Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Looks like an awesome trip!!! Great pics. I put a little "Arizona pin striping" on my truck last time out.

Yeah, I have more than a "little" pinstriping. I plann on having it buffed out in the next month or two since there probably won't be too many trips during winter.

Man I love it up there, I've got to make time to get back there next year!

We do as well and yes you do.

Sweet pictures, Jack! The truck is looking awesome and really making me want to keep pushing forward on my build.

I was looking back at the progression of the truck, and noticed from the side profile the center of the truck looks odd...

Almost as if it bows up in the middle. Could just be the angle of the picture, though.

Thanks for the kudos, we are really enjoying it and think it is fitting our needs very well. I am actually getting close to being done with the "big" mods. Everything from now on is more "tuning."

Must be the angle of that picture, all of the body lines are perfectly aligned.

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Measure the top and bottom of the cab where the bed meets the cab. Could be settling of the cab mounts, I am getting read to replace mine due to "beaming" slight viberation from 45 to 55... Cant really feel it too much, but you can see the passenger seat moving back and forth. I am going to use my warranty to pay for it otherwise I might just live with it... here is the other thing I am looking at that you might like.

Sulastic Rubber shackles

http://www.alligatorperformance.com/sulastic-rubber-shackle-0108-duramax-p-3054.html

Check this out... info on cab mount replacement.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/exterior/32989-frame-beaming-gm-campain-pit3009j.html

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Measure the top and bottom of the cab where the bed meets the cab. Could be settling of the cab mounts, I am getting read to replace mine due to "beaming" slight viberation from 45 to 55... Cant really feel it too much, but you can see the passenger seat moving back and forth. I am going to use my warranty to pay for it otherwise I might just live with it... here is the other thing I am looking at that you might like.

Sulastic Rubber shackles

http://www.alligatorperformance.com/sulastic-rubber-shackle-0108-duramax-p-3054.html

Check this out... info on cab mount replacement.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/exterior/32989-frame-beaming-gm-campain-pit3009j.html

Already did the upgraded cab mounts back in June 2011.

Great report! Looks like a ton of fun :bike_rider:

Thank you, it was. :sombrero:

Jack

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Jack,
Looks like you had a great time! I posted a pict of the Engel Fridge venting diagram on my build thread for ya. Looking forward to seeing what you do to that shell of yours!!
Cheers,
Paul

Ageless Stranger

Jack,

Pretty new to this forum, (Registered a while back, but haven't been active.) and ran across this thread after discovering the FWC Hawk in the show us your pop-up camper thread. Awesome build man. :ylsmoke: I have a TJ, which I've built up quite nicely, and as anything else, is a work in progress. I too went all out on the OBA and used a York. I bought Kilby's bracket kit, but I sourced my compressor elsewhere. It is amazing how powerful the York is.
I also enjoyed this thread because I intend to buy a 2500HD in the next year or so as a DD/tow rig for my Jeep. I really like the looks of the Hawk camper, and look forward to learning more about those, as that would work perfect for hauling with a trailer/Jeep.

Keep up the good work!

Josh

Ageless Stranger

Also, out of curiosity, what do FWC owners typically do about A/C? I live in a warm climate, and if I'm ever lucky enough to purchase an FWC, I would love to be able to use it when the temps are in the high 90s and the relative humidity is 75%+...

elee

Observer
Ah yes another NBS Silverado! That LBZ is a mean engine from the factory! People are going to bash on the Chevy's IFS, but Cognito (or equal parts) will do wonders on these trucks. My friend has a LB7 2500hd with Kryptonite Tie Rods and they look bullit proof, they have handled 1000 RWTQ 4WD lauches on pavement just fine.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Jack,

Pretty new to this forum, (Registered a while back, but haven't been active.) and ran across this thread after discovering the FWC Hawk in the show us your pop-up camper thread. Awesome build man. :ylsmoke: I have a TJ, which I've built up quite nicely, and as anything else, is a work in progress. I too went all out on the OBA and used a York. I bought Kilby's bracket kit, but I sourced my compressor elsewhere. It is amazing how powerful the York is.
I also enjoyed this thread because I intend to buy a 2500HD in the next year or so as a DD/tow rig for my Jeep. I really like the looks of the Hawk camper, and look forward to learning more about those, as that would work perfect for hauling with a trailer/Jeep.

