Grenadier Build Thread: Crossing Africa

Scott Brady

Founder
It isn't much of a build, as I am keeping it mostly stock, but there are a few changes I made for fuel storage and to sleeping inside. I prepped it for crossing Africa, but wouldn't do much different for use in the USA.

Here is a detailed walk-a-round I recorded in Mozambique.

This shows the custom platform in the back. Super simple and stows four Front Runner boxes underneath. Joe is 6'7", so there is plenty of room to sleep inside.

IMG_5852.jpeg

IMG_5850.jpeg

IMG_5849.jpeg

IMG_6398.jpeg

zimm

Expedition Leader
Oh wow, is this a useful post. What is the max sleeping clearance with the seats pushed forward? I use a similar setup in my fj60 except the forward extension slides out so its not a cargo handling moving situation. my intent was to figure out how to install the same system in the gren. I'm 6'4" 205 and it can accommodate me head to toe, but the seats have to full forward for comfort and not touching head and toe.

SkiWill

This is a very practical set up and use case. What's the fuel consumption with everything loaded on the roof? With the stock tank, two jerry cans, and two bladders how much fuel is that total for what effective range?

Based on Ineos' estimate of 14 mpg, that's Ram Power Wagon territory but with a much smaller tank.

2.ooohhh

Oh wow, is this a useful post. What is the max sleeping clearance with the seats pushed forward? I use a similar setup in my fj60 except the forward extension slides out so its not a cargo handling moving situation. my intent was to figure out how to install the same system in the gren. I'm 6'4" 205 and it can accommodate me head to toe, but the seats have to full forward for comfort and not touching head and toe.

I caught in the video his friend is 6’7” and was sleeping in the ‘gren in that configuration which makes me think I can probably pull off 6’ without having to fiddle with the front seats so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp