Flatbed M116A3, Drop Axles, Runflats, Double-Beadlocks, 12V Rewire

I am selling my ex-Marines M116A3 Flatbed trailer, registered and plated in California. This is the model with the largest/strongest frame and the full-size flatbed (the other models have the corners cut off). This model is the only one with drop axles (Like a Unimog has), and comes with 36" double-beadlock, runflat, DOT-legal tires. No rust. This trailer also has an adjustable rear landing-leg and the forward bolts that secure the flatbed to the frame can be removed and exchanged for pins and the trailer can be used in a dump-bed configuration.

Dimensions as follows:
-Flatbed: 96.25" Long x 73.5" Wide
-Wheel Wells: 14.25" Wide x 24.75" Long x 10.875" Tall

I have rewired the trailer from military 24V to civilian 12V, used new military light housings and 12v lights. Uses a 7-pin standard trailer plug and can be used with a 4-pin plug adapter as well. Military bedliner and CARC paint. Has lunette hitch and I will include my pintle receiver in the sale. The trailer has hydraulic surge brakes with a mechanical breakaway system.

The only issue with the trailer is that the shock absorber that controls the braking motion is blown, so I have the brake mechanism locked out using the lockout pin hole. I've contacted Turtle Mountain (the manufacturer) and they quoted me $40 for a new shock absorber.

This trailer is 600lbs lighter than the newest generation aluminum trailers. Read that again, I'm serious.

I bought the trailer to build a camper out of but we have decided we are going to build a pop-up camper for our truck instead. We will be moving out of state and would like to sell the trailer by the end of February. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Price is $1400 or best offer. I also have this for sale on Craigslist. Trailer is located in Southern California, city of Upland. Please call or text (909)-319-6352 or email mdethloff@hotmail.com

IMG_3912.jpg
IMG_3916.jpg
IMG_3923.jpg
IMG_3913.jpg

Last edited:
MagicMtnDan: The trailer weighs 670lbs as it sits. A big portion of that is in the wheels being that they are 36" tires with magnesium I-beam runflats inside and a PVC ring inside that squeezes the tire beads against the outer beadlock rings to make it a double beadlock. If you need it lighter you can disassemble the wheels, remove the runflat or runflat and beadlock, and reassemble without. Or swap tires and wheels. It has the Dodge/Chevy 8 on 6.5" lug-centric pattern.

Ozrockcat: I was off on my weight of your trailer then, I thought they were a little heavier. I'm still blown away that when they went from a steel trailer to an aluminum trailer they somehow doubled the weight haha! Mine is 670lbs as stated above so mine is around 550-600 lbs lighter than yours is. I will edit this in my original post, thank you for the info!

4x4runner: I do not know the dimensions of the shocks. I could unbolt one and figure it out. I just locked the trailer up for the weekend but will have it back out next in two weeks. How bad and how fast do you need to know?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design