Ford’s new 6.8L V8

phsycle

Adventurer
Anyone know much about this engine? I actually had no idea Ford replaced the old 6.2 until I recently started playing with the Build&Price tool.

I’ve heard it’s a destroked 7.3? Why even have this engine as an option?
Hopefully it will be as stout as the one it replaced.

This engine can use E85 and have the propane conversion.
I know in the past the 7.3 didn't have those options, not sure about this year

tacollie

Glamper
It's supposed to get better mileage. From what I understand it shares some parts with the 7.3 so it may save Ford some money in production. Supposedly the internals aren't as stout as the 7.3.

The 6.8 comes with the 10r100 which should also help with mpgs. The 6.2 was mated to the 6r100 in the F250 and 10r140 in the F350 and the 6r140 in all trucks before '17.

Last time I checked the 6.8 was only available in basic XL trim trucks. Makes sense if they are targeting fleets using E85 or LP.

The 6.2 has been in production for 11 years. People like new things. We've been happy with the 6.2 but a lot of people don't like it.

phsycle

Adventurer
I was pricing out an XL. Interesting that it’s only offered in that trim. If I were to get an XL, it would seem to be worth the $1,700 upgrade to the 7.3. I can’t imagine the 6.8 getting much better MPG.

Having said that, I also priced out an XLT that comes standard with the 7.3. With similar options, the overall price was essentially the same (if not a little cheaper for the XLT). Both about $60k. Not like the old days (meaning, pre-pandemic) where XL’s could be had for thousands less than XLT.

XLT Tremor was $63.8k which would be the ticket for me as it comes with a lift and 35’s.

Last edited:

jbaucom

Having said that, I also priced out an XLT that comes standard with the 7.3. With similar options, the overall price was essentially the same (if not a little cheaper for the XLT). Both about $60k. Not like the old days (meaning, pre-pandemic) where XL’s could be had for thousands less than XLT.

I found the same thing. I priced an XL 6.8 with the STX package and it was more expensive than a 7.3 XLT with comparable features/creature comforts. In fact, the XLT Tremor was only about $3,000 more than the STX.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I was pricing out an XL. Interesting that it’s only offered in that trim. If I were to get an XL, it would seem to be worth the $1,700 upgrade to the 7.3. I can’t imagine the 6.8 getting much better MPG.

XLT Tremor was $63.8k which would be the ticket for me as it comes with a lift and 35’s.
That would be a nice truck!

Haven't seen you around here in a while. Figured you gave up on the site.

phsycle

Adventurer
That would be a nice truck!

Haven't seen you around here in a while. Figured you gave up on the site.

Life got hectic! Looking to get a new truck but can’t bring myself to pay pandemic prices. Luckily, I see some deals out there now with the economy slowing down. Maybe next year.
My F150 is still fine but I want a longer bed and want to add an AT Overland Habitat shell. Looking at either the Ford Tremor or Ram PW.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Life got hectic! Looking to get a new truck but can’t bring myself to pay pandemic prices. Luckily, I see some deals out there now with the economy slowing down. Maybe next year.
My F150 is still fine but I want a longer bed and want to add an AT Overland Habitat shell. Looking at either the Ford Tremor or Ram PW.
Both would be solid choices. Have you driven either yet?

phsycle

Adventurer
Both would be solid choices. Have you driven either yet?

Not the Ford yet. Not any Tremors around here.
Pending a test drive, I’ll probably go with the Tremor unless I can find the PW for cheaper. But dealers are quoting $68k for the PW with base options. Yikes.
I haven’t inquired about the F250 Tremor yet but online build was $59k. It’d be ready to go with 35’s and all (I’d want at least 35’s for the PW).

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Not the Ford yet. Not any Tremors around here.
Pending a test drive, I’ll probably go with the Tremor unless I can find the PW for cheaper. But dealers are quoting $68k for the PW with base options. Yikes.
I haven’t inquired about the F250 Tremor yet but online build was $59k. It’d be ready to go with 35’s and all (I’d want at least 35’s for the PW).
I've never driven either but, both look like nice trucks. Would you be looking at an F250 Tremor or F350 Tremor? I think that's one thing the Tremor has over the PW is the extra payload. But, it does sound like the PW would be better off road...

If it were me, I'd probably lean to a F350 tremor w/ the 7.3L and factory winch and call it done.

phsycle

Adventurer
I've never driven either but, both look like nice trucks. Would you be looking at an F250 Tremor or F350 Tremor? I think that's one thing the Tremor has over the PW is the extra payload. But, it does sound like the PW would be better off road...

If it were me, I'd probably lean to a F350 tremor w/ the 7.3L and factory winch and call it done.

I’d opt for the 250. The AT Habitat is fairly light and I’d appreciate the less stiffer ride (I’d assume that’s the case). I actually would be ok with the PW payload as well. Habitat is 340lbs. With the 5 of us and supplies, 1,200lbs is sufficient.

I’m still going back and forth. I love the looks of the PW and the fact it’s locked front and rear. I’m near Moab so it’d be great to have such a capable truck.
But love the 7.3L over the Hemi and the fact I can go 37’s without having to resort to a swing out bumper/Rigd (which I will not do).

Explorerinil

Observer
The 6.8 is cheaper to build than the complex 6.2. The 6.8 meets new emissions requirements and the 6.2 doesn’t. The 6.8 is a pushrod engine like the 7.3, but it does not have forged internals like the 7.3. The 7.3 is not flex fuel ready yet, it’s unknown if the 6.8 will be or not. I would take a 6.8 or even better, a 7.3 over the 6.2. The older 6.2 has 16 spark plugs, cam phasers and is much more complex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design