Full timing in a slide-in camper ... insanity?

UpperLeft86

We're toying with the idea of renting our house out and hitting the road for a year, while the kids are young enough to not miss being in school (they're 3 and 6.) As we're thinking through priorities and options, a big part of me wants to keep a more minimal and agile footprint (not to mention cheaper) and go with a slide-in camper (OEV-X, Northstar, FWC, etc) or even more minimal and something like a built-out AT Overland Habitat or Alu-Cab Khaya. Part of my thinking is not only does that free up a lot of budget to hit a hotel or AirBNB whenever, but the though of dragging a trailer around, while also being confined to campgrounds and RV parks is not super enticing. Although the "base camp" aspect of a trailer could be nice.

Anyone who has done longer travels with little kids, am I out of my mind for even considering this?

MOAK

Adventurer
No, you’re not out of your mind. To even consider such a thing, tells me you are more grounded than the average person. Check out A2A Expeditions for a bit of inspiration. The Bells traveled with their children for about a decade.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I'll forgo the psychological assessment. You might be asking the blind to lead the blind. If you're sane, I'd give you 3 months before you end up renting a home base.

A 3 year old will be rough, a 6 year old even harder, IMO. I suggest you rent a camper and see what conditions will be like, then you'll find a travel trailer better suited for your dream.

Remember. it's your dream not your kid's dream.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I've been using a slide-in camper for many years. Mine is a 9.5 Bigfoot on a dually, extending a foot or so past the 8' bed of the truck. The actual "floor space" of my camper is approximately 2' wide by less than 8' long. If you are considering a small camper for your F150 then your floor space will be even smaller. And you're talking 4 people sharing that floor space.

In other words, most times 3 of the people will have to be seated on the bench or up in the bed. Or outside so they are out of the way. If Mama is cooking dinner she's going to need that entire floor space.

When the weather is nice to where people can be outside other than when sleeping this arrangement might work for you. A week of bad weather and the kids will be antsy and you'll be getting on each other's nerves.

You’re not insane, have fun. Consider towing a vehicle behind the TC for seeing the sights, and hauling overflow gear when on the road. Rather than flat towing, I prefer something like a Kar Kady that has a steerable axle. It makes cornering much smoother. My only experience flat towing seemed to have a slow to respond feeling, making it feel jerky.

edit: I’m not a fan of any camper, trailer, or motorhome with a slide out. Regardless of the extra room, I’ve seen too many slide failures.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
You’ll never know until you try it. But maybe rent out your home on a month to month or short term lease as a backup. You can ease into full timing by camping 3-4 nights, mixed with 1 night hotel stays.

To start with, keep your travel days short so the kiddos can ease into the challenge of long days sitting in the truck. This also is less stress on the adults who are primarily responsible for setting up and breaking down camp. Plan plenty of stops (interesting museums and other such fun but educational activities) and set up some ways to entertain the youngsters (road games) and create a variety of simple rewards for their good behavior.

When we were younger, my SO and I twice lived for many months at a time (up to 4 months uninterrupted) in a 10’ pop up slide in. We went with the longer model to have a dedicated potti room and extra cabinetry.

We went with the pop up for better gas mileage and easier parking issues (these models often are/were narrower than hard sized ones).

And we seamlessly traveled all over the US and parts of Canada, creating wonderful memories that we still enjoy reflecting upon.

We also spent @ 5 summers traveling in and living full time in a bare bones hard sided 8’ cabover (it only had an icebox, a stove, a sink but no water tank! Porta potti and two small interior lights) when exploring the PNW, Northern Rockies, Western Canada, the Yukon and Alaska. That really was roughing it but it was all we could afford…and we loved every minute of it.

Your health and finances will always be a gamble so I’d say…Do it while you can. Do it while the kids are young.

Here’s a great source of news, help and inspiration for you:

I do think the small choices you mentioned would not be enjoyable. With a full size camper, the kids can happily sit out of the way at your side dinette doing whatever they do to entertain themselves, while the adults are up fixing meals, etc. Even in a full sized rig, you’ll all have to learn to do “synchronized swimming” while inside the camper together and having more room to do that definitely results in less frustration for you all.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
Am I out of my mind for even considering this?
Your first priority is your wife. Does she really like camping? If so that's great, but taking care of kids while camping is an extra challenge... for both of you... and them.

However, if the kids have been well raised then they are like little "critters"... and will likely love camping in the boonies. It will be a great experience for them!

Do you have a truck? If not, then look at 1 tons (at least) and don't skimp on camper size. If you can travel to places where the weather is fine, that will help.

wirenut

Adventurer
We had an 11' side entry truck camper, no slide. When it was just me, my wufe, and a dog it was fine for week long trips. We added 1 kid and then a second. We made it work for a two week trip and lots of smaller ones. Then we had a 3rd child. After 2 nights in the truck camper with all 5 of us we decided to sell it. We now have a 34' travel trailer. We're leaving VA for MT at the end of the month.

MontySquareo

I'll forgo the psychological assessment. You might be asking the blind to lead the blind. If you're sane, I'd give you 3 months before you end up renting a home base.

A 3 year old will be rough, a 6 year old even harder, IMO. I suggest you rent a camper and see what conditions will be like, then you'll find a travel trailer better suited for your dream.

Remember. it's your dream not your kid's dream.
Little kids usually don't mind playing in the dirt all day, or not having to take baths. When I was a little kid my family would go "offroading" (drive somewhere, camp in tents, drive some more the next day, mostly graded/smooth dirt roads) and the only time I remember not having fun was when I got sick or when we spent the whole day in the car and didn't get to play in a river or the forest.

O.P. you might consider trying to teach your kids to read and do basic addition. It is quite a bit of work though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal