Great Divide 25th anniversary

JSBriggs

Adventurer
Couldn't an LR3 tackle the Rubicon in the same manner as the stock 4Runner trip? Given that the dimensions of the vehicles don't differ much (clearance wise). Obviously they likely had to be very selective on their lines etc. I would expect that the modern rovers could have tagged along just fine on that trip.

I've never done the Rubicon but yes, I think a modern LR4 could handle it. But at a corporate level they have never done so. Better to photograph a new LR outside a fancy night club in NY or London.

My point is that in days of old LR would have looked for the most difficult 'natural' obstacles to overcome and sent a team to conquer it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rubicon is in my backyard, and it isn't what it used to be. I've done it in my RRC (2" lift, 34's but otherwise stock).
While it's touted as the Mecca of trails, there are plenty more difficult. Fordyce creek, duesy irsham, and the hammers, etc. It's still fun, but if you go after Jamboree, the stacked rocks make it even easier.

I'm not a fan of the independent suspension trucks. Long term reliability is still an issue. LWB's, P38's and D2's were capable when new as well, and still can be, but the gadgets and gizmos need to be reworked to be reliable. For me the jury is still out on the D3/4, L322/405.

-Jeff

roverandom

Adventurer
Just got emailed the skinny on the Great Divide Adventure

GREAT DIVIDE EXPEDITION
August 20 - 28, 2014 or September 3 - 12, 2014

To celebrate the 25th anniversary of our historic off-road crossing of the North American Great Divide, Land Rover is offering two chances to recreate the epic ride.

The journey begins at the Four Seasons Hotel Denver where you’ll meet your Land Rover Driving Instructors. On day two you’ll head towards Breckenridge and a relaxing evening at One Ski Place. Day three brings you to Aspen via the 13,188 ft Mosquito Pass before a night at the historic landmark, Hotel Jerome. Next a visit to Tincup, a once-thriving mining camp, before you head to a private ranch for gourmet dining and campfire entertainment.

The next days transport you to the Wild West through Old Cow Town, historic Ouray and Silverton. Routes between each will put your Land Rover vehicle to the test. The journey winds down over the final two days on the way to Telluride. Enjoy an evening at the luxurious Hotel Madeline and a farewell dinner at world-class restaurant Alpino Vino before being transported to the Telluride Airport to conclude the adventure.

Great Divide Adventure:
August 20 - 28, 2014
Price per single: $9,000
Price per couple: $13,000

September 3 - 12, 2014
Price per single: $9,800
Price per couple: $14,000

To plan your Land Rover Adventure, please contact the Land Rover Concierge at (828) 225-1541.

Clucking Bell, don't forget your golf clubs!

Mack73

Adventurer
Clucking Bell, don't forget your golf clubs!

..... yes I also got that email. Nothing like driving around Colorado to celebrate the great divide expedition in central/south America..........................argh

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
..... yes I also got that email. Nothing like driving around Colorado to celebrate the great divide expedition in central/south America..........................argh

Unless I am mistaken, the original great divide expedition was entirely within Colorado.

Mack73

Adventurer
Unless I am mistaken, the original great divide expedition was entirely within Colorado.

Hahhaha I'm such a fool
For some reason I had the Darien Gap expedition stuck in my head... but that is obviously greater than 25 years ago....

pugslyyy

Hahhaha I'm such a fool
For some reason I had the Darien Gap expedition stuck in my head... but that is obviously greater than 25 years ago....

No worries. I'm actually really surprised that nobody's head has exploded here yet from seeing that $14,000 expedition price for 10 days in Colorado. :)

nuclearmonkey

Observer
I've seen descriptions of each day (too/from/mileage/difficulty/etc), but not aware of an actual map.

If you know where to find any of the trail info, I'd love to hear / take a look at it. I'm two months out from a CO & UT trip, and I'd like to compare notes and see if I'm leaving anything monumental out. :sombrero:

Thanks!!

pugslyyy

If you know where to find any of the trail info, I'd love to hear / take a look at it. I'm two months out from a CO & UT trip, and I'd like to compare notes and see if I'm leaving anything monumental out. :sombrero:

Thanks!!

Check this dweb thread It includes a pdf file of the route (which you probably need to be signed in on dweb to access).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1