Gen 1 Montero Manual Swap

ashgoff

Hey guys, first post here and I apologize if this has been covered before but I haven't found much on the topic. I'm jonesin for a first gen manual Montero. I've found a few in my price range, but they're all automatics. The question at hand; what all is involved with a manual swap on these? I'm pretty familiar with wrenching on vehicles, I'm currently motor swapping a BMW e90 (and hating every second of the install due to the wiring). The 6g72 V6 will accept a ton of transmissions since it was so widely used, at least that's what the internet told me. Will a transmission from a dodge d50 or a dodge raider swap right in? Will the factory automatic driveshafts be the right length for the manuals from the raider or D50 or whatever I rob them from? Has anyone here done it before and can you offer me some advice? Thanks in advance!

The_Jayhawker

Observer
I haven`t done this swap buy I do have a 91 monty. From all I heard, the automatics in these is a stronger unit than the manual. I have owned a few bronco IIs in my past one that did come with the mitsu 5 speed and I did manage to destroy it. That being said, I would still prefer my monty was also a manual but to me, it`s not worth the headache.

ashgoff

I haven`t done this swap buy I do have a 91 monty. From all I heard, the automatics in these is a stronger unit than the manual. I have owned a few bronco IIs in my past one that did come with the mitsu 5 speed and I did manage to destroy it. That being said, I would still prefer my monty was also a manual but to me, it`s not worth the headache.
good to know! I don't plan on doing any crawling or anything but the occasional towing might be a bit stressful on the trans. I just really like rowing my own boat.

plh

Explorer
The V6 manual is strong, Early versions might have pretty worn synchros by now. I would look for the last version made, V5MT1-6 found in the Montero Sport (V6) 1997 - 1999 model years.

Last edited:

ashgoff

The V6 manual is strong, Early versions might have pretty worn synchros by now. I would look for the last version made, V5MT1-6 found in the Montero Sport (V6) 1997 - 1999 model years.
does it bolt right up? And should I just spend the extra money for a factory manual or a gen 2? Also, I don't believe we got a manual offering past '97 in the states but i haven't looked for sports.

plh

Explorer
does it bolt right up? And should I just spend the extra money for a factory manual or a gen 2? Also, I don't believe we got a manual offering past '97 in the states but i haven't looked for sports.
Sports got the 5 speed through 1999MY in USA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1