How many front receivers is too many? ;-)

matt s

Explorer
I now have 3 :sombrero:. Weird I know. The first one is a hidden hitch behind my license plate. I was never comfortable putting a large load like a winch or recovery strap on it. I know they are strong and people do it all the time, I was just concerned about side loading it and tweaking the frame. Still it good to know it's there and I have used it now and then when needed.

For instance.
879888674_fFf6S-L-1.jpg

The new two are little under 2 feet apart and just under the bumper (effect on departure angle is negligible). I welded a frame for them that ties them to the truck frame in four mounting points, both spreading the load and bracing up the truck frame. It's simple yet pretty overbuilt. The real reason for the project is my snow plow. I am in process of building a system for quick release of the entire setup leaving nothing but the two receivers, hence the overbuilding of the frame. With the truck side of things ready I will start on the plow frame tomorrow.

The bonus is I now have two great recovery points on the front of my truck, something it was lacking. I will put receiver shackles in them when the plow is not on. Handy to have ready, and it will look better than having two empty holes under the bumper.

Further bonus: It is like a pandoras box of things I can stick up there. Winch, cargo rack, plow, slide in grill guard (with built in winch???), step, whiffle ball bat, fridge, RTT... you get the idea. :)

Not that it's all that exciting but I'll try and get some pics of the new ones and frame tomorrow.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I wanna see the whiffle ball bat.

I also have always loved your rig...

x2 on the whiffle ball bat. :sombrero:

And yea -- the rig is kinda cool too. Sometimes I miss my '72 Jimmy (even though it was that horrible chicken-******* yellow that GM seemed to love so much . . . )

cruisertoy

Explorer
I have two receivers built into the front bumper of my 80 series. I've got the same on my 40 series. The pin goes through the bumper vertically or behind the bumper horizontally. I mainly use them for strap points. You can put the strap loop into the receiver and pin through it. I've strapped and been strapped pretty hard and never had a problem.

matt s

Explorer
Oh man, didn't think of that. I should have drilled out for vertical pin options as well. Oh well, no way I am going to get decent drilling now that it's welded on.

ben2go

Adventurer
When I was a mechanic,I worked on a dual purpose Jeep CJ7 that had 3 receivers front and rear.The center ones were for snatching and a small winch.The outer one were for removable bumpers/brush guards.His set up was to keep his rig legal for DD and he chanced when going out wheeling.Plus,I am sure removing all that weight help with mpgs while DD'ing.

matt s

Explorer
When I was a mechanic,I worked on a dual purpose Jeep CJ7 that had 3 receivers front and rear.The center ones were for snatching and a small winch.The outer one were for removable bumpers/brush guards.His set up was to keep his rig legal for DD and he chanced when going out wheeling.Plus,I am sure removing all that weight help with mpgs while DD'ing.

That is right along my line of thinking. I really like being able to return to stock for daily driving.

Sorry no pics today. I did however get the snow plow mount done and the pump/frame assembly are hanging on the truck now. I need to pick up some electrical stuff to finish the job tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1