Impending Legislation that could affect You (Oregon especially)

Kelster

First let me say I'm sorry if this is the wrong location to post this but the forum layout doesn't really leave a good place to post a topic like this.

I've been a quiet lurker here for a while.. Don't really have the money to get involved but I see a lot of amazing mods on ExPo :drool:

There's a piece of legislation being quietly pushed through in Oregon that could severely affect Anyone who owns a car. This legislation needs to be stopped.. I heard of it first today and I think it's going to a vote tomorrow :(

This legislation is only a first step towards heavy regulation of automotive purchases, and if it survives the process in Oregon, it could be used as a model in any other state in the Union.

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

Oregon Introduces Bill to Prohibit Sale of Aftermarket Parts

At the request of Governor Theodore Kulongoski, the Oregon Speaker of the House has introduced legislation (H.B. 2186) to prohibit the sale and distribution of aftermarket motor vehicle parts if alternatives are available that “decrease greenhouse gas emissions from motor vehicles.” The bill is primarily focused on aftermarket tires and would authorize the Environmental Quality Commission to implement enforcement regulations, likely based on a rolling resistance calculation.
We Urge You to Contact Oregon Speaker of the House Dave Hunt and Members of the Environment and Water Committee (Contact Information Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to H.B. 2186

H.B. 2186 would regulate vehicle fuel economy, an authority reserved to the federal government.
H.B. 2186 could ban tires that may have improved performance, handling or appearance features, based solely on a rolling resistance rating. In addition, this program could easily distract consumers from focusing on more important safety issues such as tire inflation and overloading of vehicles.
H.B. 2186 would force consumers to purchase only original equipment manufacturer (OEM) tires because the program essentially exempts OEM-selected tires and unfairly implies that they are superior to aftermarket products.
H.B. 2186 could prohibit aftermarket parts designed to either personalize or optimize specific vehicle performance attributes including handling, towing, suspension, fuel economy, etc.
H.B. 2186 provides broad authority to government regulators and could limit a range of aftermarket parts currently available to consumers based on the subjective determination of government regulators.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact Oregon Speaker Dave Hunt and the House Environment and Water Committee immediately to urge his opposition to H.B. 2186.
Oregon House Speaker Dave Hunt
Phone: 503/986-1440
Email: rep.davehunt@state.or.us
Oregon House Environment and Water Committee
Representative Ben Cannon – Chair
Phone: 503/986-1446
Email: rep.bencannon@state.or.us
Representative Jules Bailey
Phone: 503/986-1442
Email: rep.juleskopelbailey@state.or.us
Representative Phil Barnhart
Phone: 503/986-1411
Email: rep.philbarnhart@state.or.us
Representative Cliff Bentz
Phone: 503/986-1460
Email: rep.cliffbentz@state.or.us
Representative Deborah Boone
Phone: 503/986-1432
Email: rep.deborahboone@state.or.us
Representative Vic Gilliam
Phone: 503/986-1418
Email: rep.vicgilliam@state.or.us
Representative Bob Jenson
Phone: 503/986-1458
Email: rep.bobjenson@state.or.us
Representative Jefferson Smith
Phone: 503/986-1447
Email: rep.jeffersonsmith@state.or.us

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The new Federal government is giving California the nod (and wink) to pursue their own greenhouse gas environmental regs. Oregon may have been encouraged by that and is also likely to also get a free pass from the Feds..

The voters of Oregon will have to beat this one. People outside the state can send money to help the campaign.

PS: This is the same group of political critters that wants to install GPS on every car and implement a tax for mileage driven on Oregon roads.

Applejack

Explorer
While we Oregonians are no stranger to "Wacko" style politics, this is getting way out of hand. This bill will probably fail (this time), but it is alarming that this kind of legislation is brought to the table at all, especially during our current economic situation. It just goes to show what kind of nuts we elect here in Oregon.
Land of the Free? Yeah right.

BlueHZT60

Adventurer
The bill has to fail, period. There is no way it could pass. The "public" road requirements of a tire (or vehicle) are way way too variable in Oregon to even remotely suggest after market engineering is not feasible. Plus what would Les Schwab do - other than roll over in his grave?

That's an inbred urban pipe dream, and yes I will loudly voice my opinion. Without after market vehicle modifications I could not do my business safely or efficiently. I'll leave it with a question. How do these people get elected? Bob

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I crossed this to a PNW brand/model specific email list asking if any of them knew anything about it. Few did. A couple got on the horn and starting emailing & calling their reps to tell them to vote no on it. The fwd'd replies back indicated that most of the reps were already going to vote no anyway.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Well, Oregon can now claim to be like California when exporting lame ideas. The Congress critters in Washington DC are talking about this same invasive tracking & taxation.

Last edited by a moderator:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Now wouldn't the installation of a tracking GPS be an aftermarket modification requiring the purchase of an aftermarket part?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Now wouldn't the installation of a tracking GPS be an aftermarket modification requiring the purchase of an aftermarket part?

Imagine going in for your car license renewal and as part of the process they have you bring your car to a state "certified" station that epoxies a tracking module to your windshield. The module has a GPS and a transponder that can be read by any number of fixed or mobile state run installations similar to devices used on toll roads (FastTrack in California).

jcbrandon

Explorer
According to the Oregon State Legislature website, this bill has had its first reading and two public hearings.

Here is the text of a message I sent to the Oregon legislators listed in the original post:

Oregon Legislators-

I am opposed to Oregon House Bill 2186.

House Bill 2186 would specifically enable the Environmental Quality Commission to enact rules prohibiting the sale of aftermarket automotive parts -- including tires -- that do not reduce greenhouse gas emissions from motor vehicles.

If enacted, this legislation would limit Oregon motorists to purchasing only those auto parts provided by the original equipment manufacturer unless a replacement part could be proven to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. This will reduce choice and increase costs for the majority of Oregon motorists.

It will also make Oregon roads less safe.

The only interface between a motor vehicle and the road is the surface of the tire in the form of a small contact patch approximately the size of your hand. Tire manufacturers work to continually improve tire performance and safety by improving the grip of the tire to the road surface at these small contact patches. A very slight redesign can significantly improve performance, particularly wet-road cornering and braking performance.

Under HB 2186, these significant improvements in performance and safety would not be available to Oregon motorists because they invariably result in increased friction between the tire and road surface. Increased friction does not reduce greenhouse gasses. It could be shown to increase greenhouse gasses. Either way, this improvement in safety and performance would not be allowed under HB 2186 because these improved tires are not the same tires originally sold with the car and are not proven to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Please work to defeat HB 2186.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
J would you mind if I copied your letter (for it's excellent style, spelling & grammar) and then added a paragraph about things like hand controls, aux lighting, side steps to ease entry and a few other examples of aftermarket parts that help the disabled but might slightly increase greenhouse gases?

thanks for posting this up.

Would you mind if others directly copied your letter?

tdesanto

Expedition Leader

I would also argue that this could be interpreted as a violation of our fourth amendment rights under the US constitution.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
According to the Oregon State Legislature website, this bill has had its first reading and two public hearings.

Here is the text of a message I sent to the Oregon legislators listed in the original post:

Oregon Legislators-

I am opposed to Oregon House Bill 2186.

House Bill 2186 would specifically enable the Environmental Quality Commission to enact rules prohibiting the sale of aftermarket automotive parts -- including tires -- that do not reduce greenhouse gas emissions from motor vehicles.

If enacted, this legislation would limit Oregon motorists to purchasing only those auto parts provided by the original equipment manufacturer unless a replacement part could be proven to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. This will reduce choice and increase costs for the majority of Oregon motorists.

It will also make Oregon roads less safe.

Then only interface between a motor vehicle and the road is the surface of the tire in the form of a small contact patch approximately the size of your hand. Tire manufacturers work to continually improve tire performance and safety by improving the grip of the tire to the road surface at these small contact patches. A very slight redesign can significantly improve performance, particularly wet-road cornering and braking performance.

Under HB 2186, these significant improvements in performance and safety would not be available to Oregon motorists because they invariably result in increased friction between the tire and road surface. Increased friction does not reduce greenhouse gasses. It could be shown to increase greenhouse gasses. Either way, this improvement in safety and performance would not be allowed under HB 2186 because these improved tires are not the same tires originally sold with the car and are not proven to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Please work to defeat HB 2186.

So, J, as a non-resident of Oregon (well both you and I really) I am presuming that you left that information out of your note on purpose.

I'm asking, because I have always assumed (wrongly I suppose) that there was little I could do to influence the decision-making process on a bill in another state. I always assumed that I had no voice, since I could never vote for or against the elected officials in another state.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1