**HELP** 2004 Tacoma wiring issues

climber-420

Adventurer
So I have a 2004 Ext Cab TRD Tacoma. I had a similar issue last year, and had the help of DeadBeatSon to solve the issue. This time, it is the RIGHT rear tail light(last time was LEFT side, did some rewiring from trailer harness). Brake light works. Reverse light works. Blinker Works. When headlights are turned on, the back right tail light won't light up, but all other functions work. The right side license plate bulb is out as well. I have replaced all bulbs.So I do have a topper, looked at the fuses for the wiring there (3rd brake light), and the are fine. I am just kind of baffled at how all the bulbs works, but the right rear tail light won't light up when the headlights are on. It has to be a simple fix. The right license plate light, and the tail light (when headlights are on) have to be connected somehow, b/c they are both out (replaced both with new bulbs) I am at a loss here. I am somewhat handy and mechanically inclined, but not with electrical. Ideas? Troubleshooting? Should I just cut off all pieces to the ************** U-Haul trailer wiring that the PO had installed?

Can anyone in Denver help a guy out? I can provide beers. I would like to get this fixed ASAP, as I am sure some cop will be pulling me over in the near future to inform me about the issue.

Thanks.

skrillah

Adventurer
Could be a lot of things. I'd strip down to the basics of the wiring (i.e. removing the trailer harness). Electrical issues can be a bear anyways especially if dealing with a previously installed mod that you don't know was done correctly. Then assuming that doesn't take care of it, you can proceed with a normal troubleshooting from there.

I will admit, that is weird that its only happening to one side. Have you hooked it up to an actual trailer? Does the trailer lights do the same thing or do they work?

climber-420

Adventurer
The lights have been. It was only this past weekend a friend saw it and pointed it out. As for the trailer, the right side never worked, but the left side did. I just need to crawl under the truck and rip that harness out.

climber-420

Adventurer
So pissed at myself right now. It was a "broken" wire, that cost me $48 to fix. I took it across the business complex to a mechanic, who I thought would charge me $20 at most, but nope, he charged for a full hour of time. I can't believe that I didn't see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1