Ford or Ram?

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah you cant touch a similiarly equipped Ford for that price. Makes you wonder if one uses higher quality materials, or whats going on?

Is the Ford tax similar to the Toyota tax? ;)

The real way to tell is a long term test, and compare the amount of repairs at the end of it. Do it in 50K mile increments up to....I dunno... 200K miles.

IPA

Observer
http://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeep...ll-boise-60f0cdfd0a0e0adf6103ec11ed7e2818.htm

6d212c9afbdb44178845403387adf092x.jpg

:drool:

Clutch

<---Pass
That is a smokin' deal! I've never seen a new diesel under $40k. A dealer a little over an hour from me has a handful for the mid $40's, but that's the lowest I've seen until now.

Believe another member was saying that Dennis Dillon has some of the lowest prices in the nation.

Looks like this is the cheapest one according to the website. $35,386.

http://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeep...ll-boise-e0fe7e2e0a0e0a1733aaeffaa4464f71.htm

5165e357579cc7c102e5b2d152f91f10x.jpg

I am 5 or so minutes down the road from them, I'll cruise by and drool over the AEV's. Like that New Holland blue Ram has, would like to see an AEV Prospector in that color.

1c12d9168e1ae702bc318345d8f1bcc2x.jpg

Last edited:

IPA

Observer
So it looks like I've switched gears here recently. When I started looking around I was pretty sure I'd end up with a Ford F-250 6.2. But after a few weeks of communicating with Ford dealerships and many hours searching dealership websites, it has become pretty apparent that no one is willing to sell one for much at all below MSRP, and finding a base model with the combination of options I want has been impossible anyway. With the Ram's, I've found the complete opposite. Several dealership websites have really reasonable "bottom line" pricing listed right on the site. The dealership I visited earlier was no pressure but assured me that they really wanted my business and were willing to work with me. It also looks like with a Ram, I have my choice of a 6.4 gas for many thousands less than a comparable Ford 6.2, or a CTD for about the same price as the Ford 6.2. By contrast, I haven't seen a 2017 Ford PSD for less than $50k, and most are well above that.

So it looks like I'm going with a Ram, and quite possibly with a diesel. Just have to do some more homework. It's taking me longer than I expected because work has been super busy and we are short staffed, so I've been on call a lot so I can't go very far to visit the dealerships.

Clutch

<---Pass
So it looks like I'm going with a Ram, and quite possibly with a diesel. Just have to do some more homework. It's taking me longer than I expected because work has been super busy and we are short staffed, so I've been on call a lot so I can't go very far to visit the dealerships.

I can't remember who, but I think a couple members on here have bought from Dennis Dillon from out of state. I know some of the of the website prices might be a fishing lure to get people into the the dealer, but you never know....might be worth giving them a call. Might be cheaper to buy from them and have it shipped to you, or fly out and drive it back. Or perhaps get a local dealer to price match.

Note: I have no affiliation with Dennis Dillon dealership, just happen to live close to them and have poked around on their lot.

IPA

Observer
I can't remember who, but I think a couple members on here have bought from Dennis Dillon from out of state. I know some of the of the website prices might be a fishing lure to get people into the the dealer, but you never know....might be worth giving them a call. Might be cheaper to buy from them and have it shipped to you, or fly out and drive it back. Or perhaps get a local dealer to price match.

Note: I have no affiliation with Dennis Dillon dealership, just happen to live close to them and have poked around on their lot.

I was thinking the same thing. I might give them a call.....

Edit: I am a long way from Idaho (NC), but if I really could get one for $5k less that what I'd pay around here, it might be worth a quick flight out and a few day road trip back home.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I was thinking the same thing. I might give them a call.....

Edit: I am a long way from Idaho (NC), but if I really could get one for $5k less that what I'd pay around here, it might be worth a quick flight out and a few day road trip back home.

Yeah, I would call them up and ask them to give the no BS OTD price.

Be a good excuse to see some of the country too. This is a forum dedicated to overland travel after-all. :D

IPA

Observer
Yeah, I would call them up and ask them to give the no BS OTD price.

Be a good excuse to see some of the country too. This is a forum dedicated to overland travel after-all. :D

Exactly what I was thinking. It'd be really hard for me to get more than a couple days off right now, but even a few day winter road trip from Boise down through Utah and across CO would be pretty fun.

I'm definitely going to look into it. Thanks for the tip on that dealership.

p nut

butter
Just print out the offer and take it to your local dealer. I've been able to leverage out of state dealer offers with local guys.

Clutch

<---Pass
Exactly what I was thinking. It'd be really hard for me to get more than a couple days off right now, but even a few day winter road trip from Boise down through Utah and across CO would be pretty fun.

I'm definitely going to look into it. Thanks for the tip on that dealership.

You're welcome.

