Gasket material for lid?

cruisertoy

Explorer
I used a cheap 1/4" thick 3/4" wide adhesive tape gasket on my m416 lid. It's pealing off and being pushed out constantly. I used to use 3m VHB tape in a former business and remember having to use an adhesive etcher/promoter to bond to unpainted aluminum. Has anyone had any luck with any other gasket material? The lid has a flat surface on the bottom where the gasket adheres and I'm using the m416 round lip to seal. Any thoughts?

brian90744

American Trekker
best seal for M416

I used a double seal on my alum lid from ebay vendor. see pictures. the vendors name is on the box.

Attachments

• seal top tape 2.jpg
    seal top tape 2.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 23
  • close up of seal.jpg
    close up of seal.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 24
  • combat 1.jpg
    combat 1.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 19

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
You have a few challenges with your M416. The chassis is C channel so it flexes, the body also flexes with the chassis and creates gaps between the body and the lid letting in moisture and dust.

Tape doesn't work well as a lid seal, you are better of using bulb seal. Bulb seal doesn't like being over compressed so you need a way of holding the lid off the body so the seal can work between the two surfaces. If you have non adjustable hinges and the gap between the lid and the box is too small on the hinge side the hinges will have to be re installed.

Double bulb seal works well, but only if it is not over compressed.

cruisertoy

Explorer
Thanks Martyn. I'll look into the Bulb Seal as well. Everything in the world is adjustable if it's the right answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1