Ford Vrs Toyota course

Absolutely…

When we do our durability testing on an unladen vehicle it bounces all over the test track and often off the track (Bosch Proving Grounds in New Carlisle, IN to be exact) but once you add ballest (dead weight) to the load box it settles right down. You can actually watch the Hz frequencies go from a buzz to huge lumpy low digits when ballast is added. It is obvious to me the Ford has had ballest added.

Another durability testing thing that seems backassards is vehicles break less componets when fully laden (at GVWR) than unladen. Seems backwards but the data is there to prove it every time.

It's the inertia of weight. it takes more power or force to move something heavier in the same direction at the same speed.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Even other Toyota Fanboys acknowledge this problem, and don't think the Ford video was "faked", but they do think it may have been exaggerated.

To be honest, I would tend to agree with this sentiment. Of course Ford is going to design a course with obstacles that suit it's vehicle's strangths the best. I don't think this should be surprsing at all, it seems like a normal thing to do when you are selling a product.
When I first saw the video, sometime last year in the fall I think... The one thing I thought of was "What would happen if they changed the spacing on those blocks ever so slightly?"
It's likely a specific frequency that favours the Ford, and if it were changed by a few centimeters, maybe the Chevy would look better, or the Dodge? Who knows...
But, every year one of the Big 3 seem to re-engineer their truck line, and things have been generally getting better, well, except for the price of course. :Wow1:
10 years ago, what was the average towing capacity of a 1/2 ton?
Today, it's hovering right around 10,000 pounds. ;)

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
They didn't build that course just for that test. That is the Silver Creek test track. It's been around a while, and they've actually been shooting those videos for a few years. Ford (as do all OEM's) is constantly reverse engineering everybody else's offerings. Notice that the spacing of the bumps changes, speed is held constant. Therefore the tests sweeps a range of frequencies, not just one.

The Ford, in this case, is just flat out better.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Observer
That's the one... Just another Sahmeful attemt by Ford to make their trucks look like the toughest. From waht I remember didn't they un-bolt the bed of the Tundra and do a few other odd-ball things to skew the results??? Sorry, but the Tundra is built like a Tank and those vids are not a very fair representation of either truck. I find it funny that Ford tries to do these kind of things. Like other truck makers are just completely incompotent and ONLY Ford could possibly build a good truck... So stupid.

Cheers

Dave
-er NO. simply put, no. that is a standard durability course and the trucks were tested in their showroom condition. i think maybe, just maybe some people have drunk a little too much of the Toyota Kool Aid....

that is a real test and a rigorous test that the f150 must pass. "unbolting the bed" sure! and it didn't fall off the c section frame because they must have bungee corded it in right?

oh, i got another one, maybe Ford and GM have developed a satellite based beam that jams the electronic signal on Toyotas' accelerator pedals? (i'm sure this one will be a next claim from the die hard Toyota fans....)

Bella PSD

Explorer
oh, i got another one, maybe Ford and GM have developed a satellite based beam that jams the electronic signal on Toyotas' accelerator pedals? (i'm sure this one will be a next claim from the die hard Toyota fans....)

OK, I needed a good laugh....

i think maybe, just maybe some people have drunk a little too much of the Toyota Kool Aid...

I had a 2000 Taco that was a buy back because the frame rusted in half. I was drinking the Toyota cool aid that day, $14K of it. To bad really, it was a nice truck. But it was crushed after the buy back.

bronconut

Observer
Given that the test wasn't the best but go to any oil field town and look at the trucks that are out in the field everyday and Fords are what you will see 90% of the time.

ignorant

Observer
Given that the test wasn't the best but go to any oil field town and look at the trucks that are out in the field everyday and Fords are what you will see 90% of the time.

I'm going to preface what I'm going to say with.. I owned a ranger for a while and it was tougher than snot. I'd get another in a heartbeat. But, you need to understand that any vehicle purchased by a company is purchased because it is the cheapest(that can do the job, OK) and not necessarily the best.

