Ford or Ram?

IPA

Observer
Gas vs. Diesel costs

I've never owned a diesel, but I've always like them, even before they became "cool" like they are today. What really is the difference in operating cost with these new diesels?

Obviously the diesel costs more to buy initially. Also the fuel itself costs more (around here its about 20-30 cents more per gallon, which would easily negate any MPG savings), and I'm assuming basic maintenance like oil changes costs a little more. Anything else?

As for the increased complexity that everyone points out, are they just referring to the turbocharger and emissions stuff?

Been reading about the 6.7 PSD and even though lots of people were skeptical about the new design, I think they sound quite impressive. It sounds as though Ford keeps improving them every year. Of course everyone knows the Cummins sets the standard.

Haven't had time to go look at anything in person lately. Hoping to test drive two Rams (a gas and a diesel) as well as a PSD Ford this weekend.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Fuel filters are really expensive like 75 bucks a piece, and the truck has 2 of them. Those get replaced every 15k. I did the math and the diesel vs. gas at 26k miles per year for me is close to even in operating costs assuming the gas gets 4mpg worse than the diesel. Diesel cost 9k more upfront and is worth 5k more when it has 100k on the odometer. Bottom line gas is still cheaper if you don't need to tow 15k plus trailers, but after 100k I give the nod to gas because it'll cost a hell of a lot less to repair.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Fuel filters are really expensive like 75 bucks a piece, and the truck has 2 of them. Those get replaced every 15k. I did the math and the diesel vs. gas at 26k miles per year for me is close to even in operating costs assuming the gas gets 4mpg worse than the diesel. Diesel cost 9k more upfront and is worth 5k more when it has 100k on the odometer. Bottom line gas is still cheaper if you don't need to tow 15k plus trailers, but after 100k I give the nod to gas because it'll cost a hell of a lot less to repair.

+1. Gas is far more economical. Don't forget to include costly diesel repairs because the big 3 won't stand behind their product.

Only get a diesel, if your load requires it.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
There are many, many people running a 4wc in the bed of Power Wagons. No one has ever had an issue. There were 2 people who did it/have done it/are doing it full time all across the country . Hell, one even has a blog about it. 3" lift, 37's, Aluminess bumpers. It is a white 4th gen.

Same frame (actually stronger-more cross members), same axles (minus the lockers), same brakes, same tires. Not sure what you think won't hold up. I am not saying to grossly overload it at all, but there is a huge difference in carrying loads & carrying loads safely. The 1 ton helper springs helped my truck carry it's max load MUCH more safely & was MUCH easier to drive it at max load. 3rd Gen PW's actually have the 1 ton axle shafts inside the 10.5"AAM 14 bolt. They are 1.53" vs the 1.23" of a reg 2500 10.5"AAM 14 bolt.

If your truck is level in the rear at max load (or even a little above level), it makes it a world better to drive vs it squatted to the ground & your headlights pointing at the tree tops.

Can you point them out to me. I'd like to ask them if their up to date on their insurance, before I slam my truck into them and then we both cartwheel down a hill.

Easiest million dollars I'll ever make. Putting a slide-in camper onto a truck that's only rated to carry a couple sacks of potatoes, ain't exactly a bright idea. But hey it's your license and insure ability, do what you want to.

STREGA

Explorer
+1. Gas is far more economical. Don't forget to include costly diesel repairs because the big 3 won't stand behind their product.

This. I might add "if your load requires it often". I went back to a gasser myself.

Clutch

<---Pass

This. I might add "if your load requires it often". I went back to a gasser myself.

Kinda crazy that people think they need 950 ft lbs of torque now-a-days. Our medium duty trucks (C70 and F700) were gas, and they did just fine.

Of course I have some buds that have diesels that don't even own a trailer to tow nor a camper....believe most of it is about image.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

Im still torn between diesel and gas. I'm really close to ordering a new powerstroke. Sold my backhoe so nows it's just a mini-ex that weighs 15k with the trailer.

b9ev

Adventurer
15k pounds, I couldn't imagine towing that without a diesel. I know a gasoline motor will tow it but it would be frustrating. If you can afford diesel, get one.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Can you point them out to me. I'd like to ask them if their up to date on their insurance, before I slam my truck into them and then we both cartwheel down a hill.

Easiest million dollars I'll ever make. Putting a slide-in camper onto a truck that's only rated to carry a couple sacks of potatoes, ain't exactly a bright idea. But hey it's your license and insure ability, do what you want to.

You should start with all of the "built" Tacomas on this site...
Also, it won't matter if they are overloaded or not if you "slam my truck into them." If you are at fault, you are at fault.

In all of the years I have been reading forums, especially those concerning RV's, people like to bring up the liability of "overloading" a trucks GVWR and how buses full of nuns and blind children are in danger. No one that I have ever seen has been able to provide an example of an RV's type vehicle (which most are overloaded) was ever held to a higher standard of fault based on an accident. Most of the 5th wheels rolling down the road are way over on the pin weight for a SRW and yet there are plenty of those running around and no one seems to care. Class C's pretty much start out overloaded, before they are loaded/packed; no one seems to care.
On the way to Moab:
moab%20%202008%20001-L.jpg

Baja:
Baja%202006%20021-L.jpg

Alaska:
Alaska%202010%20038-L.jpg

I was over the GVWR, but well under the GAWR and tire ratings. Did over 50k miles with that set up and never had a tire related failure nor did the truck seem to care.
Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design