Folding CB antenna mount

waterboy222

Adventurer
I only use my CB when I'm on the road and I was wondering if a folding antenna mount would affect SWR or if the mounts would even work. Im thinking something like this:
41LGy8fKkkL.jpg

I know this one is for marine applications but do they make one for CB? Id like to be able to fold it up when I'm on the road and down when I'm offroad. It would be mounted to one side of my roofrack and with a 4' firestick, it would be able to lay down inside the basket pretty easily when not in use.

The next issue is how it would ground. The basket is mounted to the plastic hardtop.. I would have to run a ground strap from inside the vehicle up to the basket that its mounted to.. Correct?

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Explorer
Hmmm... I seem to recall a number of folding 3/8-24 mounts available in the past, but all I'm finding now is this thing:
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cb-antenna-fold-over-adapter.html

Looks like it might be chinese junk. :(
I'm sure with a little ingenuity, that nice-looking marine mount could be modified to work with an antenna having a standard 3/8-24 thread.

Or maybe go with a Quick-Disconnect type mount instead.
Seems to have decent reviews...
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/firestik-cb-antenna-quick-disconnect.html

I have a Hustler QD-2 on mine which is a very nicely-made mount, though I think they quit making them.

As for grounding, how big is your roof rack? Is it metal? If it has large enough surface area, it might work as a decent RF ground by itself and you would only need to run a small wire (#12 or so) to your vehicle body or frame for a DC ground. A check of your antenna SWR should confirm whether it's working or if you need to ground it further.

SARguru

Observer
Check MFJ emterprise, they sell the type of mount you are looking for. I looked on the website but couldnt find the product nimber but have seem them at ham shops

Nic

iowalr4

Adventurer
Yep, quick disconnect. I dont use mine on the road normally, just for special occasions.

I ground to the bolt in my roof rack which goes into my roof. Perfect ground (on a big steel rover)

b3cc33d3-6a45-42b8-859b-13f53f49ef2a_zps53a897eb.jpg

VegasUnderworld

Adventurer
A good folding mount will run in the $30-50 range. For around $100, you can get a motorized folding antenna mount like the Diamond K9000LRM. It's a little bulky, but it does add a level of convenience you might want.

Last edited:

Per

Look at Sirio 5000 Turbo. It is an antenna with folding base. You just twist the antenna and fold it.

Expedition Leader
Be sure and test/trim for SWR after you add a quick-disconnect, they add length to the antenna system and will push your resonant frequency down lower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1