Fullsize Ford F250 Overlanding Camper project

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
looks good ,i am going to stay tuned for ideas from you ..lol..i have a 2000 f250 ,but now messing with my fj ..the truck will be soon for long travel ,im puting stuff on the fj i can use in the the truck also ,cb/co2 air etc ..love that arb bumper didnt know they made them for big old trucks ..lol..do you have more pics of the bumper ?ps.looks great and good job on the air system..

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Subscribed. I have an 06 F250 PSD. still a little to clean and purdy to start tarring it apart. I just passed the 60,000 mile mark. Eventually I would really like to dig in and turn it into something more suited for overland travel.

bat

Explorer
I am not to sure on the mounting of the compressor, I would think after a couple of good 4x4 roads it would cause problems. This is my old truck I hated to let it go but with just me and the dog now it was just to much truck.
trip 00000 (Large) (Medium).JPG

Air System is up and running, just finishing up on the debris shield for the compressor then she's 100%.

"AUX 1" Factory upfitter toggle on/off for the air system.
5451699558_e5a15c3ba1.jpg

80amp circuit breaker mounted to the battery cover
5451088381_94fc911e8c.jpg

100amp relay mounted to the inside frame just behind the air tank
5451090037_1dbb307445.jpg

Vinyl caps found around the house make the perfect dust covers for air couplings
5451088977_3828321f0f.jpg

Front view with coupling dust cover
5451090381_9454976d58.jpg

jagular7

Adventurer
If you loose those covers, look for 1" chair rail boots. They work just as well. Easily found at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart.

100_3319.jpg

I would have mounted the compressor inside the frame for better protection of road debris coming off the front tires. The air tank can take the hit from the small debri. But you can also toss a metal shield to cover the front and lower portions just as well.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
@ Batt - thats pretty sexy there. Kinda what I would like to do to mine

@Social Casualty - hey i have been wondering about the aux switches, where and how do you hook to them?

Upfitter Switches

You can find the wires behind the drivers side dash fuse panel

first:
remove the plastic panel then remove the 4 10mm bolts to lower the fuse panel.

second:
look behind the fuse panel and locate the cluster of 4 wires with blunt caps two wires will be 10amp the other two are 30amp.

Maybe this can help:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/TRUCKBBAS/non-html/Q117.pdf

Cheers!

@Social Casualty - hey i have been wondering about the aux switches, where and how do you hook to them?

Anderson Quick Connect plug install

Well I finally got around to ordering the Anderson plug sets last week. I was going to wait until I purchased the winch but I just couldn't wait to play around on the truck. I ordered Two 1 gauge plug sets, one installed on the truck itself and one on the future winch's wiring then a second set of 6 gauge plugs that I installed on a pair of quality jumper cables. The idea is that the winch will be connected via the Anderson quick connect plug at all times but if ever a jumper cable is needed to help out in recovery or stranded motorist the winch can be quickly disconnected and the jumper cables can plug in without opening the bonnet.

Parts Used:
Anderson quick connect plugs, 1 Gauge
Anderson quick connect plugs, 6 Gauge
Anderson plug dust cap
1 Gauge Welding cable/wire 7 feet
1 gauge Copper Lug connectors
Shrink Tubing
Zip Ties

Anderson QD mounted to the bumper bracket
5544931478_36ea082220.jpg

Close up view, mounted on passenger side
5544929714_784e880254.jpg

Note: 1 Gauge welding cable
5544355477_e51d9238d0.jpg

helcaraxe

i LOVE your build. I am very partial to this generation of Ford super duty trucks. Reminds me of my '05 F250... Best truck I -EVER- owned, hands down. It was my daily driver. I sold it last year for a more fuel efficient vehicle (which I never should have done. I do still own a '77 F150 and just bought a '93 lifted 'Burban to fill the void). Oh, memories...

2ew1uly.jpg

2u7w00z.jpg

Great looking lady, sorry to hear you let her go but I completely understand. I've contemplated letting mine go a couple times as well and picking up something a little smaller like a older Tacoma or Jeep but if I was to let her go I would have to take a crazy loss as that these big fuel sucking trucks just don't sell like they used to when fuel was cheep.

i LOVE your build. I am very partial to this generation of Ford super duty trucks. Reminds me of my '05 F250... Best truck I -EVER- owned, hands down. It was my daily driver. I sold it last year for a more fuel efficient vehicle (which I never should have done. I do still own a '77 F150 and just bought a '93 lifted 'Burban to fill the void). Oh, memories...

projects coming soon:

Topper is almost back from the paint shop, scored on a used MX ARE topper with the one piece rear door for 300 but the paint was a 1 out of 10 so a new coat of was a must. We went with Satin Black on the exterior with a Line-X type coating interior. The side windows were removed do to light water leakage and will be remounted with windshield Urethane for a good leak free seal once its back. I was also contemplating on installing a carpet kit to the Toppers interior but I'll wait to see how it comes out for now.

1. Fresh Water tank including fill neck, pluming, water heater, pump and shower connection

2. Bed Drawer System including 2 pull outs and 1 top loader

3. Roof/Topper rack

Topper is back, windows installed and back on the truck :)
5742187504_f36fbe4890_z.jpg

5741632657_def5cf4120_z.jpg

Last edited:
Back when I installed the Canback topper I removed the OEM plastic rail caps and for some reason lost them. So now that I need them with the Fiberglass topper and the OE caps are 107.00 each I decided to go with the deezee painted Aluminum caps for 93.00 a pair shipped. I think they turned out well.

5760974630_5651d4ca8e_z.jpg

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Looking good.

On my old 4runner I had a viar compressor mounted in the stock spare tire location and I had some of the same concerns and one of my solutions, besides a skid plate for it was to remote the intake filter up under the hood. I know it was a long run, but I upsized the hose and that seemed to help. Just a thought for yours, especially since your compressor is much closer to the engine/front of the truck.

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online