FJ40 Revival Design Project

FeroTobak

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the community here, and have been following for a while, glad to join!

I am a car design student in Los Angeles, CA, and for my final project I am working on creating a serious offroader, inspired by the original FJ40 Land Cruiser. I think there is a sincere lack of affordable, barebones SUVs on the market today that are designed for serious wheeling and easy modification by the enthusiasts that own them. The project is very future focused, but I want it to reflect what people are actually looking for.

I have put together a quick 10 question survey, and would appreciate your time to fill it out. I will use the info from this survey to better understand what the offroading community is looking for in a 4x4, and how people are using their vehicles in the real world.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VC8RWGV

Thanks for your time!

Fero

Skids HJ61

Observer
Done, good luck mate with the project...we need more guys like you who don't want to make them so reliant on computers and gadgets. We seriously need some low budget, low tech easily modified trucks. The last ones like this are getting on in age and mileage.....

FeroTobak

Thanks guys! So far the feedback has been very useful, and its encouraging that you're excited about the concept! Cheers

Glorybigs

Adventurer
Done but the generic questions didn't really lead me to believe the information will assist you in your stated quest.

Here are some really basic deign standards you could use.

Design wheel well openings to accommodate tires with a 35" od and with minor modification a 37" od tire.
Design engine, trans and all running gear/suspension to withstand the dynamic loads and cyclic cycles of extreme off roading with the additional weight and stresses of the larger tires/extra payload.
Design an electrical system that is water resistant, easy to add accessories onto such as aux fuse boxes/relays inside the cab and under the hood, multiple 12v/USB outlets, etc.
Design the interior that will not scratch/tear/break easily, will not fade/crack from long term uv exposure and is easy to clean/maintain. The seats should be suspension supported and designed to prevent fatigue.
Finish the body panels with a scratch resistant coating to prevent pin striping and finish the frame, axles, bumpers with marine grade rust inhibitor.

I gotta get back to work but you get the idea. :coffee:

zelatore

Explorer
I'm with Glory on this - good luck and all, but I don't see how the info on the questionnaire will help? Nothing related to how you use the truck (other than 'rocks/mud/forest'). Nothing about what sort of capabilities you would want/need... Maybe I just don't understand market research! (that might also explain why so many poplar cars/TV shows/etc I find awful)

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Filled out the survey, good luck with the project. I'm guessing you're at Pasadena Art center? If so I'm guessing your focused more on the styling and exterior design, rather than the actual nuts and bolts of the technical details.

FeroTobak

Thanks so much for the advice! I am at Art Center, and so we don't get into the nuts and bolts of engineering, but for this sort of project it is really important to understand how people use their 4wds, and what gear it must accomodate. I know the survey seemed a bit generic, but it was important to help me understand what sort of equipment is common vs. what gear may be needed for only specific terrain. My focus at this stage is on the packaging layout. Based on the survey, it sounds to me that things like an integrated air compressor, first aid kit, and basic recovery tools should be integrated, but also be easy to swap out.
Most people in the survey said they do all/most of their own repairs, so easy access to the engine (360degree) and spare parts could look cool as well as have real world benefit.
Ive also been talking to friends that have been into offroading for a while, and getting to know when to go for independent suspension vs. solid axle, what the wheelbase means for how it would behave, etc.

Skids HJ61

Observer
Thanks so much for the advice! I am at Art Center, and so we don't get into the nuts and bolts of engineering, but for this sort of project it is really important to understand how people use their 4wds, and what gear it must accomodate. I know the survey seemed a bit generic, but it was important to help me understand what sort of equipment is common vs. what gear may be needed for only specific terrain. My focus at this stage is on the packaging layout. Based on the survey, it sounds to me that things like an integrated air compressor, first aid kit, and basic recovery tools should be integrated, but also be easy to swap out.
Most people in the survey said they do all/most of their own repairs, so easy access to the engine (360degree) and spare parts could look cool as well as have real world benefit.
Ive also been talking to friends that have been into offroading for a while, and getting to know when to go for independent suspension vs. solid axle, what the wheelbase means for how it would behave, etc.

Sounds like you have some great ideas, be sure to share them with us when you have some designs bedded down....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design