INEOS Grenadier

SkiWill

I’m seeing a payload of 1700 on Jeeps website for quite a few trims, but with poor towing (4000). There are a few trims with 6000 lbs but that appears to be the upper limit, so you’re right there. I thought it towed a bit more.

Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max tow package is 7,700 lbs towing and 1710 lbs payload. Jeep Gladiator Hauling Specs

Buy the Jeep, buy aftermarket lockers, keep the $50,000 in your pocket for a camper and gas money to go do fun stuff.

The Quartermaster will be a six figure truck in the US. There's no way it's cheaper than the Grenadier wagon, plus will be subject to the 25% chicken tax unlike the wagon.

Zimm said it best. While the truck looks attractive, was a nice thought, and is wonderfully anachronistic, if staying within North America, it makes no sense.

Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max tow package is 7,700 lbs towing and 1710 lbs payload. Jeep Gladiator Hauling Specs

Buy the Jeep, buy aftermarket lockers, keep the $50,000 in your pocket for a camper and gas money to go do fun stuff.

The Quartermaster will be a six figure truck in the US. There's no way it's cheaper than the Grenadier wagon, plus will be subject to the 25% chicken tax unlike the wagon.

Zimm said it best. While the truck looks attractive, was a nice thought, and is wonderfully anachronistic, if staying within North America, it makes no sense.
I agree that there are better ways to spend your money than on the Quartermaster, and the Gladiator is - in many ways - a more sensible option. I'm probably in the minority, but I wish the Gladiator could be bought with a fixed roof.

I read on a different forum that Ineos is looking into setting up a factory in Mexico to produce the Quartermaster for the Western Hemisphere. If this is true, the Quartermaster would not be subject to the chicken tax. It may only be marginally relevant, but Ineos already has a chemical-production facility in Mexico - so this wouldn't be their first rodeo there.

Sorry, I don't have a reference for this rumor, and maybe its just a rumor. But if someone reading this really cares, they can look into it for themselves :)

SkiWill

I agree that there are better ways to spend your money than on the Quartermaster, and the Gladiator is - in many ways - a more sensible option. I'm probably in the minority, but I wish the Gladiator could be bought with a fixed roof.

I read on a different forum that Ineos is looking into setting up a factory in Mexico to produce the Quartermaster for the Western Hemisphere. If this is true, the Quartermaster would not be subject to the chicken tax. It may only be marginally relevant, but Ineos already has a chemical-production facility in Mexico - so this wouldn't be their first rodeo there.

Sorry, I don't have a reference for this rumor, and maybe its just a rumor. But if someone reading this really cares, they can look into it for themselves :)

That'd be great if they did set up NAFTA production and it would be the only way to make the truck viable. I also agree, I'd be happy with fixed roof Gladiator or Wrangler for that matter. Getting the roll bar out of the interior volume for those of us with 6' foot plus family members would be great.

It's difficult for me to see them setting up an assembly plant in Mexico unless then can buy one like they did in Hambach, but I welcome any and all high payload capacity overland capable entries into the market, but prefer those that are not only for the top 5% of income earners. Even with an assembly plant in Mexico, I have trouble seeing how they get the price down to be competitive with a Ranger or Gladiator, and by competitive, I'd even consider within $10,000 competitive because I'm feeling charitable.

utherjorge

Observer
Anything is possible with enough money. Lord knows that Ineos has enough money. I continue to get the vibe that the whole Ineos SUV thing is like legal money laundering. Back when I was in college, there was a local grocery store chain that had one, exceptionally crappy, location in a very bad neighborhood. It never made money, it was in bad shape, and so on. It was always claimed that it was there to lose money to offset profits, or some such. So, almost like a place to lower income for tax purposes. After 30 years of doing my own taxes, I can kinda see that.

So, then, if this SUV thing is there to sink money in to avoid paying tax, or for some other offset reason in Europe, the question becomes "how much money are they willing to burn"? There is zero chance that this family of rigs is commercially successful in the US. Add the chicken tax, and then where are you?

It would make a lot more sense to source knock-down kits and assemble them in Mexico...but at that point, why not just do that in the US? I'm certain you can find a facility in America that's got skilled labor floating around.

This was an interesting idea, with lots of cool things about it, and so it's essentially an overlanding version of a super car: exclusivity is a part of what you're buying. But all of the info this week with the new Toyota LC is a crippling blow for this rig, from design to cost. When there's a chance you could buy two new LCs for the cost of a Gren...that'll do, pig. That'll do.

BuckinghamBuilt

Yikes, for some reason I completely forgot that this still exists and would definitely be a deal breaker for me.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Anything is possible with enough money. Lord knows that Ineos has enough money. I continue to get the vibe that the whole Ineos SUV thing is like legal money laundering. Back when I was in college, there was a local grocery store chain that had one, exceptionally crappy, location in a very bad neighborhood. It never made money, it was in bad shape, and so on. It was always claimed that it was there to lose money to offset profits, or some such. So, almost like a place to lower income for tax purposes. After 30 years of doing my own taxes, I can kinda see that.

So, then, if this SUV thing is there to sink money in to avoid paying tax, or for some other offset reason in Europe, the question becomes "how much money are they willing to burn"? There is zero chance that this family of rigs is commercially successful in the US. Add the chicken tax, and then where are you?

It would make a lot more sense to source knock-down kits and assemble them in Mexico...but at that point, why not just do that in the US? I'm certain you can find a facility in America that's got skilled labor floating around.

This was an interesting idea, with lots of cool things about it, and so it's essentially an overlanding version of a super car: exclusivity is a part of what you're buying. But all of the info this week with the new Toyota LC is a crippling blow for this rig, from design to cost. When there's a chance you could buy two new LCs for the cost of a Gren...that'll do, pig. That'll do.
They need to make a quartermaster version of the new landcruiser… I’d be a buyer for that.

utherjorge

Observer
They need to make a quartermaster version of the new landcruiser… I’d be a buyer for that.
The only possible way that I could imagine you lump the 4runner in here. Take the LC, render with two doors (sure, 4 also, I know) merge with the recent 4runner renders zipping around, and make the rear top removable. Just like gen 1.

But we digress from the Gren thread.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The only possible way that I could imagine you lump the 4runner in here. Take the LC, render with two doors (sure, 4 also, I know) merge with the recent 4runner renders zipping around, and make the rear top removable. Just like gen 1.

But we digress from the Gren thread.
But then it wouldn’t be a landcruiser..😆😜

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
So let me get this straight....15mpg is what I am seeing for FE. This thing is screaming for a diesel.

A small diesel with an 8 speed transmission and you would be in the mid 20's easily....

nickw

Adventurer
Any announcement of support network yet? I saw the article on the exp landing page, they are being delivered in the US....are folks going to take delivery without any way to get them worked on?

luckyjoe

Adventurer
So let me get this straight....15mpg is what I am seeing for FE. This thing is screaming for a diesel.

A small diesel with an 8 speed transmission and you would be in the mid 20's easily....
That MPG is about what I achieved driving my '96 Discovery over 16 years. It's pretty much a non-issue. A modern diesel on the other hand, no way I would touch one.

nickw

Adventurer
I believe they are announcing the US Partners later this week. I imagine it will be BMW.
What about the rest of the drivetrain? Presumably BMW is not going to be outfitted to work on axles, transfer case, steering, brakes or any body/frame related stuff?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal