How do you keep gear safe in open bed Tacoma ?

Bob Freda

Adventurer
In about a month we are headed from Massachusetts to Moab Utah with our Tacoma . The RTT is mounted on a bed rack and has worked very well in the past. My fridge will be strapped in the rear seat and plugged into an outlet that I added. My problem is on the way to Utah we will be staying at roadside hotels and all of my camping and recovery gear will be exposed in the bed under the tent.

image.jpg

I have been thinking maybe I could get some kind of cargo net and lock setup, or add plywood sides and back ( dosen't need to be waterproof) but would look terrible. Any thoughts how you would protect your gear for the road trip ?

image.jpg
image.jpg

This would just be for the road trip part of our adventure, I'm not concerned for the camping part of the trip.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Depending on the type and amount of gear I usually either move it into the backseat or into the hotel room.

forty2

Adventurer
2nd bed drawers. Plus a locking tailgate. With the bed rack in the way it's not coming out without a serious amount of effort.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Can you fit everything under a tonneau cover? My current truck came with one and I'm surprised how much I'm liking using it. No it's not locked or truly safe but like with most things, out of sight out of mind. You can get them cheap on craigslist and hack it up the way you need to with the bed rack. Mine is a soft roll up type. I've thought about getting a hardshell one for my wife's truck. She would rather only use the cap when we travel, so she can see out of the back better.

My 2cents. Get a hard style, maybe 3 or 4 piece system, make it work with your rack and it might be more secure and give you piece of mind.

-george

Xrunner

Explorer
Drawers are a solid answer or maybe consider building an extruded metal cage under the rack you already have?

Clutch

<---Pass
With the bed rack in the way it's not coming out without a serious amount of effort.

All kinds of security fasteners out there.

Of course, thieves prefer crowbars and hammers...which makes any fancy fastener moot...

Could always trade in the Tacoma for a Honda Ridgeline and get a trunk monkey... :elkgrin:

mike2100

Observer
This is the reason I bought a camper shell. I know it's an expensive option but I like the peace of mind. The only downside is the extra weight.
I'd considered weather-proof, lockable drawers but they are expensive too.

Finlay

Triarius
If we are stopped at a rest stop or some such, the truck is never alone. Mostly, this is because the dogs are in it. But also to keep our stuff ours.

Most of our gear is in bins or containers of various shapes and sizes. If we are staying in a La Quinta or something, they come in with us - they all have luggage carts which work well for this. Stuff I don't care about so much goes in the truck.

thethePete

Explorer
When we opt for a hotel, we just unpack and bring it in the room. We would be unpacking for the night if we camped, so it's no different in my eyes.

Unless you hard-case everything and lock it in with a cable or chain, or get a tonneau, there isn't really any ideal way to truly secure it in the back of an open truck.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
What do you want to invest and/or how important is the stuff you're concerned about? Short version is if it's in your vehicle it isn't secure, period. The long version is you don't have to make it easy. If it were me and I was that concerned I'd look into something like a Knaack truck box. Lockable, steel, bolt down-able, and short of a torch or cut off wheel and time, you're not getting in without the keys. I've had one going on 25 yrs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design