Gladiator Electric brake controller

Maloppa

Observer
Sorry if this subject has another thread, didn't find any one in some searches. Who has strong opinions on what electric break controller to mount in the Gladiator. Don't plan on pulling anything greater than 3500lbs, but wanted to search out some opinions. I've seen RedArc has one, but are there better or worse options? Do you really need one for smaller campers? Thanks

4000lbsOfGoat

I've been using the RedArc Tow Pro Elite with my ~3000lb trailer and I've been very happy with it (16k+ miles). The remote mounted control knob makes for a nice clean installation and the controller does what it is supposed to do.

Whether you "need" brakes for a smaller trailer is maybe a matter of the braking power of your tow rig but when you're creeping down loose rock on a 20-30 degree decline, it sure feels good to have brakes on the trailer....

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Isn’t there an integrated Mopar option for Gladiator. I’ve had several fords with factory brake controllers and love them. In my JK I’m running the Tekonsha P3
And really like it.

jbaucom

Based on what little I've read on the subject, it seems that adding the OE brake controller can be a bit of a nightmare; especially when compared to the relative simplicity of adding a plug-and-play aftermarket controller.

For the past couple of decades the Tekonsha Prodigy line (currently P3) has been the benchmark for aftermarket brake controllers. They are readily available, intuitive to use, and consistently perform well. If you have the OE towing package on your Gladiator, then a Tekonsha 3073-P direct plug-in harness will connect a Tekonsha brake controller to the pre-wired harness under the dash. Whatever you choose should be proportional and not time-delay.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I have the Tekonsha Prodigy P-3 in my JKU that I used when I pulled a Casita camper. It was a good, reasonably priced and easy to use product.

Maloppa

Observer
I called two different Jeep dealers and they both said there was an OE controller, but couldn't give me any info on it except price. It was expensive $300+ and neither had installed any. So I scratched that option. Went with the Redarc. Reviewed a couple install videos and the Gladiator has a direct wire for harness under dash and a minimal controller knob. Seemed good enough for the amount of towing I will be doing. I'll post some install info once it arrives. Thanks for all the info.

1stDeuce

Explorer
While normal driving may not require their use, ANY emergency stop will be far shorter when using trailer brakes than without them, even with a "fairly light" trailer, which is not light at all compared to the payload of your gladiator. That said, I recommend against using any of the cheaper "time delay" style controllers. They slowly ramp up the brakes as you stop, which can work fine for normal driving once you get used to it, but time ramped brakes are useless for an emergency situation, where you need max brakes immediately. Waht you want is a proportional brake controller.

I've been using Prodigy P2's for years now and I LOVE them. I had one Primus EQ which also worked good but was a little less "visual". I have not had one single issue with Tekonsha controllers, while others have given up on me over the years. I think the Redarc is also a good controller if judged by reviews, and the hidden aspect is nice, particularly in vehicles that don't have a place to hang a Prodigy. There is a Wrangler specific kit that includes a snap in bezel for mounting which might work in the Gladiator too... The Redarc Liberty is even priced well against the other proportional controllers.

I suspect that the factory brake controller is actually just a re-branded redarc style controller, but I'm not certain... It does talk about TWO harnesses under the dash, so it may be better integrated to consider ABS and stability control needs than any aftermarket controller... That can be nice, but for limited towing use, probably not necessary for the cost increase.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I use my Gladiator to flat tow my TJ. I ended up picking up a surge brake set up.

That's an interesting setup. No good for trailers, but a fairly reasonable way to achieve braking on a flat towed vehicle... Curious if you can really tell that it's "working" when used... Seems like it would be very sensitive to adjustment, and as it is using brakes with no power assist, likely fairly low braking power from the tow vehicle is actually achieved... ??

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I considered the Mopar brake controller, but I don't like that it replaces the dashboard 12v outlet. I was so impressed with the RedArc Elite controller on my JK that I decided to get another one for my JT. Installation is straightforward, and the tiny size of the knob means you have a choice of several locations to locate it.

Maloppa

Observer
Yes, installed the RedArc. Very easy installation. Wasn't impressed with the quality of the knob. Seemed to be pretty flimsy plastic. Guess there isn't a lot of times you have to mess with it. It is small and when mounted in the panel under the column it is out of the way. We will be pulling the Expedition 2.0 this weekend on the Ga Traverse, so we will see how it functions.

whelanc

I've been happy with the Curt Echo wireless brake controller - used it a few times. I'm getting a lightweight (~1850 dry) rig next year, and this should be fine for that set-up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design