Hole-in-the-Rock Adventure 2010

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Unfortunately I took a wrong turn by staying on the main road and not following the bottom of Red Canyon and didn't quite make it to Lake Powell. By the time I realized my error, it was time to turn around and head back out, so I'll have to come back other time to finish all of Red Canyon. There are a number of side trails in the area, so I need to go back anyways ;)

IMG_7096.jpg

IMG_7105.jpg

When I reached the pavement again, I headed to Blanding for some dinner. Being a Sunday in Utah, pretty much my only option was Subway. After dinner I headed south to Bluff so that I could check out The Bluff Fort Historic Site, which is dedicated to the San Juan Mission and their settlement at Bluff, Utah. I figured that stopping my this site would be the perfect end to my Hole-in-the-Rock weekend!

The Navajo Twins towering above Bluff
IMG_7114.jpg

IMG_7116.jpg

Sunbonnet Rock, dedicated to the pioneers of the San Juan Mission in 1958
IMG_7126.jpg

Sunbonnet Rock and the Navajo Twins
IMG_7128.jpg

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Here's a few photos from The Bluff Fort Historic Site

Kumen Jones Ruin
IMG_7137.jpg

IMG_7147.jpg

The Barton's well and cabin
IMG_7149.jpg

Plenty of wagons around

IMG_7157.jpg

IMG_7168.jpg

IMG_7171.jpg

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
But I think this was the coolest wagon at the site, as it was one of the original wagons to travel through the Hole-in-the-Rock trail

IMG_7192.jpg

IMG_7194.jpg

IMG_7201.jpg

IMG_7210.jpg

IMG_7216.jpg

After wandering around the Bluff Fort for a while, it started to get late so I needed to find a place to camp. I decided to head over to the Sand Island Recreation Area a few miles outside of Bluff for the night.

IMG_7224.jpg

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
From my campsite, I was able to walk over to the Sand Island petroglyphs and shoot a few photos.

IMG_7253.jpg

IMG_7262.jpg

IMG_7278.jpg

IMG_7295.jpg

After a good nights sleep, I headed over to the Twin Rocks Cafe for some breakfast and then up to the Bluff Cemetary, where I found the grave sites of some of the original pioneers.

IMG_7301.jpg

IMG_7304.jpg

Before heading home, I stopped at the Bluff Fort again. This time while they were open.

IMG_7309.jpg

IMG_7333.jpg

IMG_7335.jpg

This was definitely a trip to remember!

Willman

Way cool!

Moody and i have been talking about doing this for a while.

Looks like a great trip!

Wonder how the trailer would do on this one.....Heck...if the pioneers can do it in their wagons.....The trailer should do fine....I'm always up for a good time!

:smiley_drive:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Great stuff Randy. I can't remember if we chatted about this on EU but are we sure the cable marks are from the wagons or from the Jeepers in the 50's? I know they were winching the Jeeps back up from the river (crazy to think they got Jeeps all the way to the then river). Seems the San Juan Mission folks would have had fiber ropes rather than steel cable?

OverlandGE

Excellent pictures and write up. I did a similar trip last year, but I did the hole in the rock trail from Escalante. Nice scenery

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
You are correct.

Great stuff Randy. I can't remember if we chatted about this on EU but are we sure the cable marks are from the wagons or from the Jeepers in the 50's? I know they were winching the Jeeps back up from the river (crazy to think they got Jeeps all the way to the then river). Seems the San Juan Mission folks would have had fiber ropes rather than steel cable?

I had an LDS institute teacher who did his masters thesis on The San Juan Mission. He is on of the foremost experts on Hole in the Rock. He took us on the east side of the trail twice in our Jeeps. What a class camping and off roading. He currently lives in Blanding. His name is William Le Grand Black. He goes by Le Grand. There is not much on him on the internet. In his research the grooves you are talking about were made by the winch from a WWII Dodge Power Wagon. They got it to the top of the climb, turned it around, and then used it to pull up the other vehicles.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I had an LDS institute teacher who did his masters thesis on The San Juan Mission. He is on of the foremost experts on Hole in the Rock. He took us on the east side of the trail twice in our Jeeps. What a class camping and off roading. He currently lives in Blanding. His name is William Le Grand Black. He goes by Le Grand. There is not much on him on the internet. In his research the grooves you are talking about were made by the winch from a WWII Dodge Power Wagon. They got it to the top of the climb, turned it around, and then used it to pull up the other vehicles.

I'm very familiar with his thesis, its a cherished part of my library. It must have been his thesis that tipped me curiosity on the cable grooves. Le Grand would be a most interesting character to meet. In his thesis he refers to a 50's era video of 4x4's on the HITR, I would love to get my hands on that. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design