Interesting Snow Track System

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
That is kind of interesting, I don't get how it stays connected to the vehicle though. It looks like it clamps to the sidewalls of the tires but that seems a little chinsy, but in the video I could also see some little posts or something that went up to the center of the wheel, as well as some chains that go back to the frame.

The only problem I can see for sure is the ski things. I've seen guys on regular snowmobiles going nice and fast only to have their ski get hung up on a tree branch below the surface of the snow. I even know a guy who bent a ski outwards when he ran into a steel gate on a forest road that was barely covered by snow.

Mattracks are getting popular in my area, lots of guys are getting them for their ATVs but I haven't seen a truck with them yet. Me though, I'd take an Argo 8x8 with extra wide tracks any day. And then monkeys will fly out of my butt.

Airmonger

Adventurer
It looks as if there is a hub that is bolted over the wheel studs. Looks pretty cool, if it held up that well to a full size truck imagine what it would do with a Tacoma or a Subaru WRX for that matter.

kylefav21

yeah too bad the video doesn't really show how they connect to the vehicle, from the video they seem like they are still in a prototype stage.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
That looks pretty trick. Thanks for posting that.

So this was posted on the 12th of April... How soon until there are Chi-Com knock offs for sale?

Agreed that I'd like to see how they attach. Only out of curiosity though. No measurable snow here on the outskirts of Mordor.

Ponyracer

Adventurer
Those are interesting, it looks like they dont bolt to the vehicle at all. The rollers "clamp" onto the tires and are held on by the weight of the truckand the resistance on the sidewalls. Pause the vid near the beginning where the truck is driving into the "snow shoes".

trailrunner

Observer
It would be interesting to see how they handle a ditch crossing, that its where I see this concept running into trouble.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
It would be interesting to see how they handle a ditch crossing, that its where I see this concept running into trouble.

And breakover angles too. Snowmobiling around here you get some weird drifts that even a Wrangler with tracks like this would get hung up on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk