great deal), so I jumped on it.
Coincidentally, this is my first post to ExPo. I've been reading and researching here, as well as searching for a vehicle for awhile now. I must say that you all are very helpful, and the wealth of information on this site is overwhelming.

I looked forward to utilizing this great resource and picking your brains in the future!

Cheers!

-Richard
Disco.jpg

Attachments

• Disco2.jpg
    Disco2.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 52

wildorange

Observer
Looks a very nice example, hours of fun lay ahead not only modding but taking it above & beyond ;-)

Welcome to the forum.

99Discovery

Adventurer
Awesome! Looks good!

Now get that serviceable front shaft, an ultraguage, and a 180 T-stat on order and she should serve you for many miles to come!

crash!!!

spend some money on an ultra gauge and a code reader such as an icarsoft930. do you know the history of the vehicle? head job? 3 amigos? etc. I have had a good time with my 99, but it keeps me busy repairing and modifying. good luck.

Thanks everyone! I put about 250 miles on her in the first couple days. Its a 2003 with 118k miles, i got it for $2500 at an auction where i work. The interior is immaculate, with only a bit of wear on the leather armrest. Rides like a dream too... After a year of having only a motorcycle, it's great.

I'm looking into putting a safari rack with lights, a brushguard(possibly with a winch), and a rack for jerry cans. But before I do any of that fun stuff, i'm going to replace the drive shaft and the thermostat. I did A LOT of research in the last month before i bought the Rover. What really swayed me towards this was the following it had.
So thank you all for helping me to pick this truck.

As far as the three amigos are concerned, the lights come on, but not every time. I've had rainy weather almost every day since I bought it, and I've read that sometimes they can pop on during rainy conditions.

BTW, I'm open to hearing any mod ideas you guys have, if you're in the mood for some vicarious living(just bear in mind i'm a (mostly)poor college student. haha). Also, the rednecks already gave me weird looks when I drove through the mudholes.

carts

Adventurer
BTW, I'm open to hearing any mod ideas you guys have, if you're in the mood for some vicarious living(just bear in mind i'm a (mostly)poor college student. haha). Also, the rednecks already gave me weird looks when I drove through the mudholes.[/QUOTE]

Hi Rick I have had a few discos and they are in my opinion what you make of them, if you love them then they love you back if you neglect them then have a good pair of boots!!
On a budget then my advise well at least from my experience from living and working in the deserts of Australia is a good pair of shock absorbers, most of the rest feed our egos and do help yes I know they do.
Here is a picture comparison of a pair of shocks on my disco the one on the car is after a few trips to the folks place in the country, the one of the car is exactly the same make and model after doing the canning stock route. The black/yellow sludge is the rubber that melted from getting so hot. The shock still works but for safety I swapped them out now its a spare. One of the funnest things I was out in the Pilbara for work and met a film crew who were filming some Mercedes doing the stock route and they had blown a large number of shocks. Hundreds of thousands of dollars of cars and advertising held up by a few hundred dollars of shocks.
advise is cheep so feel free to ignore mine
I do like your disco.
Cheers Carts from WA

Attachments

• shock.jpg
    shock.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 24

Howski

Before you start hanging racks, lights and bumpers all over it take it out in the woods. You don't need to take it on the Rubicon trail but go out with a few other vehicles and find its shortcomings in comparison to them. Go to a Rover event, talk with other owners and ask them the advantages and pitfalls of modifications they've made to their vehicles. Aside from that it's hard to suggest any modifications, it really depends on what do you want to do with the vehicle. From someone who has owned several Rovers, including 2 Disco 2's, I'd highly suggest going no higher than 2" of lift and 265/75 or 255/85 tires. Things get pricey after that and also significantly impair the mileage and drivability of the vehicle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design