Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

1000arms

Canyon and Grant camps in Yellowstone. Looks like Grand Teton camps are all booked for my dates.

If anyone knows of some dispersed camping sites around Jackson Hole, let me know. I'm not familiar with 4 wheel camping laws in Wyoming, but many times National Forest Lands allow dispersed camping.

The following links might be helpful:

chris the ogre

Beer Drinker
My wife and I have had good luck dispersed camping on BLM land. We would just look for a spot off a forest road. Was able to camp on the south rim of the Grand Canyon for free.

"Camping on public lands away from developed recreation facilities is referred to as dispersed camping. Most of the remainder of public lands are open to dispersed camping, as long as it does not conflict with other authorized uses or in areas posted "closed to camping," or in some way adversely affects wildlife species or natural resources."

Mules

It looks like there’s plenty of National Forest land to camp on in western and central Wyoming. Hope to find a couple camp sites next to creeks or I’ll be pretty ripe by the time I get home.:sneaky:

1000arms

It looks like there’s plenty of National Forest land to camp on in western and central Wyoming. Hope to find a couple camp sites next to creeks or I’ll be pretty ripe by the time I get home.:sneaky:
The laundromat in Colter Bay, GTNP, has pay showers. It is on the right, just beyond the general store, on the way to the Colter Bay Visitor Center (where you might stop in and ask the NPS Rangers about recent animal sightings).

See Google link (and you might then check the streetview): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9043668,-110.6422488,18z?entry=ttu

"Colter Bay Village has many facilities including a visitor center, restaurants, stores, cabins, and marina. Shower and laundry services are available for additional fee." is from:

Mules

I was walking through Harbor Freight and saw 15" tool bags for $7.99 today. I pickup up a few for the camper. They fit nicely under my kitchen counter and seats. One for the kitchen, one for dry goods/cans, and the other for tools.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_8321.JPG

Mules

I know you have campgrounds in Yellowstone NP for this trip, but the following link might be useful for another trip (Campgrounds Near Yellowstone National Park):

Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 7.10.54 AM.png

Thanks @1000arms! I've added Custer Gallatin National Park to the list. I'll be camping close to Red Lodge Montana, off the Beartoohth Pass for a day before I drop into Yellowstone. So far it's a 3,000 mile round trip in two weeks.

Every morning after breakfast, I'll drive to the next location and do some 4 wheeling, hiking, and sight seeing along the way. The camp locations are either National Forest or National Parks.

St. Louis, Missouri
Bad Lands, South Dakota
Black Hills, South Dakota
Custer Gallatin, Montana
Yellowstone (three different sites), Wyoming
Grand Teton, Wyoming
Still planning the return trip through Wyoming, Colorado, and Kansas...

Last edited:

1000arms

View attachment 783209

Thanks @1000arms! I've added Custer Gallatin National Forest to the list. I'll be camping close to Red Lodge Montana, off the Beartoohth Pass for a day before I drop into Yellowstone. So far it's a 3,000 mile round trip in two weeks.

Every morning after breakfast, I'll drive to the next location and do some 4 wheeling, hiking, and sight seeing along the way. The camp locations are either National Forest or National Parks.

St. Louis, Missouri
Bad Lands, South Dakota
Black Hills, South Dakota
Custer Gallatin, Montana
Yellowstone (three different sites), Wyoming
Grand Teton, Wyoming
Still planning the return trip through Wyoming, Colorado, and Kansas...
You are welcome! :) You might want to stop in at Tom Mangelsen's Images of Nature Gallery in Jackson Wyoming (just south of Grand Teton NP) to see some of his photographs.

Links to some of his images to get you thinking about your trip! :)

Last edited:

Mules

You might want to travel through Rocky Mountain NP in Colorado.

Enjoy Beartooth Highway! :)
I'll probably hit Rocky Mountain NP on the way back. I love that area for mountain biking / 4 wheeling in the summer and and snow mobiling / skiing in the winter. These pictures are in Arapaho National Forest just south of there. This was in August and this road was covered in snow a week earlier.

IMG_3200.JPGIMG_3208.JPGIMG_3214.JPG

1000arms

I'll probably hit Rocky Mountain NP on the way back. I love that area for mountain biking / 4 wheeling in the summer and and snow mobiling / skiing in the winter. These pictures are in Arapaho National Forest just south of there. This was in August and this road was covered in snow a week earlier.

View attachment 783292View attachment 783293View attachment 783294
Yeah, I saw Steamboat Springs CO marked on your return trip, and suggested Rocky Mountain NP due to the proximity. Fortunately you are already familiar with the park. :)

Have you traveled Beartooth Highway before?

Yeah, snow can fly at anytime in many mountains. :)

Mules

Does anyone have a recommendation for collapsible tent poles. I carry a 10 x 12 tarp in my truck for those rainy days, and need some poles. My ski poles are too short!

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_8329

JDaPP

Adventurer
Does anyone have a recommendation for collapsible tent poles. I carry a 10 x 12 tarp in my truck for those rainy days, and need some poles. My ski poles are too short!

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_8329
I just buy a couple of sizes of conduit at Lowe's and make what I need. You can drill holes for pins. I had some I got at sportsman's warehouse but they rusted up and where a pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk