Installed Larger Rooftop Tent and now the lid is too heavy to open...help?

BrettDez

Overland Explorer
Hey guys, looking for some input on how to make this lid easier to lift.
-
My wife cannot open the lid at all when shut with the weight of the larger Rooftop Tent installed. I can lift it, but it even takes quite a bit of effort from me to open it as well.
-
Once it is open about 4" up, it becomes very easy to move. I am assuming this is because the strut starts assisting at that range. I was thinking of relocating the strut mount so the lid is in that "assisting range" even when shut. However, I worry that the weight may not assist with keeping the lid shut on bumpy trails as much. Any thoughts about this? I would think relocating the strut should work, but not sure about it. It could backfire and cause the lid to bounce more on the trail putting stress on the latches because the weight isn't keeping it shut as well?
-
On the M101CDNs there is a reinforcement bar going horizontal across the back that I can probably use as a mounting point, not sure about the front strut though.
-
In Summary the questions I am hoping for help on...
-
1. Will relocating the struts as pictured cause the lid to be easier to open and shut?
-
2. Will relocating the struts cause the lid to be too easy to open and shut and then bounce on the trail potentially putting stress on the latches?
-
3. The rear has a reinforcement bar lower on the tub I can use as a mount point, this does not exist on the front of the tub. Would there be too much stress on the hinges if I only relocated one of the struts instead of both at matching angles?
-
Picture of relocation plan:
-
1969418_585944576995_3446477777827752139_n.jpg

Have you not set the lifts inside the body and lid. That's where mine are. You may just need stronger lifts depending on the weight. McMaster Carr has the best all around. The picture you posted also seems like it should be angled opposite of how it is now. My 3 cents

BrettDez

Overland Explorer
Don't want them on the inside as they will interfere with cargo.
The weight rating of the struts is more than adequate. Which is why opened only slightly(4") and it becomes very easy as the angle increases. I think that the angle while closed is too horizontal and the strut doesn't provide any assistance to open. I believe that this is the answer but really want to see if anyone else has similar experience before I start doing modifications to the tub.

Last edited:

BrettDez

Overland Explorer
I see what you are saying about the direction and angle. When I look at an Adventure Trailers Chaser, they have a different angle.
I guess the real question is for those who have an AT Chaser. Is the lid easy to open for your wife with the strut installed the way they do? I can modify mine to match the angle and mounting locations they use.
Anyone chime in about the ease of an AT trailer lid opening?
Not my trailer, but this shows the AT trailer lid struts:
IMG_9727.JPG

129_0907_06_z%2Badventure_chaser_camping_trailer%2Bcargo_box.jpg

BrettDez

Overland Explorer
This would be my plan of modification for both the front and rear gas struts. However, Adventure Trailers has their lid-strut mount slightly offcenter. I was planning on going dead center. Any ideas on positives/negatives on this? Don't want to drill more than once, haha!
I am really hoping for some feedback on the AT chaser lid though, as I need this to be easy for the wife to open. Thanks guys!!
My new plan after 100acrehumpalump's point:
10176090_585988958055_4026405571648031239_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp