Hybrid or Gas for full-time camper? MPG guesses?

LionZoo

Observer
So I think Toyota is sandbagging the payload numbers to some degree on the door stickers. I am guessing they might be taking the highest possible weight for a given configuration(cab/bed/drive) and assigning it to all trucks of that config.

For example, Andre at TFLTruck bought that Limited Crew max short bed 4x4 and his door sticker is exactly 1400 lbs just like the manual above. You can imagine an SR or SR5 of that same configuration is likely several hundred lbs lighter.

That sounds possible and definitely lawyer approved.

tacomabill

This is how it usually works (Cliff's Notes version):
- A products team gives engineering a bunch of specs including cost to manufacture and payload.
- Engineering comes back with a number of options.
- Marketing, accounting, engineering, and legal get into big fight; marketing wants the biggest payload, accounting wants the most profit, engineering wants the most features, legal wants the biggest safety factor. Blood flows ankle deep. Management steps in and makes the decision.
- Vehicles GVWR/GVAR/GVCR reflects that decision.

The GVWR et.al. is usually determined by the weak link in the vehicle (frame, axle, brakes, steering components, etc.) under some test regimen. We are not told what the safety factor, weak components, or test conditions are. We are just given a number.
If you got $87 to burn you can buy a document that maybe explains it:
Performance Requirements for Determining Tow-Vehicle Gross Combination Weight Rating and Trailer Weight Rating J2807_201602 This document establishes minimum performance criteria at GCWR and calculation methodology to determine tow-vehicle TWR for passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles and trucks. This includes all vehicles up to 14000 lb GVWR.

skrypj

That sounds possible and definitely lawyer approved.

If it were me, and I was buying a Tundra, I'd drive it to a nearest Cat-Scale. I bet most would be pleasantly surprised that they get more payload than they think.

At the end of the day, its the GVWR that matters, not the payload sticker.

tacollie

Glamper
Hmmm... really? Payload on the hybrid is about 1,650. The gas version is more. My aluminum flat bed shouldn't be much different from the stock bed. So we're talking the weight of a composite camper - should be around 800-900lbs for the shell model I'm getting. Add in 200lbs of water, 200lbs for electrical, 200lbs of build-out, and 200lbs of other stuff (using combo of 8020 when possible, and 1/2" ply for the build out). that puts me right at about 1,700 lbs. So yes, I'll be over when fully loaded, with both my wife and myself in there. But probably no more than 15% over.
Does that weight include bumpers, winch, and 35s? For the record I'm not a GVWR is law guy. I modified my vehicles and try to be it around axle ratings which usually puts you way GVWR. I would only consider the hybrid for the power and not MPGs. If you want MPGs with a camper and big tires get a RAM 2500 with a Cummins. It'll get better MPGs and carry the weight better than the Tundra.

You'll be an early adopter with a camper on a Tundra. You will have to run airbags on the rear end and will probably end up swapping coils several times trying to make the rear work right. Nothing wrong with that as long as you know that's where you stand. I'm not and that's why I bought an 11 year old Tundra for our camper and then an F250 with nearly 10 year old technology.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
For a full time camper and be looking at ram 2500/3500 or ford 250/350.

Like everyone is saying the tundra will be over payload and get crap mpg.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
For a full time camper and be looking at ram 2500/3500 or ford 250/350.

Like everyone is saying the tundra will be over payload and get crap mpg.
Stopping will be very noticeably long lol.
Lots of former Tacoma guys finally moved to big boy trucks after realizing just how bad their ability to stop was. That and how crappy their mileage was with no power. At some point you learn there is a very good reason there are heavier larger trucks built and sold. They actually do stuff better than over loaded smaller trucks lol.

PDX_Jay

Thanks everyone, for all the helpful comments. Don't think I really got my answer (but then again, hybrid full-size trucks are still a pretty new thing, so wasn't sure what info I'd get). Yes, realize a Ram 2500/3500 or Ford 250/350 is probably the more common choice for what I'm doing. Thanks again for the comments!

PDX_Jay

Stopping will be very noticeably long lol.
Lots of former Tacoma guys finally moved to big boy trucks after realizing just how bad their ability to stop was. That and how crappy their mileage was with no power. At some point you learn there is a very good reason there are heavier larger trucks built and sold. They actually do stuff better than over loaded smaller trucks lol.

Yes, but isn't it a little weird to compare this to a Tacoma? Or even a 1st gen Tundra?

1st gen tundra - 6.6k lbs GVWR / 271HP, 313 lb-ft torque /
2022 Tacoma - 5.6k lbs GVWR / 278HP, 265 lb-ft torque / disc front 10.8" - drum rear 10"
3rd gen Tundra - 7.2k lbs GVWR / 389HP, 479 lb-ft torque / disc brakes 13.9" front, 13.6" rear
3rd gen hybrid Tundra - 7.6k lbs GVWR 437HP / 583 lb-ft torque / disc brakes 13.9" front, 13.6" rear

So compared to a Tacoma, the new Tundras are about 29-35% heavier, have 40-57% more HP, 80-120% more torque, and have larger brakes obviously. Although of course, a heavy duty truck would be better than a half ton, the Tundra will be significantly better than a Tacoma. Honestly, I think on the power department, I'll be fine with a Tundra. Even with the non-hybrid Tundra, I have the same power as a 6.2L F250, and the hybrid has more power than the 7.3L v8... so should be plenty, even if it's not approaching the heavy duty diesel territory. But honestly, I'm not really interested in a modern diesel, with the added headaches. Still, although the new Tundra is not a 1 ton pickup by any stretch of the imagination, it's a significant step up from a Tacoma.

Seems to me that it's mostly a payload question, and I should be pretty close to okay, although as someone mentioned, I'll probably be swapping in and out some rear coils, or air bags, tweaking suspension until I get it right.

Mostly, this post was just to see if, from a purely financial standpoint, a hybrid made any sense...it's at least an interesting thing to think about, and probably won't have the answer for a few more years, until there is more to compare to. I'll probably just end up picking one or the other, and seeing how it goes for a few years. If in fact, it really is terrible, I can always sell the truck and find something better.

skrypj

The other thing that sucks about the Tundra 3g is the axle ratios. Its 3.31's. If you start throwing 35's and a camper on it I bet it doesnt see much of 9th or 10th gear. My F150 Ecoboost with 3.73's and the 6 speed trans, which is shorter ratios than the 10 speed, shifts a bit more on 35's without a camper on the back. If I was loaded to 8000 lbs all the time and had the aero drag of a camper I don't think it would wanna use 6th much at all.

And to answer your original question, I think you will find that the Hybrid system is not going to work nearly as well with all the crap you have saddled on the truck. I have seen a couple of guys run 35's and mods on Powerboosts and they said the 35's bascially made it so that the truck never enters electric only mode anymore. And the Powerboost has 3.73's and one of the guys had regeared to 4.10's. And the powerboost is a lighter truck to begin with by about 500 lbs. I think you will find that the Hybrid, loaded up to 8000 lbs, and trying to turn 35's, is going to make little use of the electric motor. I'd think you would need to regear at a minimum and not sure how would affect the electric drive porgramming.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yes, but isn't it a little weird to compare this to a Tacoma? Or even a 1st gen Tundra?

1st gen tundra - 6.6k lbs GVWR / 271HP, 313 lb-ft torque /
2022 Tacoma - 5.6k lbs GVWR / 278HP, 265 lb-ft torque / disc front 10.8" - drum rear 10"
3rd gen Tundra - 7.2k lbs GVWR / 389HP, 479 lb-ft torque / disc brakes 13.9" front, 13.6" rear
3rd gen hybrid Tundra - 7.6k lbs GVWR 437HP / 583 lb-ft torque / disc brakes 13.9" front, 13.6" rear

So compared to a Tacoma, the new Tundras are about 29-35% heavier, have 40-57% more HP, 80-120% more torque, and have larger brakes obviously. Although of course, a heavy duty truck would be better than a half ton, the Tundra will be significantly better than a Tacoma. Honestly, I think on the power department, I'll be fine with a Tundra. Even with the non-hybrid Tundra, I have the same power as a 6.2L F250, and the hybrid has more power than the 7.3L v8... so should be plenty, even if it's not approaching the heavy duty diesel territory. But honestly, I'm not really interested in a modern diesel, with the added headaches. Still, although the new Tundra is not a 1 ton pickup by any stretch of the imagination, it's a significant step up from a Tacoma.

Seems to me that it's mostly a payload question, and I should be pretty close to okay, although as someone mentioned, I'll probably be swapping in and out some rear coils, or air bags, tweaking suspension until I get it right.

Mostly, this post was just to see if, from a purely financial standpoint, a hybrid made any sense...it's at least an interesting thing to think about, and probably won't have the answer for a few more years, until there is more to compare to. I'll probably just end up picking one or the other, and seeing how it goes for a few years. If in fact, it really is terrible, I can always sell the truck and find something better.
I can’t do modern diesel due to my short local kid hauling trips. 12months and a new diesel would be junk. Only diesel I can have is my 1986 11hp Kubota in my sailboat lol.
The 3.31 rear end is a big negative on the Tundra. Especially if you have bigger tire dreams.
Even my stock Expedition heavy tow pack 9200lb rated is a 3.73. With the 285’s it runs at 75mph under 2300 rpm with the 10spd. I couldn’t imagine being heavy packed with a 3.31 especially going bigger tires.
Ford uses the 3.31 in the light 2whl 4hi AWD only Expedition basically just a heavy mini van that can tow up to 6000lbs.
These new bi turbo 3.5’s rarely run over 2800-3000rpm. They are very diesel like generating loads of torque at low rpm. Unlike my old Toyota V8 that would run 3000-5000rpm lots these nee 3.5’s with 10 speeds are totally different beast’s.
Even with the 3.73 in sport mode and thinking your a race car driver I don’t think the Expedition will hit over 4500-4800rpm and by the time you look your easily over 100mph?

bkg

Explorer
I can’t do modern diesel due to my short local kid hauling trips. 12months and a new diesel would be junk. Only diesel I can have is my 1986 11hp Kubota in my sailboat lol.

why would a diesel be junk in 12 months? just curious.

skrypj

why would a diesel be junk in 12 months? just curious.

It doesnt get hot enough to burn off dilluted fuel, moisture and other crude in the oil probably. If I had to take a guess I think it was one of the reasons so many people had issues with 1st gen ecoboost timing chains. In my experience, all the people who worked their trucks hard on a regular basis and got them hot have not had issues.

Just change the oil more. And I have heard that the 3.0 Duramax gets hot really fast since its an aluminum block and has all sorts of cooling system wizardry to redirect coolant where its needed.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
The Tundra is a terrible choice for your proposed build both gas and hybrid. Following along on the 3rd gen tundra forums they are also getting really poor gas mileage for supposedly being so much more efficient. With a camper I bet you would pull low to mid teens max.

Reactions: bkg

skrypj

The Tundra is a terrible choice for your proposed build both gas and hybrid. Following along on the 3rd gen tundra forums they are also getting really poor gas mileage for supposedly being so much more efficient. With a camper I bet you would pull low to mid teens max.

I agree. I dont think a 7.3L or other HD V8 would be much more inefficient once the camper and 35’s are involved. And you can get decent gearing from the factory. A 7.3L with 4.30’s would be a stump puller even with 35’s.

Also, a Crewmax 6.5’ bed tundra is basically the same size as a GM or Ford HD crew cab. Its actually longer than a Ram 2500 crew. A Superduty has a 159.8” WB and 250” total length while a tundra is 157.7”/245.6”

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy