Hierarchy of hard sided campers that handle the snow/winter?

calameda

But regardless of industry, if you are looking to maintain and keep up with the latest and greatest market trends, despicable behavior is to be expected from any so-called "friends"
I can concede that’s too often true, while also condemning the behavior and not just brushing it off as normal business. Mind you, this wasn’t a competitor but an intimately trusted and necessary partner. Without such build partners, a company like TC probably couldn’t exist.

There are mostly good corporate citizens in our small community (it’s not big enough to attract the truly evil ones!) but there are a few bad ones. Not many, luckily, but a few. Victorian/TC certainly is one of the best. I imagine most here want to know who the good ones and bad ones are, as I do. If a company betrays its business partners, chances are they wont do right by their customers either.

Knowledgeable, trustworthy vendors are an indispensable cornerstone of this hobby/community. We should support them. And not cast a blind eye to bad actors.

<off soapbox>

Last edited:

yamaha225

Not to hijack this thread, but I would be curious to know more about what happened between OAT and Total Composites.

Also, I think Idasho’s advice is on point for the OP. Used truck campers can often be had for pretty cheap. Like he did, that would give you a chance to figure out what works and what doesn’t with a low initial investment. Then if you decide to upgrade you can do so from a more knowledgeable point of view. Do keep in mind that most “off the shelf” truck campers leak at some point in their lives so buy carefully or do like I did and just expect there to be issues. I just got a 1989 Coachman for $2,000. It’s not perfect, but it’s in good shape for its age and was well looked after by an older couple who are family friends. It should allow me to figure out what I want in my future custom camper build.

calameda

That's a pretty damning characterization.

Lot of folks read this stuff, trust you can cash that cheque.

No check written, you took my statement out of context. The context was:
Knowledgeable, trustworthy vendors are an indispensable cornerstone of this hobby/community. We should support them. And not cast a blind eye to bad actors.

“not cast a blind eye to bad actors” was a response to IdaSHO's statement that:
But regardless of industry, if you are looking to maintain and keep up with the latest and greatest market trends, despicable behavior is to be expected from any so-called "friends"

I assumed the reference was obvious because, well, I quoted it.

no further comment.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
And there is a big difference between broad industry comments and calling out specifics with regard to individuals and/or businesses.

As much as a relationship gone sour stings, Im sure there is nothing Victorian/TC want LESS than to air out their laundry on a public forum.

klahanie

daydream believer
No check written, you took my statement out of context. The context was:

“not cast a blind eye to bad actors” was a response to IdaSHO's statement that:

I assumed the reference was obvious because, well, I quoted it.

no further comment.

Say what you will about me.

True, I should have quoted the entire post.
Yes, you quoted another member :

but then you wrote of specifics
Mind you, this wasn’t a competitor but an intimately trusted and necessary partner

As for context, I'll let the gentle reader - as I am - make their own take on what has been posted:
I can concede that’s too often true, while also condemning the behavior and not just brushing it off as normal business. Mind you, this wasn’t a competitor but an intimately trusted and necessary partner. Without such build partners, a company like TC probably couldn’t exist.

There are mostly good corporate citizens in our small community (it’s not big enough to attract the truly evil ones!) but there are a few bad ones. Not many, luckily, but a few. Victorian/TC certainly is one of the best. I imagine most here want to know who the good ones and bad ones are, as I do. If a company betrays its business partners, chances are they wont do right by their customers either.

<off soapbox>

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
And there is a big difference between broad industry comments and calling out specifics with regard to individuals and/or businesses.

As much as a relationship gone sour stings, Im sure there is nothing Victorian/TC want LESS than to air out their laundry on a public forum.
Not to hijack this thread, but I would be curious to know more about what happened between OAT and Total Composites.

Also, I think Idasho’s advice is on point for the OP. Used truck campers can often be had for pretty cheap. Like he did, that would give you a chance to figure out what works and what doesn’t with a low initial investment. Then if you decide to upgrade you can do so from a more knowledgeable point of view. Do keep in mind that most “off the shelf” truck campers leak at some point in their lives so buy carefully or do like I did and just expect there to be issues. I just got a 1989 Coachman for $2,000. It’s not perfect, but it’s in good shape for its age and was well looked after by an older couple who are family friends. It should allow me to figure out what I want in my future custom camper build.

Sorry can’t go too deep into details as this now with our Lawyers. But I can summarize what happened to avoid the wrong rumours from spreading.
For the last two years, while working with us in a wholesale/trusted builder relationship OAT and DDG formed an alliance to secretly develop their own Pultrusions and panel system. Anyone looking at their “new system” will clearly see the straight copy of our IP and technical designs.
All at the same we were kept in the dark, referring customers to them and assumed it’s business as usual. This includes sharing trade secrets, material testing results, upcoming new products etc.
At the same time they had the guts to approach current and potential customers hoping to get their business.

In any case, if you heart anything else from them, be your own judge …… or reach out to us per email or pm. The last thing we are asking for is a turmoil in this fairly small industry.

Cheers and thank you all for your kind responses we received already.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Sorry about the troubles. And no disrespect intended with my comments, quite the opposite actually. Cheers to hopefully a quick positive outcome and some legit justice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk