Fly Fishing: My first fish

Ridgewalker

Adventurer
Welcome to the flyfishing world!:wings: Been flyfishing since about 1960. Tied my own until a few years back when my eyesight began failing for close in (even with 2.5x glasses).

Used to we used big flies on trout, ie, #8-12. Now everyone uses #18-24 flies. Yikes! I cannot even see them, much less tie one on. That's the guides' problem.

Also, I hate it when my better half catches the fish. We were just on the Oregon coast where we hired a guide to show us how to catch chinook salmon. It was trolling through a gauntlet of boats, but when I caught nothing and she caught an 18 lb and a 28 lb chinook, I was so proud! She did everything just as the guide told her perfectly! Check out the pic.

Still there's nothing like bringing in a fish on a fly (especially if you tied it). No matter what size. Me I love back country brookie streams with no one else around.

Enjoy what I am sure will become your new found passion!

Attachments

• 09 012 Judy's 28 lb and 18 lb salmon.jpg
    09 012 Judy's 28 lb and 18 lb salmon.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 245

Scott Brady

Founder
How fun would that fight be!

attachment.php

mrbishi

Adventurer
Those are some beauts :)

The world of Saltwater fly fishing certainly is different to you guys chasing trout. I don't know how you manage to tie flies with such small hooks. I tie but the smallest I generally go down to is a 1/0 and commonly tie 6/0s for the bigger critters :D

72704591_ad4bd669ba.jpg

72704585_c3e379c9ff.jpg

Probably the most memorable was tangling with 50lbs of angry Giant Trevally off the shore - took almost an hour to land it on 12wt gear !

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Congrats Scott & Stephanie! Just got back from my first fly fishing for silvers in Alaska. Until I broke my Sage rod catching them on the fly rod was a hoot. Typically in years past the spin/bait cast rigs woop on the fly-boys. But not this year: Just the other way around. Cool indeed.

Note to self: Always take a spare fly rod to parts unknown ;-)

Alaska next summer Scott for Kings?!

atavuss

Adventurer
I had not fly fished for probably 15 years or more. last week I dug out all my dusty fly equipment and went to the West Carson River which is about 30 minutes from Lake Tahoe. ended up catching 3 to 5 lb. rainbows until my wrist and arm could not take it anymore. kept enough for a fine dinnner.

carson%20river%20rainbows.jpg

Wander

Expedition Leader
First fish on your first cast on your first day!? it must be hard walking with that horse shoe up your @$$-:elkgrin: It took me about 6 months to catch my first- but I did catch A LOT of low hanging laurel branches in that time.

My favorite fly water so far is the Clark Fork in Montana-that was a dream trip. If you want a casting challenge come east sometime and fish western NC-tight, small streams that require a stealthy and quiet presentations and small flies but that just makes the fish you do catch even better. Enjoy!

If you happen to be in the Missoula area head up to Anaconda and fish the head waters of the Clark Fork- it can get a little crowded at times but that's because the trout are monsters! I wouldn't handle them for long-let alone eat them due to the run off of the copper mines still in the water but it sure is fun. I thought trout that big only existed in magazines.

Last edited:

muskyman

Explorer
Scott you have opened a door that is hard to close.

I have been chasing fish with fly tackle a long time and as my screen name says I like to fish for musky.

when you are up there in alaska go find some pike as well...it will be well worth the search.

Thom

Attachments

• caught.JPG
    caught.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 28
  • fight.JPG
    fight.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 32
  • fly caught.JPG
    fly caught.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

ignorant

Observer
I'm going to dig up this old thread because, I'm jonsing for more fishing time..

I bought a fly rod and some equipment in High School and put it away after one fishless summer.(I tried, It was in the back seat of my jeep constantly) I went away to college and didn't pick it up again until 13 years later in 2008. My wife and friend purchased a half day trip for me and his wife. (She fishes, he dosen't. My wife dosen't fish either.) We did the trip with http://www.curtiswrightoutfitters.com/WadeTrips.html It was well worth the money.

I finally caught a fish.

P1020271.JPG

That was July 2008.

Fast Forward to now. I've moved from Charleston SC to Connecticut, as a refugee of the auto industry melt down. I'm 31 married with a baby and have a very demanding job as part of a leadership development program...

Buttt..... Lookeee What my inlaws gave me this year..

DSC_0112.JPG

I'm going fishing this year. I'm in Glastonbury CT. Anyone want a fishing buddy, send me a PM.

Fish on!

flywgn

Explorer
Congratulations on receiving the waders, Iggy (Sorry, it's difficult for me to call someone 'ignorant'.)

You have a wonderful trout stream about an hour west of you. 'Course you probably already know this, but the Housatonic is a fabulous stream, especially around West Cornwall. A plus on this river is the fact that you also have small-mouth bass to cast to. What a bonus!

Have fun.

Allen R

ignorant

Observer
Congratulations on receiving the waders, Iggy (Sorry, it's difficult for me to call someone 'ignorant'.)

You have a wonderful trout stream about an hour west of you. 'Course you probably already know this, but the Housatonic is a fabulous stream, especially around West Cornwall. A plus on this river is the fact that you also have small-mouth bass to cast to. What a bonus!

Have fun.

Allen R

Thanks, I also want to explore the Farmington.

You can call me, Russ. The screen name is a hold over from my early internet days. It is not intended to be a negative, but only to be a reminder that no matter how much we think we know, the less we actually do....

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Caught my first monster (to me anyway) trout earlier this week. Took me almost 1/2-hour to get this to my buddy's arms for a couple photos, revive and release. 10-ish pound Cutthroat. It was a super thrill to catch...and it was the first fish on my new 5wt Z-Axis! BTW: Love the rod!!!

Attachments

• Cutthroat.jpg
    Cutthroat.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 39

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1