Ford Vrs Toyota course

El Guapo

Observer
how did you read that I was saying toyota trucks were best? I just have some experience in corporate purchasing, and purchasing dosen't always make the best choices.

However, you immediately jumped to conclusions and jumped down my throat so, thanks for that. I'll make sure I highly regard your opinion in the future.

well sorry if my reply ruffled your feathers. if you read it carefully you'll note i was generalizing precisely to not pin it on YOU. my response is aimed at the general public that refuses to see the issues that this company is currently having. If you consider yourself to be part of that general public well then there's not much i can do.....

and if that wasn't clear i'll state it again . my reply is generalized and not aimed at you singularly. AND it is still my opinion. you don't have to like it and i am not changing it.

bjowett

Adventurer
Stiffness dosn't necessarily equal strenth. What Toyota has done with recent frames is move to a reinforced C chanel. It's a cheap way to make a strong frame. Most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks use them for the same reason. Personally, I would rather have a boxed frame... so that's what I did to my truck.

Now, the Tundra's drivetrain is overbuilt, plain and simple. There isn't another 1/2 ton that approaches it. We can talk more about this if you would like.

Ford's quality has been improving, and this is good... and while they currently match Toyota in initial quality, I still don't agree that they have the long term durabilty of a Toyota.

ignorant

Observer
well sorry if my reply ruffled your feathers. if you read it carefully you'll note i was generalizing precisely to not pin it on YOU. my response is aimed at the general public that refuses to see the issues that this company is currently having. If you consider yourself to be part of that general public well then there's not much i can do.....

and if that wasn't clear i'll state it again . my reply is generalized and not aimed at you singularly. AND it is still my opinion. you don't have to like it and i am not changing it.

Yeah, sorry my response was a bit harsh as well. No hard feelings. You get kinda snappy when you got a 1 year old who likes to get up at 4am everyday.

beast1210

Adventurer
I'm sure they all handle better than my 77' scout, not much high tech anything on her, but i have a feeling my scout will still be on the road a time.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I love how this thread evolved.. thanks. I would put my Power Wagon up against ANY of these trucks in a rough and tumble, till the wheels fall off, pure off road/ work truck test. Ford, Toyota, even standard Dodge trucks couldn't compete.. that is a promise. Nobody wants to take on a challenge like that. I am not being brand specific here.. I've owned just about every brand around. I work in the woods almost everyday and can say this 100%.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Stiffness dosn't necessarily equal strenth. What Toyota has done with recent frames is move to a reinforced C chanel. It's a cheap way to make a strong frame. Most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks use them for the same reason. Personally, I would rather have a boxed frame... so that's what I did to my truck..

No, it's just cheap. A C-frame can't have the same strength/weight as a box section because of the way the flanges buckle when under a bending load. Boxes and I beams can't do that.

You can make a C-frame strong, it just takes a lot more metal, which isn't a big deal for larger trucks.

nickw

Adventurer
Bet

I love how this thread evolved.. thanks. I would put my Power Wagon up against ANY of these trucks in a rough and tumble, till the wheels fall off, pure off road/ work truck test. Ford, Toyota, even standard Dodge trucks couldn't compete.. that is a promise. Nobody wants to take on a challenge like that. I am not being brand specific here.. I've owned just about every brand around. I work in the woods almost everyday and can say this 100%.

Any of 'these' trucks, I think there was mention of a M37 and Unimog, so I would take that bet. Your confidence is astounding, considering your rig is only 4 years old...

Whats the big deal about frames anyways, how often do they break? Sure there is the odd rear end of a Tacoma, but that is really only an issue when hanging heavy bumpers/tires/cans off the back.

IMO, durability/reliability is more associated with the complicated systems of a vehicle, e.g. drivetrain.

El Guapo

Observer
Now, the Tundra's drivetrain is overbuilt, plain and simple. There isn't another 1/2 ton that approaches it. We can talk more about this if you would like.

Ford's quality has been improving, and this is good... and while they currently match Toyota in initial quality, I still don't agree that they have the long term durabilty of a Toyota.

i would LOVE to hear the analysis of this statement- please...please start with the durability one of the F series all the way back to its origins in comparison to the Tundra's.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Well, it would have been a much cooler response above if I could have got the entire picture in there... LOL

Last edited:

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I can't figure out how to make the picture fit.. Anybody know of a good picture program that makes it easy to change the size?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1