Keep up the good work!

Josh

Also, out of curiosity, what do FWC owners typically do about A/C? I live in a warm climate, and if I'm ever lucky enough to purchase an FWC, I would love to be able to use it when the temps are in the high 90s and the relative humidity is 75%+...

Thank you for the compliments. The camper, truck and now Jeep have been awesome and we are really enjoying them all.

Most people replace the rear window with the A/C unit.

Ah yes another NBS Silverado! That LBZ is a mean engine from the factory! People are going to bash on the Chevy's IFS, but Cognito (or equal parts) will do wonders on these trucks. My friend has a LB7 2500hd with Kryptonite Tie Rods and they look bullit proof, they have handled 1000 RWTQ 4WD lauches on pavement just fine.

Just turned 100k miles on the truck. Heading to DV on Sunday for a week. I have the full Kryptonite system and it has been very solid. I love the LBZ, it is an amazing powerplant. My 7.3 was a great engine, but the Dmax is a whole 'nother animal.

Jack

Ageless Stranger

Thank you for the compliments. The camper, truck and now Jeep have been awesome and we are really enjoying them all.

Most people replace the rear window with the A/C unit.

Jack

I haven't seen your Jeep. Got a thread on it?

I didn't think of replacing the rear window. Doh! Many of the FWCs I see don't have a rear window. Guess you can make a hole if there isn't one, huh?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I haven't seen your Jeep. Got a thread on it?

I didn't think of replacing the rear window. Doh! Many of the FWCs I see don't have a rear window. Guess you can make a hole if there isn't one, huh?

Here is the link. I just got it, so I haven't done much else but drive it.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/88041-Jack-s-quot-new-quot-2006-LJ-Rubicon

Most every "pop-up" style camper puts the A/C unit in place of the small rear passenger side window. Not real common, but they are out there.

When it's hot, we head for the high country. It amazing what 8k+ feet in elevation will do for the temperature. :victory:

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
So the truck turned the big 100k miles and I thought besides the oil change, it was time for some TLC. I decided to follow the directions in this thread:
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/how-tos-diy-write-ups/83493-how-diy-injector-cleaning.html

I didn't check the balance rates on my injectors before, but I figured it couldn't hurt. Mine has the original injectors and even though it was running great, I thought it wise to give them every chance for a long and healthy life.

Here is the GM injector cleaner, I ordered mine from Amazon. I mixed the full bottle and slightly more than .5 gallon of diesel.

Looking down through my OBA manifold, you can just make out the fuel lines.

With the OBA manifold moved out of the way.

The fuel lines are not easily disconnected, but I was able to get it done fairly easily.

The new fuel lines are connected and the other end is placed in the container.

Most guys are finding that at idle, the D-max takes 1.5 hours to consume .5 gallon of diesel. I didn't want to wait that long, so I used my "idle up" feature and cranked it up to 1200rpm. As it got close to the end, I slowed it down to 800rpm. Even at that, it took almost an hour for it to go through the container. Pretty good information for future reference. I didn't let it run completely out, as it got close to the bottom, I shut it off. I reconnected the stock fuel lines and reprimed the system. I ran out of time to drive it around and not sure I could tell any difference while parking it, but I am getting ready to head to DV and southern NV for a week, so we will see.

Here is to another 100k miles. :friday:

Jack

Last edited:

Ageless Stranger

Here is the link. I just got it, so I haven't done much else but drive it.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/88041-Jack-s-quot-new-quot-2006-LJ-Rubicon

Most every "pop-up" style camper puts the A/C unit in place of the small rear passenger side window. Not real common, but they are out there.

When it's hot, we head for the high country. It amazing what 8k+ feet in elevation will do for the temperature. :victory:

Jack

Cool, I'll check out the Jeep thread. I live in West KY, at a whopping ~600' MSL. Up isn't really an option for me.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...I reconnected the stock fuel lines and reprimed the system. I ran out of time to drive it around and not sure I could tell any difference while parking it, but I am getting ready to head to DV and southern NV for a week, so we will see.

Here is to another 100k miles. :friday:

Jack

I'm sure that's a good injector cleaning you did, but I'm too lazy. I just pour some Red Line 85+ into the tank on occasion. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1