Gen 3, 2003 Hydraulic Brake Booster HBB - Failure and Fix!

CharlieNorth

These are the major reason the '02 I bought is not something I want to drive. There are some real nice traits to the vehicle but I have no interest in being a few states away from home and have the brake system become inop and not band-aid able.
I have considered converting to basic vacuum boosted brakes.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
The brakes still work without the booster. You just don't get any help from the powered braking system. The accumulator is the main point of failure and it has an updated version. The accumulator allows the system to provide several power brake boosts even without electrical or engine power.

The design of the system is a carryover from larger diesel powered vehicles where vacuum lines are not used. These engines end up being under pressure from the turbocharger all the time. I think the design was borrowed from their FUSO line.

CharlieNorth

The part I do not care about in this system, your foot only controls the front brakes. The rear brakes are applied electronically. This is not noticeable to most people.
ABS systems and electronic braking defaults to "no brakes" in variable low or no grip conditions.
Living in salt country where wires and sensors get compromised this does not give me the warm and fuzzy that a conventional system does.
All of our vehicles are non ABS. We live on gravel, hilly roads and a large portion the year we have, or used to have unplowed or ice roads much of the time. Now we drive essentially in salt water. There are many times we need to lock the brakes to stabilize a vehicle, few drivers understand that. They just call and get towed out of the ditch.

Reactions: plh

plh

Explorer
The part I do not care about in this system, your foot only controls the front brakes. The rear brakes are applied electronically. This is not noticeable to most people.
ABS systems and electronic braking defaults to "no brakes" in variable low or no grip conditions.
Living in salt country where wires and sensors get compromised this does not give me the warm and fuzzy that a conventional system does.
All of our vehicles are non ABS. We live on gravel, hilly roads and a large portion the year we have, or used to have unplowed or ice roads much of the time. Now we drive essentially in salt water. There are many times we need to lock the brakes to stabilize a vehicle, few drivers understand that. They just call and get towed out of the ditch.

I also live in salt country, vehicles only reliable last 15 to 20 years here. My '05 is teetering on the edge and will be replaced within the next year I'm afraid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1