Hadley and Tardis STOLEN, PLEASE HELP LOOK

austintaco

Explorer
I check back on this thread in hopes that everything is working out. I have had good luck with insurance with Nationwide allowing me to state values for the additional equipment on my vehicles. They even moved my 85 Supra over to Hagerty and it dropped my premium and gives me better coverage.

Paul B.

Adventurer
There is also vehicle thievery by flatbed truck. You should have a pretty foolproof tracking device and/or devices in there also. Hell, have everything you can.

that sucks

in the unlikely event that it happens again can you get some sort of gps tracking device mounted to it. It might speed recovery and prevent the damage to your gear. It is probably something we should all do. any suggestions?

1tonpaulie

Stolen truck

Did you ever get the taco back. Been following this tread and every couple of days looking at nothing. Just had to ask. I hope you got it back and the cops hang the bastards that stole it

1stDeuce

Explorer
I had a four wheeler stolen, figured out the truck from the tracks, know who owns it, he has a history of stealing four wheelers, and the cops STILL can't do anything to recover it unless he puts it somewhere that they can SEE it. Unfortunately, the thieves will just about have to abandon the truck in order for it to be recovered. Or someone will have to see it, and call it in, and stay on it or disable it until the cops arrive. :(

I've checked into GPS tracking. It's fairly inexpensive, with the tracker costing ~$50, and the service about $20/month for many of them. Not a bad plan for "insurance" if you're into that sort of thing. If I lived in my truck, I'd probably do it. A slightly more useful alternative if you have such a thing is to leave an inReach in the truck and turned on, but out of sight. If the truck goes missing, you can enable tracking on the inReach remotely from any computer, and know exactly where the truck is within 10 minutes.

Of course, that'll only last until they find the inReach and toss it, or turn it off, or it goes dead, but even two days of potential tracking is better than zero.

For more dedicated vehicle tracking, try Linxup and AwareGPS. I thought about buying one of the hard wired trackers, installing it in a hidden location, activating the tracking for a month to make sure it works, and then turning off the service. If the truck gets stolen, I can re-subscribe to the service and hopefully know where it is the same day... Just a thought.

Best luck!!

fredgoodsell

Adventurer
This is just awful. So much work and personalization just for some pond scum thief to ruin it.

I'm wondering: I was under the impression that the immobilizer system like in the Tacoma (chipped key) makes a vehicle much harder to actually drive away. Is that false security? How easy is it to get around that system?

1stDeuce

Explorer
In general the latest systems using transponders are pretty hard to get around without specialized electronics. My guess would be that either this truck didn't have the transponder (is it optional?) or the thieves found a key for it, or in it. :(

Hopefully insurance has gotten this taken care of by now, and he's the proud owner of a replacement project, er, truck... :)

fredgoodsell

Adventurer
In general the latest systems using transponders are pretty hard to get around without specialized electronics. My guess would be that either this truck didn't have the transponder (is it optional?) or the thieves found a key for it, or in it. :(

Hopefully insurance has gotten this taken care of by now, and he's the proud owner of a replacement project, er, truck... :)
Hoping he's gotten taken care of by insurance too.

The TRD models all have the transponder key standard

DVexile

Adventurer
The TRD models all have the transponder key standard

Actually they don't and it has nothing to do with trim package. All V6 2nd Gen Tacomas have a transponder key regardless of trim package. All I4 2nd Gen Tacomas do not have a transponder key regardless of trim package.

Now certain packages may not commonly come with an I4 and thus typically have a transponder, but again all that matters for the transponder is the engine and not the trim package.

I also hope this has come to some less painful resolution by now :(

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
Cops love when stolen vehicles have LowJack or similar. We are more than happy to go recover a stolen vehicle, especially when it requires little to know work on our part.

I would get with your insurance and see what systems they give discounts for.

I had a four wheeler stolen, figured out the truck from the tracks, know who owns it, he has a history of stealing four wheelers, and the cops STILL can't do anything to recover it unless he puts it somewhere that they can SEE it. Unfortunately, the thieves will just about have to abandon the truck in order for it to be recovered. Or someone will have to see it, and call it in, and stay on it or disable it until the cops arrive. :(

I've checked into GPS tracking. It's fairly inexpensive, with the tracker costing ~$50, and the service about $20/month for many of them. Not a bad plan for "insurance" if you're into that sort of thing. If I lived in my truck, I'd probably do it. A slightly more useful alternative if you have such a thing is to leave an inReach in the truck and turned on, but out of sight. If the truck goes missing, you can enable tracking on the inReach remotely from any computer, and know exactly where the truck is within 10 minutes.

Of course, that'll only last until they find the inReach and toss it, or turn it off, or it goes dead, but even two days of potential tracking is better than zero.

For more dedicated vehicle tracking, try Linxup and AwareGPS. I thought about buying one of the hard wired trackers, installing it in a hidden location, activating the tracking for a month to make sure it works, and then turning off the service. If the truck gets stolen, I can re-subscribe to the service and hopefully know where it is the same day... Just a thought.

Best luck!!

fredgoodsell

Adventurer
Actually they don't and it has nothing to do with trim package. All V6 2nd Gen Tacomas have a transponder key regardless of trim package. All I4 2nd Gen Tacomas do not have a transponder key regardless of trim package.

Now certain packages may not commonly come with an I4 and thus typically have a transponder, but again all that matters for the transponder is the engine and not the trim package.

I also hope this has come to some less painful resolution by now :(

All 2nd gen Tacomas with either TRD package have the v6, and therefore the transponder. I only referenced the trim package because the OP's truck is easiest to identify as a TRD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1