Do you need the truck right away? Betcha you don't have to hurry. I have been looking at their prices for about 2 years now, seems like they always have good ones going on. They are massive dealer here, anything from boats, RV's, powersports...several different vehicle lines. Guessing why their prices are so good.

Isn't Ram getting a refresh for 2018? Betting you can an even better deal on '16-17's when they hit the lots.

Just print out the offer and take it to your local dealer. I've been able to leverage out of state dealer offers with local guys.

Yep, that is what I was saying... see if they'll price match.

I sold my Cummins to buy my Power Wagon, and I'm still excited.

There, now that my heresy is out of the way :) I have owned two Cummins, a 2001 and a 1992, and I loved both. I have never driven the new 6.7's, but I understand them to be amazing. I was very very specific about my needs in buying this new truck though, and it is exactly what I wanted it to be. I bought a heavily used 2011 Ram 2500 SLT Power Wagon with all the options except for the sunroof and leather seats. This thing was a law enforcement truck from New Mexico with 150,000 miles and has been beat and thrashed, and still runs and rides like a dream - no squeaks, leaks, rattles, odd noises, anything. I totally agree that the Cummins will be more fun to drive. It isn't necessarily even about the power. I sold my 1992 Cummins to buy this truck, and I still miss driving the '92! It isn't how much torque it has, it's that the torque comes on right at the bottom that makes it fun. The Hemi is a higher-revving engine. This truck is probably 10x easier and more enjoyable to drive than my last truck in every aspect though haha. One of the deciding factors on me getting a Power Wagon was that it did NOT have the Cummins in it. The weight difference between the two motors is almost 800lbs! All that goes on the front axle and leads to poor ride quality offroad and more blown tires. Maintenance cost is higher on the Cummins, and unless you remove the emissions equipment on the Cummins I would actually put them in the same ballpark in terms of reliability. I absolutely love that my truck has a manual transfer case, full skidplates, front and rear lockers plus rear limited slip, 4.56 gears, the disconnecting swaybar that was copied to make the Rubicon's bar, and softer lifted springs. I am about to start building a pop-up camper for mine, and will be putting some serious King shocks on it soon as well.

On your question of the Power Wagon and weight capacity - the only thing dropping its payload is the rear springs. If you got a used 2003-2013 you could pay $1000 and get a Carli spring pack for the rear built to handle a constant 1500lbs in the bed, and still have a truck that blows both a standard Ram and Ford 250/2500 out of the water on ride quality. For the newer trucks, you can swap a regular 2500's springs into the rear and get all the payload you need, or put in Carli Long Travel airbags.

I love my 5.7 Hemi for what I use it for. It does great offroad, it weighs way less than a diesel, the center of gravity of the engine is super low in the engine bay, it is easy and cheap to work on with lots of knowledge out there. It gets crap fuel efficiency, but that is almost a complete wash against the Cummins due to maintenance costs and being beat up offroad.

If you have suspension questions, call Don Thuren at Thuren Fabrication or Radio at Carli Suspension. They are the pros and nobody else is at their level. I wouldn't touch AEV with a 20 foot pole, but that's my personal opinion. Their JK stuff is sweet, but the dropped the ball big time with the Rams. You can get a race-ready suspension kit from Carli or Thuren for less money than the AEV suspension kit that is nothing more than spacers and new shocks and a trackbar. Their bumper also fails to address any problems of the stock bumper... but it's pretty :)

Just my 2 cents, but I wish you the best looking for your new vehicle!

P.S. look on the PowerStroke Nation forum, then on the Power Wagon Registry forum and tell me which group is more helpful... :rolling:

jackattack

Observer
So it looks like I've switched gears here recently. When I started looking around I was pretty sure I'd end up with a Ford F-250 6.2. But after a few weeks of communicating with Ford dealerships and many hours searching dealership websites, it has become pretty apparent that no one is willing to sell one for much at all below MSRP, and finding a base model with the combination of options I want has been impossible anyway. With the Ram's, I've found the complete opposite. Several dealership websites have really reasonable "bottom line" pricing listed right on the site. The dealership I visited earlier was no pressure but assured me that they really wanted my business and were willing to work with me. It also looks like with a Ram, I have my choice of a 6.4 gas for many thousands less than a comparable Ford 6.2, or a CTD for about the same price as the Ford 6.2. By contrast, I haven't seen a 2017 Ford PSD for less than $50k, and most are well above that.

No surprise Ford is firm on the 2017 models. Next year, when the new Rams are released, there won't be a single one under MSRP and the Ford will be 15% below invoice.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Two 13 mile daily trips wouldn't be good on the diesel engine. Too bad you'd have to use it for a daily driver.
If that was my situation, I'd find some little POS electric vehicle for cheap, and then buy the truck of my dreams. :)

The new GM, Ford and Dodge trucks are pretty amazing. I don't envy your job to make this decision, but I'm excited to read which you get, and why.
Good luck on this! :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad