Here's why a mitsubishi montero is the best SUV to buy right now

plh

Explorer
Someone needs to make licensed copies of Gen 2 Monteros in the states with updated drivetrain, steering and re engineered cabin for use with todays tech while still keeping the mechanics of the machine tractor simple. Is that too much to ask? Anyone want to give me a loan to start a car company?

Company in Illinois is going to do this with the original Bronco '66 - '77 style. Complete with new VIN. Authorized by FORD. Starting price $95K and moves up to $250K...

I read different pricing than this article:

https://jalopnik.com/an-illinois-company-is-building-brand-new-ford-licensed-1830970324

https://www.gatewaybronco.com/

Yesterday I saw a beautiful early Bronco driving around my neighborhood. Wouldn't be surprised if it was one of these.

Last edited:

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
Someone needs to make licensed copies of Gen 2 Monteros in the states with updated drivetrain, steering and re engineered cabin for use with todays tech while still keeping the mechanics of the machine tractor simple. Is that too much to ask? Anyone want to give me a loan to start a car company?

The reality for these old girls is that they will become the way of the resto-mod. Which I'm okay with. Classic lines, function, fit and feel, but with modern electronics, drivelines, etc.
I hope to pick up a Gen 2.5 soon, and once I have one I can keep close to original, I'll be on the hunt for a dead 2.5 to do a resto-mod on. New Engine, tranny, suspension setup and steering. Not to go monster big or anything crazy, but a rework of the system.

These things are definitely more rare than hen's teeth, but they are still out there. The truth to keeping these things alive will be just like I had to do with my CJ7 before parts became available, and still aren't very common. Fab everything up by hand. The more people we have fabbing new ideas up that others can work with, the longer we will allow these things to survive without that aftermarket support. More than half of the fabbed stuff on my Jeep came from ideas other people had tried. I just copied their idea and made it work for my own.

That's also why forums like this and the groups are so important.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I went with my grandfather and picked this old truck up last weekend, 1969 with only 22k miles. No skirts obviously but almost all original otherwise, a steal for $1500. It had been sitting in the back of the owners property since the 80's, nobody in the neighborhood knew it was there. As soon as it was unearthed people were trying to buy it, the owner didn't budge for any amount because they had already shook hands on the deal. These old guys are legit, now i know where i get it from.

20181215_115009.jpg20181215_114938.jpg20181215_115229.jpg20181215_114923.jpg20181215_114930.jpg20181215_115320.jpg

That same morning i went to a guy's house and bought an '03 Outlander AWD, it wasn't running but i thought with minimal tools and maybe some Montero parts it would be a good little machine for $800. Rolled the dice, got the old girl running in his driveway and took it home.
20181216_145902.jpg

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
He mentioned that he has purchased one. I am curious if he has a profile here. I am sure he has gone to the ADD forum for support and information. I also like that he linked the online museum. It has a lot of good history, part of why I keep it in my signature.

He bought mine, The first Monty in the article is mine/his.

evomaki

Observer
You got the non-running Outlander running in the seller's driveway and drove off. Nice! I'm sure after the title was signed over....

Swift_45a

Observer
Please do that on Mars and leave Earth to the rest of us. To be sold on Musk...
Conmen gonna con. :unsure:

I'm more focused on pivoting the Global transportation system on something that doesn't entirely rely on War and a handful of multi-nationals that can send countries to War for their own ends.

I spent most of my youth and young adult Life with an interest, passion, or a direct role within some form of motorsports and the Auto Industry, 2 and 4 wheels; and yet I'd gamble on this, than to simply keep the status quo. Elon is only the face of a movement, but its all the Engineers, Techs that I'm really betting on here. And I've seen their progress, I fell in love with Tesla Model 3 Performance model that I drove. I ride something that has a better power to weigth ratio than a Ferarri Enzo and a part of me still was more impressed with the Model 3.

Last edited:

Toasty

You got the non-running Outlander running in the seller's driveway and drove off. Nice! I'm sure after the title was signed over....

Unfortunately no, the seller was selling it for his daughter and she was supposed to be there to get the title notarized but she signed it and left. I actually left their house like "well at least i got your car running", i figured all was lost and told him to call me once he tracked her down and got the thing to a notary. To my surprise he called me an hour later to meet up and hand it over, closer to my house luckily. So it worked out.

Swift_45a

Observer
And the best selling highway capable electric car of all time is a Nissan. Not a Tesla..
turns out that plant farms are all already solar farms and fuel grows on trees. Fuel that retroactively turns every petroleum powered engine on Earth into a solar powered engine....

I was a tech at Nissan, primarily to focus on the Leaf after having left BMW and VW (both who have hybrid/EV cars of their own) and I can tell you that their battery issues were just as bad (overheating and causing premature death) as Tesla's. BMW's i3 (hybrid) was, like most BMWs, a car with so many hidden costs that it seemed like it was more a minor gesture to the World they held some relevence in the space; their only full fledged EV to date is an i8, which i've been in and it seemed more like a race chassis than a modern road car.

The e-golf was also not made to sell in masse as the numbers were very limited, we had waiting lists for months just for a test drive, and this is for people who were involved with the Tdi buy-back loyalty program. My point is that EV is still in early stage of automotive manufacturing, so its rife with issues. Tesla is no different.

And yet despite all these challenges the Model 3 remains the best selling sedan in the US in 2018:

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/09/09/tesla-model-3-becomes-1-best-selling-car-in-the-us/

Its not very affordable right now, as they are only focused on fulfilling the orders for the performance model and dual motor due to how the assembly line has been rolled out; but the 35k model will be available for purchase. What was remarkable to me is that it remains the only car, let alone US based, to have had over 300k+ pre-orders sight unseen. I also think you're marginalizing just how difficult the deployment of the Supercharger network around the World has been, in such a short time.

As for your argument for plant based fuels, aside for farm equipment and some crazy (m)ethanol race cars, ethanol alone is unsuitable for daily purposes. The mpg is abysmal, though you are right in saying it is far more ecological, and the idea of every community farm turning their bio-waste into fuel does have it's charm, however, its entirely impractical and unsustainable.

I'm afraid I don't enough about their cobalt mining strategy to make a rebuttal, but I do know they tried to buy a startup with access in the Salton sea for its Lithium, which is primarily what the battery is:

https://www.desertsun.com/story/tec...ered-325-million-salton-sea-startup/84913572/

Also, those 'subsidies' you mentioned are really just tax exemptions, because other than the loan they got from the DOE during the financial crises (which they back paid early, and with interest) they have been sourcing their funds directly from the Market/stakeholders or Elon himself.

I'm not here to evangelize Elon--as their are enough people out there for that--I just felt like sharing my personal anecdotes within the Industry. But what needs to be focused on is that even Ghosn at Nissan isn't thinking long-term enough to make EV practical, as he quietly guts the quality control of almost the entire lineup at Nissan.

Last edited:

AZPAJERO

Observer
I was a tech at Nissan, primarily to focus on the Leaf after having left BMW and VW (both who have hybrid/EV cars of their own) and I can tell you that their battery issues were just as bad (overheating and causing premature death) as Tesla's. BMW's i3 (hybrid) was, like most BMWs, a car with so many hidden costs that it seemed like it was more a minor gesture to the World they held some relevence in the space; their only full fledged EV to date is an i8, which i've been in and it seemed more like a race chassis than a modern road car.

The e-golf was also not made to sell in masse as the numbers were very limited, we had waiting lists for months just for a test drive, and this is for people who were involved with the Tdi buy-back loyalty program. My point is that EV is still in early stage of automotive manufacturing, so its rife with issues. Tesla is no different.

And yet despite all these challenges the Model 3 remains the best selling sedan in the US in 2018:

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/09/09/tesla-model-3-becomes-1-best-selling-car-in-the-us/

Its not very affordable right now, as they are only focused on fulfilling the orders for the performance model and dual motor due to how the assembly line has been rolled out; but the 35k model will be available for purchase. What was remarkable to me is that it remains the only car, let alone US based, to have had over 300k+ pre-orders sight unseen. I also think you're marginalizing just how difficult the deployment of the Supercharger network around the World has been, in such a short time.

As for your argument for plant based fuels, aside for farm equipment and some crazy (m)ethanol race cars, ethanol alone is unsuitable for daily purposes. The mpg is abysmal, though you are right in saying it is far more ecological, and the idea of every community farm turning their bio-waste into fuel does have it's charm, however, its entirely impractical and unsustainable.

I'm afraid I don't enough about their cobalt mining strategy to make a rebuttal, but I do know they tried to buy a startup with access in the Salton sea for its Lithium, which is primarily what the battery is:

https://www.desertsun.com/story/tec...ered-325-million-salton-sea-startup/84913572/

Also, those 'subsidies' you mentioned are really just tax exemptions, because other than the loan they got from the DOE during the financial crises (which they back paid early, and with interest) they have been sourcing their funds directly from the Market/stakeholders or Elon himself.

I'm not here to evangelize Elon--as their are enough people out there for that--I just felt like sharing my personal anecdotes within the Industry. But what needs to be focused on is that even Ghosn at Nissan isn't thinking long-term enough to make EV practical, as he quietly guts the quality control of almost the entire lineup at Nissan.

Wow, learned something. Thanks for sharing.

Se7en62

Adventure Seeker
I love my Gen 2.5 resto-mod. I'll never sell it, but I do want another one to keep in stock form. Then I want to pick up a Gen 1 and a Gen 3 to complete the collection. After that's complete, I want to import a Gen 2.5 SWB Pajero and then I think I'll be able to call it done. - All for less then the price of a new vehicle, 100x as fun, and much more unique.

Toasty

Pretty much the main reason for the Montero being the best SUV to buy right now would be the same reason it always was and why many of us bought them in the first place. The most 4x4 for the least amount of money, they are getting scarce just as they've hit their prime in the states. I'd like a 2000 for a stockish restomod, all new interior, rebuilt axles, lockers, 2UZ/Aisin 5 speed/2.57 Tcase, 32" all terrains on some tastefull 17's. That would give me a nice driver and camping machine to compliment my more Mitsu '99 for the real offroad work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1