El Guapo

Observer
I'm going to preface what I'm going to say with.. I owned a ranger for a while and it was tougher than snot. I'd get another in a heartbeat. But, you need to understand that any vehicle purchased by a company is purchased because it is the cheapest(that can do the job, OK) and not necessarily the best.

i'd differ from your opinion in that you must define what is "the best" first.

To me (and i believe also for most or all companies maintaining fleets of work vehicles) the best = lowest priced highest performance package (or in other words, best value for the money invested). This translates to what i assume we would all want on a personal vehicle as well eh?

So if someone insists that toyota trucks are better; then they are biased in only wanting a portion of what's best. be it cost or performance OR, in my opinion; simply the brand name. To me, as you may deduct from my posts; toyota vehicles (including the high end ones) simply do not do it. i don't like their styling, their layout; their ergonomics, etc. i do however, acknowledge that they DID have higher quality (KEYWORD: DID) than most other american brands. But as time has shown this is NOT the case anymore. They are plagued with quality issues and this to me is just natural for the industry in which they are a part of. In the past they did not have a full selection of products like GM or Ford do. As they became the largest vehicle manufacturer in the world, well guess what - they are facing larger problems. This is simply put and comes as no surprise.

bronconut

Observer

Might be the case for general fleet type trucks but I'm guessing you've never seen trucks out in the oil field? Oil field trucks are a different breed and they are not picked because they are the cheapest the company's pick the best for the job at hand and right now those tend to be made by Ford. Next week I'll take some pictures of your typical oil field truck and post them up.

ignorant

Observer
Might be the case for general fleet type trucks but I'm guessing you've never seen trucks out in the oil field? Oil field trucks are a different breed and they are not picked because they are the cheapest the company's pick the best for the job at hand and right now those tend to be made by Ford. Next week I'll take some pictures of your typical oil field truck and post them up.

after having worked in a few corporate purchasing groups, I'm going to tell you they're picked because they're cheap.

The purchasing groups are rated by how much money they spent and usually the cost to repair the vehicles don't hit their metrics.

I'm not trying to argue with you, just provide a different perspective. I don't think any toyota available in the country would do the job. I don't doubt the fords are stout. I'm looking for a superduty myself.

btw.. there was this company converting old dodge M37's with 4bt's for oilfield service.

Last edited:

ignorant

Observer
i'd differ from your opinion in that you must define what is "the best" first.

To me (and i believe also for most or all companies maintaining fleets of work vehicles) the best = lowest priced highest performance package (or in other words, best value for the money invested). This translates to what i assume we would all want on a personal vehicle as well eh?

So if someone insists that toyota trucks are better; then they are biased in only wanting a portion of what's best. be it cost or performance OR, in my opinion; simply the brand name. To me, as you may deduct from my posts; toyota vehicles (including the high end ones) simply do not do it. i don't like their styling, their layout; their ergonomics, etc. i do however, acknowledge that they DID have higher quality (KEYWORD: DID) than most other american brands. But as time has shown this is NOT the case anymore. They are plagued with quality issues and this to me is just natural for the industry in which they are a part of. In the past they did not have a full selection of products like GM or Ford do. As they became the largest vehicle manufacturer in the world, well guess what - they are facing larger problems. This is simply put and comes as no surprise.

how did you read that I was saying toyota trucks were best? I just have some experience in corporate purchasing, and purchasing dosen't always make the best choices.

However, you immediately jumped to conclusions and jumped down my throat so, thanks for that. I'll make sure I highly regard your opinion in the future.

bronconut

Observer
after having worked in a few corporate purchasing groups, I'm going to tell you they're picked because they're cheap.

The purchasing groups are rated by how much money they spent and usually the cost to repair the vehicles don't hit their metrics.

I'm not trying to argue with you, just provide a different perspective. I don't think any toyota available in the country would do the job. I don't doubt the fords are stout. I'm looking for a superduty myself.

btw.. there was this company converting old dodge M37's with 4bt's for oilfield service.

I always thought Unimogs would work well but the oil field guys like to drive fast although a lot are being tracked now via GPS units. We put a lot of slightly larger tires on like 255/80/17 the drivers never really cared about the speedo being off but now that they are being watched they want the sppedo's dead on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1