FS: #Doug - Rickashay's 04' Tundra BUILT

rickashay

Explorer
**SOLD**

Time to drop the bomb. To say this has been a difficult decision for my wife and I would be a lie. I've known it was coming for about 3 weeks now and have literally been postponing this moment. I've built a handful of rigs now and I can confidently say that "#Doug" has hands down been the most reliable, most enjoyable, and most comfortable rig to date. Truly sucks to see it go... and it would not be going if we could make it work. Life choices (kids... ahem) are on the horizon as well as a potential move back to BC. Dropping to 2 vehicles that have room for kids and dogs is taking priority. Unfortunately, an extended cab Tundra just doesn't fit the bill and would see more time sitting in the driveway than out on the trails where it belongs. Time to rip the band-aid off :(

In it's true environment:

IMG_7392.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Video:

Colossal:
https://vimeo.com/169275734

TREAD:
https://vimeo.com/169887929

ARB Compressor:
https://vimeo.com/190393126

Truck Specs:

- 04' Tundra V8 Limited 4x4
- I am the 3rd owner, 2nd owner only owning the truck for a just over a year. I purchased it with 175,000kms on the clock. Now it has 261,000kms
- Timing belt and water pump done at 160K
- No accidents
- Dealer serviced by the original owner with service records to prove. I can account for EVERY single oil change since it was new. (See the screenshots of my detailed maintenance log since I have owned it)
- Leather interior in excellent condition with dealer installed heated leather seats (not a factory option)
- A/C, power windows, power locks, heated mirrors, power mirrors
- New windshield a couple months ago
- Original owners manual included

MODS:

Suspension:

- Fox 2.5" Front Ext. Travel Coilovers w/remote reservoirs & CDC adjusters: adjust valving on the fly!
- Daystar front low-profile bumpstops
- Total Chaos uniball upper control arms: no play and zero squeaks, bushings greased frequently
- Total Chaos spindle gussets
- Timbren bumpstops & zinc plated U-Bolt flip kit (rear)
- Fox IFP 10" stroked rear shocks
- Archive Garage Shackle Flip kit (allows for full use of 10" rear shock, obtaining maximum rear droop travel)
- Archive Garage 6" shackle w/greasable bushings
- OEM leafs with Wheelers 3-Leaf progressive AAL

Performance:

- OEM TRD Long Tube headers w/new OEM metal gaskets: These things are unicorns, Toyota only made them for a couple year and I scored these from a guy in Arizona who bought them new in 04' but never installed them. They sat in his garage until I purchased them. They retailed for $1500 from my research and they are the only true TRD set I've ever seen.
- Dirty Deeds stainless center section and Y-Pipe
- New California spec Magnaflow Hi-Flow cats (one per side)
- Borla stainless catback exhaust that was trimmed under the bed. Still retains fancy Borla tip: exhaust does not drone... sounds amazing!
- Powerslot slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads
- Crown extended strainless steel brake lines

Wheels/Tires & Drivetrain:

- Nitro 4.56 gears
- ARB front & rear Air Lockers (awesome!)
- Yukon install kits used when setup
- 315/75/16 Toyo MT's (approx 75% tread remaining)
- Matte Dark Bronze SCS F5 wheels 16x8 (3.5" BS)

Armor & Custom Work:

- Custom fabrication rear bed cage (I designed the general shape) by Cruisin' Offroad
- Rear removable "hoop" on bedcage
- 4ft. ARB awning (newest style with improved design) attached to rear hoop (slides out for coverage over tailgate area)
- Tonneau Retrax (lockable) slide bedcover installed underneath bedcage
- I have added rubber sealing to the tailgate area so that everything in the bed is sealed off from most dust/moisture
- Custom Cruisin' Offroad DOM sliders: nicest sliders I've ever seen, full gussets and bracing for entire length of frame. I believe these actually improve the rigidity of the whole frame on this truck.
- Custom rear diff skid
- Custom rear high-clearance bumper that utilizes all factory mounting points and is completely reinforced for towing or recoveries
- Cab has been tubbed to accommodate large tires with only 1.5" of lift. Fully seem sealed and coated
- CV angles are nearly at factory angle so the whole front end has way less problems with the front locker and large tires while retaining drivability
- Front wheel well has been opened up to clearance large tires and allow full uptravel of the extended travel C/O's: I have measured 10.5" of front travel which is only 1" short of what the 2nd Gen Tacomas, FJ's, and 4th Gen 4Runners achieve with the full +2" long travel systems

Interior:

- Alpine Type R speakers with components in front doors
- Alpine BT headunit w/iPod, Sirius connectivity
- 3M carbon vinyl wrap on door trim
- LED interior swap (all bulbs including gauges and door bulbs)
- 1000W Motomaster Power Inverter with 2x household plugs and USB (also has battery monitor voltage gauge)
- Custom rear interior storage: IKEA butcherblock countertops, Cedar "mantle" w/stainless channel to hold items while they charge on inverter, pivots open to access underside storage, has additional storage compartment along the floor, internal Blue Sea rear fuse block, 2x electric fans for air movement when inverter is running, 2x Blue Sea USB charging ports, Battalion latch for storage door
- Above storage platform is mounted using several of the seatbelt mounting points so it is 100% secure and able to hold various loads; mounted to 1/4" thick mounting base (over 60+ hours in this project!)
- Cargo deck is completely removable and will come with immaculate rear leather seats
- WeatherTech Digital floor mats

Lighting & Other Misc:

