Halloween in the Swell

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
October 31, 2009

Since Amanda is in Illinois for the next week, I decided that I would head out to the San Rafael Swell for Halloween this year. I was originally planning on camping and making it a weekend trip, but since a cold front came through earlier this week, I changed my mind and didn't feel like camping anymore, so I made it a day trip instead :)

My first destination was a rock art panel that I have been meaning to get to for a while. I've driven by and near Black Dragon Canyon a number of times, but this time I would make it a point to check it out.

IMG_0942.jpg

Pictographs in Black Dragon Canyon (unfortunately at some point in the past, someone thought it was a good idea to outline some of the pictographs in chalk).

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

After leaving Black Dragon Canyon and following the wash for a little ways, I met up with the ************** Benches trail and made my way down the spur that used to lead to Sulphur Springs.

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Next I took the trail that used to go to Swaseys Leap to it's end before heading back to the Buckhorn Wash Road.

IMG_1095.jpg

Bottleneck Peak
IMG_1115.jpg

I stopped at the swinging bridge over the San Rafael River for a few photos.

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

Leaving the bridge, I headed down the Mexican Mountain Road. Right before reaching Mexican Mountain (and the end of the road) I met an Emery County Sheriff who was heading the opposite direction. We stopped and had a nice chat and he gave me a map of the area that I did not have yet.

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Nice colors
IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

I made a quick stop at the Buckhorn Wash Pictograph panel, but the sun was shining right on them which washed out most of my pictures.

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

When I reached the intersection with the Green River Cutoff, I headed east again to the tunroff for the Tidwell Draw trail, which would take me back to I-70.

Part of the Tidwell Draw trail followed the Old Spanish Trail....

IMG_1292.jpg

While other parts followed some power lines...

IMG_1287.jpg

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
After reaching I-70 I started on my way back home and stopped in Green River for a bite to eat. But before I made it home I got off the pavement just as the sun was setting on the Yellow Cat Road, and took a few photos.

Headed towards the La Sals
IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

Fun with shadows
IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

ROKTAXI

Adventurer
I was out there the day before you were there. Found an interesting dino track and some roads that went no where. Was tempted to do another day cause of the full moon but.........

Attachments

• dino.trk.jpg
    dino.trk.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 49

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Great shots! I keep saying my next trip over that way is gong to be to the swell.... and I'll say it again. haha :D

KUMA

Observer
Wow looks absolutely amazing right now at this time of the year! Great looking Cherokee you got there! Makes me dread winter right now, I want to just go out and play in moab more!

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Great shots! My wife and I just had the opportunity to ride along with a few EXPO members who were kind enough to take us out for a guided weekend on almost every trail you took

Dr. Moab and XJbanker were quite the hosts and that area left us with a new found love for everything Utah!

Great Trip Report! Anyone thinking of heading out to the swell, you need to spend more than a few days because there is so much to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1