Funky Smell from Vents = Leaking Heater Core?

TheMole

Adventurer
Just recently noticed this weird smell coming from the vents when I turn the fan on. It's not the typical musty smell from the ac nor does it smell like coolant. The closest thing I can describe it to would be a fried electronics board or a light burning rubber smell. When I turn the ac on it has a strong smell in the beginning, but goes away after a few seconds. With the heat on it does the same thing except the smell lingers. In direct sunlight, I can see some type of light fumes coming from the vents near the windshield only when I first turn the heat on. I felt around the footwell carpet and did not notice any type of wetness. Is there any way to tell if it's the heater core without ripping the dash out?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You can try to bypass it in the engine bay and see if there is a change, you simply disconnect the hoses at the firewall and connect them together so there is no coolant flow to the core, just be careful not to crush the brass fittings going to the core.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Is it an ammonia/urine-like smell? If so, then your problem is mold growing on the A/C evaporator. This is caused by running the A/C on the coldest settings then shutting the car off, never allowing for the evaporator to warm and dry out. It stays cold and wet and then grows funky. It can be cleaned but just how hard the job is depends on the make and model of car.

TheMole

Adventurer
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

-I'll take a look tomorrow about bypassing the hoses at the firewall.
-The blower motor is still strong as I had the ac running on the 3rd notch the last few days.
-It doesn't seem to have an ammonia/urine smell. I usually turn off the ac function and leave the fan running a few minutes before reaching my destination.

I did replace my auxiliary cooling fan with an aftermarket unit about 3-4 weeks ago, but I didn't smell anything until now.

evol911

Observer
If your heater core is leaking, the smell will be sweet. Almost reminds me of syrup. Also look for little green white granules around your window defroster vent. Maybe steam on the windshield.

My heater core leaks :(

The heater core is pretty easy to get too if you have a day to rip out the dash. Mine has a small hairline crack that weeps coolant every so often.

TheMole

Adventurer
Doesn't seem to smell sweet. I'll take a look around the vents for any granules though thanks. Are you going to replace yours?

TheMole

Adventurer
Just a brief update, pretty sure that my heater core is leaking. I have noticed that the coolant in my reservoir drops from max to low level after about 2 weeks of driving. There doesn't seem to be any coolant leaks anywhere else. Any idea what size coupler I need to bypass the heater hoses at the firewall?

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Not 100% sure about this but I think all you need are the hose clamps, you can just use a piece of hose to close the loop.

TheMole

Adventurer
Finally was able to do the bypass yesterday. It is a pretty tight space to work, but was able to remove the hoses and fit the bypass back there. Didn't see any fumes or notice any smells today so we'll see how it goes. If anybody is curious, the following is a list of parts that I used from O' Reilly Auto.

-Gates hose 19607 (returned and bought for much cheaper on ebay)
-Dorman HELP! Heater Hose Connector 47095 x2
-MasterPro MP5512V 0.5" - 1.25" Hose clamps x2 (2 per package)

Probably cheaper and an easier fit against the firewall if you can find a solid coupler that loops like the Gates hose above. You can also bypass it at the block with just a hose, but there wasn't enough space back there for me to remove the hose clamps. Easier to do if the intake manifold is off, but no thanks.

You can try to bypass it in the engine bay and see if there is a change, you simply disconnect the hoses at the firewall and connect them together so there is no coolant flow to the core, just be careful not to crush the brass fittings going to the core.

I kept this in mind and was careful, but I still dented one of them a bit when I was trying to loosen the hose with some pliers. :oops:
I can probably get some of the dent out, but is this part of the heater core or a separate part?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Finally was able to do the bypass yesterday. It is a pretty tight space to work, but was able to remove the hoses and fit the bypass back there. Didn't see any fumes or notice any smells today so we'll see how it goes. If anybody is curious, the following is a list of parts that I used from O' Reilly Auto.

-Gates hose 19607 (returned and bought for much cheaper on ebay)
-Dorman HELP! Heater Hose Connector 47095 x2
-MasterPro MP5512V 0.5" - 1.25" Hose clamps x2 (2 per package)

Probably cheaper and an easier fit against the firewall if you can find a solid coupler that loops like the Gates hose above. You can also bypass it at the block with just a hose, but there wasn't enough space back there for me to remove the hose clamps. Easier to do if the intake manifold is off, but no thanks.

I kept this in mind and was careful, but I still dented one of them a bit when I was trying to loosen the hose with some pliers. :oops:
I can probably get some of the dent out, but is this part of the heater core or a separate part?

Typically part of the core from what I have experienced on other cars.

freewayross

Adventurer
Tacking this today, got everything out and then dropped the coupler in the engine bay between the firewall and the engine..... it's nowhere to be found FML!!

TheMole

Adventurer
Tacking this today, got everything out and then dropped the coupler in the engine bay between the firewall and the engine..... it's nowhere to be found FML!!

Probably resting on top of something. Have you tried crawling under there to take a look?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1