Frustrated Dealers May Succeed in Getting Corp to Reduce Ram Truck and Jeep Prices

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
They don't make the previous gen Tundra either or F-150 etc. Only the model name carries over not always the parts.
It is a bit different when you totally discontinue a model, you have to wonder if investment in repair parts will continue past a few years, especially on a vehicle that had low annual sales. Not saying it’s a bad truck, I think they are a great truck.

Zeep

Adventurer
I seem to remember that the government requires maker's to supply parts for 10 years.
Can't remember where I read that!

llamalander

Nissan will keep using lots of the same parts for the frontier, and frontier owners will keep using titan parts for a killer factory long-travel suspension... and Nissan trucks don't break very often or early, so probably not much of an issue for quite a while-

chet6.7

Explorer
I seem to remember that the government requires maker's to supply parts for 10 years.
Can't remember where I read that!
I was curious, so I looked.

''Ask a Hemmings Editor: How long do carmakers have to provide replacement parts for older cars?''

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
They don't make the previous gen Tundra either or F-150 etc. Only the model name carries over not always the parts.

I see a new grille on the F150 every couple of years. Back in the day, the grill and entire front end stayed the same for 5+ years with interchangeable parts. Nowadays, each model year has a a whole slew of new changes that require redesign, retesting, and retooling. It IS more expensive to manufacture because of many reasons and one is that a prime has to reinvent parts to maintain their position. Costs aren't competing. Technology and new gizmos are. Consumers want the latest and greatest and have to pay for it. Every year has new standard features that were once optional.

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I see a new grille on the F150 every couple of years. Back in the day, the grill and entire front end stayed the same for 5+ years with interchangeable parts. Nowadays, each model year has a a whole slew of new changes that require redesign, retesting, and retooling. It IS more expensive to manufacture because of many reasons and one is that a prime has to reinvent parts to maintain their position. Costs are competing. Technology and new gizmos are. Consumers want the latest and greatest and have to pay for it. Every year has new standard features that were once optional.
Exactly. Even the frames change regularly.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
My last years of working as an engineer I was involved in cross disciplined new product design meetings. Sales and marketing would always insist on a new look, claiming that our base market would buy our product if it looked the same but we get a sales boost from those buyers that will buy because it is identifiable as new and different. The difference in sales is more than the cost of changeover.

Us ancient geezers remember when you weren't considered a true motorhead unless you could identify the make, model, and year of cars from the 40's, 50's, and 60's by just their grill.

montechie

And since this is in the Jeep section, looks like some deals on Jeeps as well.

Looks like there isn't much interest in a 130K Rubicon 392...10K off on that one.

View attachment 836596
View attachment 836597
View attachment 836598

Those prices are insane.

We bought a loaded Gladiator Rubicon in '22 at MSRP, which I'm still a little embarrassed about, but we had some specific features we wanted. However, it was $61K USD. With the 15% Stellantis discount at the beginning of this year, we would've paid the same we did in early '22. Some dealers are offering additional markdowns at least around here (Montana) to bring Rubicons into the 50K range.

We're really seeing the used truck market drop again around here as used lots fill up. Pre-pandemic it was easy to find low mileage used trucks drop 15-20K in the first year for higher packages (Lariats). It's not quite that good again, but it's getting there if you don't need anything super specific.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Those prices are insane.

We bought a loaded Gladiator Rubicon in '22 at MSRP, which I'm still a little embarrassed about, but we had some specific features we wanted. However, it was $61K USD. With the 15% Stellantis discount at the beginning of this year, we would've paid the same we did in early '22. Some dealers are offering additional markdowns at least around here (Montana) to bring Rubicons into the 50K range.

We're really seeing the used truck market drop again around here as used lots fill up. Pre-pandemic it was easy to find low mileage used trucks drop 15-20K in the first year for higher packages (Lariats). It's not quite that good again, but it's getting there if you don't need anything super specific.
Not sure if you are aware but those prices are in CDN pesos as I'm in Alberta.

Looks like the deals got a little better... Guess people still aren't biting...

1.jpg
2.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 111724.png

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
We bought a new Jeep, last years model. We were really on the fence about it because even with all the "economic indicators" that say the economy is great interest rates suck, inflation is awful and we're in a little more debt then we'd like to be. That being said I'm pretty secure in my Job being the number one guy on the roster out of 13 (it was 60 five years ago). They'd have to close us down completely to take me out and I have enough knowledge that I have an open job offer I can take at any time. I also got a pretty good contract this last go around, even though inflation has basically made it nil or less, but I'm in a fairly stable spot in life right now and she wanted a truck. So, anyway, I bought one. Not for me, but for my wife. They just kept jigging that 15% off msrp and there was one she liked a little ways away and the diesel was going away so we traded in her low miles JKUR. The truck she got had been on the lot for a year and I swear they were giddy to see it go. It had a 66k sticker price and we paid 50. I also didn't haggle on my trade in. I gave them the take it or leave it and they took it. It took a few phone calls to get it through their heads with the typical dealer game but once they understood me it was a done deal. We walked in, signed the papers and left. I would not have paid 66 for it, and I definitely wouldn't have paid more than that and most we looked at were 10k more. Overall I really like the truck. There are things I don't like about the new model, but things I do. Funny how a new car now isn't all joy and bliss due to government regulation! I disabled the auto start the moment we got home. Overall I don't think this is a good time to be in sales. Once people max their credit out they won't be able to give them away.

Attachments

• IMG_3476.JPG
    IMG_3476.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3477.JPG
    IMG_3477.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 9

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Sticker of my 2014 WK2 Overland in 2013 was $48,985.

Sticker on new 2024 Limited was $60,230 without Air Suspension System but most everything else. Same engine.
I just found our original window sticker to our 2004 JGC we still have, it was 2wd but had the 4.0 high output engine, cost was $30k In 2004. My how prices have risen, price doubled in 20 years.

At time I could not afford both the H.O. and 4wd so got the HO as most driving was highway, currently has about 250k miles. Has new engine and tranny.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I just found our original window sticker to our 2004 JGC we still have, it was 2wd but had the 4.0 high output engine, cost was $30k In 2004. My how prices have risen, price doubled in 20 years.

Inflation alone brings $30,000 in 2004 dollars to $49,878 in May 2024 dollars.

So inflation plays a HUGE part in this.

See how fast it's gone up lately :

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk