Ford Ranger build up....

jdholder

Explorer
Great truck! I'm a Ford man!!

Another thing you might think about is to add fiberglass fenders in the front and trim the rear to fit larger tires. It really does add a significant amount of room up front without changing the suspension at all. Then add good shocks, larger tires and you are ready to go!

outdoorsman

Great truck! I'm a Ford man!!

Another thing you might think about is to add fiberglass fenders in the front and trim the rear to fit larger tires. It really does add a significant amount of room up front without changing the suspension at all. Then add good shocks, larger tires and you are ready to go!

I don't think I can add fiberglass to the rear of the truck with the shell can I? I could also cut up the fenders and put on some bushwacker fender flares or something similiar, but I don't like that idea.

EDIT: I didn't read your post all the way through. That is an option too.

jdholder

Explorer
I think you will find that you don't need to do much to the rear to fit larger tires. It's usually the front that is the tough fitment because of the turning of the wheel. With Fiberglass Front fenders you gain a lot of clearance.

Just a thought.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Even in stock form you can fit a 33x10.50 on a 15x7. Or a 32x11.50.
With fiberglass fenders you could likely fit some 33x12.50's on a 15x8's, and pull the bedsides out about 2".

2008F450

Observer
Dixon Brothers Racing has 4x4 ranger suspension kits. Its pricey but seems well worth it. I am going to use a Camburg on my 2wd 01 I just purchased.

Mike.rider

Observer
Looks great! you have any pics of where your mounting your sliders, I have been working my mounting out.

oh and let the RF take over continue

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
These Rangers are great little trucks. I would love to build one up! When I was in CA, you never saw them, back here in NC, they're everywhere!!!!

outdoorsman

My rock sliders are just bolted to the fram using grade 8 hardware. The sliders are made out of .120 wall DOM. I had a rear support welded on for rear strength.

Here are a few pictures when they were first bolted up, currently more bolts have been added and the rear support which I don't have any pictures of.

Here is a picture where you can see the mounting brackets.
l_2af065c06f9b6f582a622dfff9047a-1.jpg

Here at the back of the slider there is a curved support that is now welded. If it were on when the picture was taken you would be able to see it in the crack between the bed and cab. Like here, if it were not an angled picture. It might look liek overkill and it probably is but these are solid!

100_2737-1.jpg

Some pictures from this past Monday, exploring, wheeling, having fun. Only damage is a missing backup light. I knew they wouldn't last long. Oh well...

The scenery after some 4 low climbing. The desert sure is pretty and green!
100_4749.jpg

Can you see the shack?
100_4751.jpg

Truck pictures
100_4756.jpg

100_4772.jpg

100_4783.jpg

100_4792.jpg

outdoorsman

Navigating our way to the shack. Neat little place. Some camping gear is stored in there.
100_4808.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

A major highway was going to go through this beautiful canyon but it was stopped.

100_4809.jpg

You're able to see where the road was going to go in the first scenery picture, top part of picture above, behind the green ridge/hill.

outdoorsman

I know I haven't updated this thread in a while, but here is the latest progress. I decided a SAS would be a good choice for me. Simple and strong.

It started out like any other small 4x4 pickup.

newtruck.jpg

Got some 31" BFGs, a rear Lock Right, some beefed up skid plates, CB, custom overbuilt D.O.M rock sliders, a front bumper since I destroyed the stock one, and a multi mount winch that I can use front or rear.

Here it is wheeling Montana Mountain.

New%20years%20day%2009%20164.JPG

Then after wheeling the back road to Crown King I realized it was time to lift it or something. Instead of a drop bracket waste of money lift I decided on a SFA. These Rangers have low hanging torsion bars and the only kit available now is a Superlift which uses all drop brackets and keeps the torsion bars nice an low. The problem is that unlike Toyotas where there are kits to help out, there are no products anything like a Toyota SAS kit. Everything was going to be custom.

I talked to a few people did some research and gave my truck to Hunter for the build. He strengthened up my sliders and did a few other small things a year before and I remembered his honesty and quality of work.

Here it is with the IFS stripped down.

DSCN0531.JPG

Dana 44 out of an 87' Wagoneer. Rebuilt and ready to go with new gears, a Lock-Right, high steer arm, and Warn Premium Hubs.

DSCN0558.JPG

John did some fancy metal work with the leaf brackets and to make everything work properly. I wanted a new front crossmember with a hitch incorporated in it.

1210091833-00.jpg

It's not completed but here is the general idea.

DSCN0714.JPG

Here is the steering shaft he built.

downsized_1218091405a.jpg

Here is the shock tower John built with a mock up shock.

Multimedrecent%20dec%2027.jpg

I used a old Toyota steering box with a flat pitman arm from Sky Manufacturing. This thing is beefy! The frame had to be notched in order for the TRE to clear. I always seemed to stop by in the middle of things because it obviously isn't all welded up here, but you get it.

downsized_0107001649a.jpg

While the holidays got in the way of my pitman arm being shipped, I had John make me a bumper.

1230091728-01.jpg

outdoorsman

Here it is getting ready to head off to get new brakes, gears, power steering lines, new 1/2" wheel studs (to match rear), alignment and a few other small things.

DSCN0798.JPG

DSCN0803.JPG

DSCN0804.JPG

DSCN0830.JPG

DSCN0827.JPG

It still needs a modified transmission crossmember for my front driveshaft which is on order. It also needs bumpstops and I will probably have an add a leaf added in the front.

cascadeoffroad

You may consider swaping the shackles front to rear. As shackle and leaf bushings wear, you will find that the front suspension will tend to make the vehicle wander. Jeep owners have been doing shackle reversals for years because of this issue. Other than that, great build!

-Tyler

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1