- Morimoto FX-R headlight projector retrofit using OEM Kioto housings (never had any kind of condensation or problems). I have done DOZENS of projector retrofits and I can assure you that it was done with utmost quality and longevity in mind
- 35w Morimoto ballasts
- Philips 85122+ 4300K bulbs
- ARB twin compressor and air manifold on a custom mount under the hood - runs the locks and airs up the 35's VERY quickly
- Blue Sea fuse block and 100A breaker on custom bracket in engine compartment
- ARB diff breather routed to engine bay on a custom bracket at firewall
- Rally Armour rear mudflaps (these are AWESOME, so bendy...)
- Morimoto LED corner markers and turn signal bulbs (these look amazing!) Relay has been replaced with LED equivalent so no hyper-flash
- Custom light bar
- NEW Lightforce Blitz 240's with clear and yellow filters
- Axe and shovel mounts using quickfists inside of bed
- Rear end removed from truck last year (entire axle) to re-finish and help avoid any future rust problems (wasn't rusty to begin with... but I'm OCD lol)
- ARB Simpson III Rooftop tent is included in the sale price, however I will consider a price reduction if the tent is not needed as I can use it on my next build

Maintenance:

- too large to type, please see screenshots in photos
- Full folder of receipts for maintenance and mods
- Comes with new OEM front wheel bearings (pair), OEM tie rod end, OEM CV spare axle, other misc. items

I encourage you to view some of my other builds as well. I am very particular about the products used on my truck and all the work done on it. I am extremely OCD and no shortcuts were taken with this build as I truly planned on keeping this rig until the grave. DO NOT be scared by the mileage, as this truck runs like it was new and easily cruises down the highway at 120-130m/hour. With the provided service history I am confident this truck will continue over 500,000kms without a hiccup. It doesn't leak a drop of anything and there are no "weeps" to be seen. There is absolutely ZERO rust on this rig and even the undercarriage is extremely clean. Everything on the truck works as it should.

This rig was built with purpose in mind. I wanted something comfortable that would cruise down the highway at speed for long distances, handle gravel roads and overland journeys, make an excellent basecamp, and also tackle some fairly technical trails. It easily accomplishes those objectives. Still needs a front bumper (factory plastic one is arguably the "roughest" part of the entire truck) so ad your own and make it unique! (or ask me for the design I have drawn and ready to build) Throw a set of skids on it and head for the Rubicon or Patagonia. This truck will do both.

ASKING $22,500 CAD or $17,250 US at a substantial loss.

Please PM me to get my phone number to discuss in detail. I am an active member of the 4x4 community and have several personal references if needed for the sale over long distance. I will be happy to take any extra photos and answer any and all questions. I am also happy to aid in all parts for an American transaction. I would truly LOVE to see this rig go to someone who appreciates the build and attention to detail, but will also put the truck to use and continue to care for it in the years to come. Price negotiable.

**Full Photo Album HERE:** https://www.flickr.com/photos/retrospectphoto/albums/72157674830097961/with/30549824700/

IMG_8218.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_8196.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_8190.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Last edited:

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Me this morning: :coffee: :Wow1: :yikes:

But in all seriousness I feel you regarding the space factor. My wife and I are able to travel with our 2 yr old in the T100 but it's squishy. We are both 5'6" which helps immensely, but an adventure rig with 4 full doors is on the horizon for us soon as well.
If I wasn't already in the same boat I would be driving to rescue Doug!! GLWS!

City_Rider

Adventurer
I've come here to poke fun at you on this forum too!

Good luck with the sale - can't wait to see that new Camry!!

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
GLWS

I know exactly how you feel, with a second kid on the way we purchased a new Honda Odyssey...and now we've got three vehicles between the two of us. The 3rd Gen may go on the block just to make room. Wish you the best man and good luck on the sale.

rickashay

Explorer
Me this morning: :coffee: :Wow1: :yikes:

But in all seriousness I feel you regarding the space factor. My wife and I are able to travel with our 2 yr old in the T100 but it's squishy. We are both 5'6" which helps immensely, but an adventure rig with 4 full doors is on the horizon for us soon as well.
If I wasn't already in the same boat I would be driving to rescue Doug!! GLWS!

I've come here to poke fun at you on this forum too!

Good luck with the sale - can't wait to see that new Camry!!

Thanks guys... it sucks but it's what needs to happen right now. If oil was a little higher maybe I could afford to keep it and build another lol.

That is a very nice setup. Are you going to stick with Toyota when you fill the void?

Of course! Bought a 4th Gen 4Runner with the V8 last weekend. I'll post my new build thread up here on Expo as well.

I know exactly how you feel, with a second kid on the way we purchased a new Honda Odyssey...and now we've got three vehicles between the two of us. The 3rd Gen may go on the block just to make room. Wish you the best man and good luck on the sale.

Appreciate it! Hey doesn't Bisimoto make a Twin Turbo kit for the Odyssey that makes like 1400hp?! haha

love this truck:bowdown:

Cheers!

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Damn...Sorry to see it go. But looks like you replaced it already and it'll be a great build as well.

Wish i could snag it. Would love a 1st gen tundra to add to my fleet. But..don't have the money. Find him a good home!

rickashay

Explorer
Truck is SOLD.

I've owned over 30 cars in my young (ish) age and I know both the good and the bad transactions when buying and selling cars. I am pleased that the new buyer was exceptional and truly a great guy. I'm very happy to see Doug go to a good home in Loveland Colorado where I'm sure he will be appreciated by Dave and his wife. Hopefully he chimes in here and finishes off what I started!

mouse007

Explorer
Truck is SOLD.

I've owned over 30 cars in my young (ish) age and I know both the good and the bad transactions when buying and selling cars. I am pleased that the new buyer was exceptional and truly a great guy. I'm very happy to see Doug go to a good home in Loveland Colorado where I'm sure he will be appreciated by Dave and his wife. Hopefully he chimes in here and finishes off what I started!

AWESOME...!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1