FM82 Offroad Teardrop Build

Cut out the pull notches before priming, and decided to add a bevel to the rear of the notches. Cool how little additions like this make a big improvement.
79ff04e5c28219f0d69b98a1c642d3cf.jpg
ce3097a3715a3d78b8a18cb8081f453a.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

It is MDF. There may be another, simpler way to do it, but what I've always done, and plan to do here is seal it with resin. With the edges, and most definitely the corners being the biggest concern, I knock all of the corners down first. Just enough of a rounded edge so that the hardened resin can protect the corners. I may end up doing several coats on MDF since it absorbs so readily, but basically it will be coated, sanded smooth, then recoated until the surface is to my liking. After that, just go over with an oil based primer and paint.

Slowly moving along, but moving along at least. Here are a few pictures of a bit more progress. Unfortunately, I'm beginning to feel like this is going to be one of those where pieces are near to fully completed, but never seen together until later.

Anyway, here's where I am now...

- Headliner and front wall are ready to be drilled for lights, then covered.
- Wall compartments/cabinets are 98% complete.
- The main cabinet's front, and doors are resin coated and nearly ready for paint.(pictured below with the standing water)

I'm at a standstill with the wiring, headliner, and cabinet progress until a parts shipment arrives.

On a side note, I just discovered today that Tapatalk has been uploading my pictures too big, and thrown within my text, so I'm trying something different. I'm without DSL from the recent hurricane, so I'm unable to do this from my laptop. If my posts remain the same, will someone let me know? Thanks!
372fbad8c45dc3d054fa208c33a3b09f.jpg
8e3b4b8320385960a8ae158a40a5fa32.jpg
7015abe75d83aa738be14c956ac483b3.jpg
3d595957cb874a72b387de3670c8cdf1.jpg

Question:

I'm wanting to mount my fender well linings in such a way so that they can be removed easily, but still be able to keep water out. If I'm thinking right, butyl tape wouldn't be the best route to take for this, right?
My second thought was using standard foam type weather sealant stripping, but I'm not 100% sure how well it would keep water out, or the longevity of it's ability.
Third thought was to do the same thing as seen behind automotive door panels, where they take a heavy duty plastic sheet and seal it to the metal on the door with a putty-like bead. In this case, I would just use butyl tape. This route sounds ideal, but I would have many seams to worry about, having all of the angles.

Any suggestions?

More progress pictures! :thumbs up:

First, the headliner. It is nearly completed. As you can see in the picture, I have 7 missing pieces at some of the seams. Those will be added when I get to the walls surrounding the doors. A bit of trimming will need to be done when it's time for the fan to go in, but that will be a quick and simple task.

After juggling a few ideas, I opted for headliner material. The type that I used is made up of flat knit style, brushed tricot polyester with a foam backing. Fairly water resistant, and easy to wipe clean.

The 1/8" aluminum flat bar was mainly for the aesthetics, but also provided added support the paneling.

b80184a9ed5956c6b80ead7dfebd1fa7.jpg
6273b636c3b980ee0915992582191921.jpg

The wiring throughout the walls is complete. Not much to show here. The three splices that I made were reconnected with soldering and covered with standard heat shrink tubing. For now, all of the wiring is nested up in the spot where the fuse panel will be located. Tidying everything up, and making all of the final connections will come a little later.
bf75fbd5805cb9bc9978b41266fb7414.jpg

Lastly, I've nearly finished a couple of panels for the front wall. The cutouts will be used to hold small items (cell phone, keys, wallet, etc.) Once I finish them at a later time, it's simplistic functionality will make more sense.

The panels were covered in marine grade vinyl, and a color that isn't ideal, but it was free, so I couldn't complain. I've changed the color since taking these pictures, but I'll get new pictures when they are 100% complete.
e7d53c2d4a3ea88c26a43a694e4b8c00.jpg

andrew22ha

Love the marine vinyl, so clean looking, great job with the panels. I am getting ready to move back to the inside cabin on my build once I finish the galley soon and was curious how you liked the vinyl as well as the headliner material you picked?

Also where in Florida are you? I am in St Augustine and we lucked out on the past two hurricanes. Glad to see you got this thread going again!

Love the marine vinyl, so clean looking, great job with the panels. I am getting ready to move back to the inside cabin on my build once I finish the galley soon and was curious how you liked the vinyl as well as the headliner material you picked?

Also where in Florida are you? I am in St Augustine and we lucked out on the past two hurricanes. Glad to see you got this thread going again!
Thanks! St. Augustine, I've been there a couple times. Very cool place to visit. I'm in the panhandle. We happened to be right in the path of the hurricane's eye. Quite a lot of destruction from the coast, all the way up to the north border. Unreal, really. Never experienced anything like it.

About the camper though, I really like both materials. This grade of vinyl I've used for many years, and it's very durable. Really close to feeling like leather, unlike others I've seen, and tried. Another thing is that it takes in vinyl dye really well, if you decided to change the color, or couldn't find the exact color vinyl you wanted. As for the headliner, only time will tell, but so far I'm really happy with it. The material that it's made from should hold up really well, and clean up easily.

andrew22ha

Thanks! St. Augustine, I've been there a couple times. Very cool place to visit. I'm in the panhandle. We happened to be right in the path of the hurricane's eye. Quite a lot of destruction from the coast, all the way up to the north border. Unreal, really. Never experienced anything like it.

About the camper though, I really like both materials. This grade of vinyl I've used for many years, and it's very durable. Really close to feeling like leather, unlike others I've seen, and tried. Another thing is that it takes in vinyl dye really well, if you decided to change the color, or couldn't find the exact color vinyl you wanted. As for the headliner, only time will tell, but so far I'm really happy with it. The material that it's made from should hold up really well, and clean up easily.

What is the name of the vinyl and the headliner? Where did you purchase? I have been delaying the inevitable of skinning the ceiling of the cabin. The bendable plywood I used on the hatch didn't fare very well because of the radius I had and formed some slight cracks. I am still going to put it up because I bought it and I can't return it. So my debate was what to put over it. I like the idea of the headliner. Will do some further research. Thanks FireMedic.

Sorry to hear about the destruction. Hurricanes are no joke and fortunately I hadn't built my trailer yet for the last two hurricanes that came up the east coast.

To be honest, I'm not sure of the brand. I still have a connection through a local business that allows me to order the vinyl through there. The company it's coming from though, is Masco Fabrics in Birmingham, Alabama. Over the years, we've tried to convince them to open other avenues for customers, but unfortunately all they do now is supply someone with a business license. I feel pretty sure you could get it elsewhere online, or something similar. If it were me, I'd give Masco a call, and ask them about their fabrics. They have a website. Just search for Masco Fabrics.

The headliner I bought from Albright's Supply, through ebay. Here is their ebay link. https://ebay.com/usr/albrights1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design