Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Will you install boots to protect the piston rods?

That is the plan on the rears. I picked up some Pro-Comp shock boots for the rear shocks. I will have to modify them, but I think they will work. It's either that or I will have to get really redneck and cut down some innertube and make a rock deflector for the rods.

Jack

contento

Observer
I would love to tell you that they are, but I haven't installed them yet. I really hope so. I did wrap the body of the shock and the remote reservoir with "3M Invisible Bra" material. I figured that especially on the rear, the rock/sand damage do a number on them. My thinking was that the bra material would slow that down and hopefully keep them from getting damaged as quickly. Here is what they look like:

I do still have the stock shocks on, 103k miles and counting.

Jack

Yeah well I can see why you haven't installed them, they're too good looking. Just hang them over your mantle and stare at them!

It's gonna be like going from a 91' Subaru to a 2013 Mercedes once you swap those shocks out...you sure you can be objective with whether or not the Kings are worth the premium price? :D

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Yeah well I can see why you haven't installed them, they're too good looking. Just hang them over your mantle and stare at them!

It's gonna be like going from a 91' Subaru to a 2013 Mercedes once you swap those shocks out...you sure you can be objective with whether or not the Kings are worth the premium price? :D

They are kind of sexy.

I hope they are worth it. I had to guess on the valving and hopefully we guessed right. My concern that is I might have gone too stiff on the valving on the rear. I tried to split the difference between being unloaded and loaded. I think they might be a little rough when it's unloaded. We will see.

Don't worry, if they aren't right, I will let everyone know.

Jack

tonkaman

Adventurer
I just read all 17 pages of your build, way to go man! As a fellow D-Max owner it really makes me happy to see these trucks actually taking some abuse. Too many mall crawlers in this crowd...
Any reason you didn't get cognito UCA's to improve ball joint design and provide for a dual shock up front?
If I made 1 suggestion it would certainly be EFI Live. The power delivery is smooth, unlimited tuning via laptop, and the fuel mileage is unbelievable!

Thanks for a great thread

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I just read all 17 pages of your build, way to go man! As a fellow D-Max owner it really makes me happy to see these trucks actually taking some abuse. Too many mall crawlers in this crowd...
Any reason you didn't get cognito UCA's to improve ball joint design and provide for a dual shock up front?
If I made 1 suggestion it would certainly be EFI Live. The power delivery is smooth, unlimited tuning via laptop, and the fuel mileage is unbelievable!

Thanks for a great thread

Thanks for taking the time to read it. I agree, all of the dmax boards are all about how fast I can make it and how well it will do at the truck pull. Not my thing and I think it is a very underrated platform for backcountry exploring.

Why did I not do Cognito's? The main reason is that my stock bj's are still good and as I was reading over the posts concerning the UCA's, I noticed there were a lot of "problems." It is great that you "get" this extra travel, but oh yeah, you need to add limiting straps so you don't over extend them... And then there is the run of bad bj's from Cognito, so I have to buy their arms, then buy new/better bj's and install those before I install the arms. Just seemed to be a bad fix for a problem that ends up being a different problem. I figure I have gotten 103k and counting on the stock ones, so if I have to replace them in the next 10-20k I can live with that. Just my experience/opinion.

I thought about EFI, but I have a PPE programmer and the only reason I bought that was to correct for the larger tires and try and improve the mileage. My programmer does both, so I am happy, not to mention I can read/clear codes as well. Works for me and the truck has more than enough power for my uses.

Jack

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Thank you, I have tried. My winter/spring is busy with work this year, so there will be a delay on any adventures.

Jack

Joeprunc

Observer
I am glad I found this thread....The wife and I just sold our Tacoma's (mine was a 04 with a lot of crap on it, and the wifes was a stock 99). We purchased a stock 07 Duramax crew cab 4x4 to replace the two trucks. I am in love with the additional space, power, and comfort, and the mpg is better than what I was getting with my truck (though gas is quite a bit more). Our skiing and dirt biking trips these past two months are sooo much nicer. I can't wait to go out camping this spring.

I've been itching to start modifying the truck to make it more off the pavement worthy....I appreciate all the things you posted and what you have done to your truck. I was getting really discouraged trying to do research on duramaxforum.com. I don't plan on rubbing paint and beating rocker panels with this truck.....yet, but we have a plan to get a pop top truck camper and getting off the beaten path. My wife prefers something a little more than the basics of a FWC, and I figured if I'm not planning on rock crawling so a used Northstar will probably be in my future.

Its actually funny how you replaced your seats with leather. We were looking for a truck with the cloth 40/20/40 front seats, and couldn't find a decent one anywhere....so we settled for leather. I don't mind them thus far, and the heated seats in the mornings are quite nice.

Also its kind of funny seeing a full sized Chevy diesel mixed it with a bunch of LCs.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Glad you are enjoying it. We tried to like our Tacoma, but it just was not that comfortable for me.

The problem with the cloth seats is no adjustable lumbar, started to hurt my back on long trips. The leather seats, which are adjustable in almost every way, are like sitting on loungers all day. I do think I am going to add seat covers though. I am not a fan of leather per se, but I do prefer these seats over the cloth.

I think you will enjoy the truck and for sure the camper, we love ours. I think the GM HD series are way underrated for backcountry use.

Looking forward to your build and trips.

Jack

Joeprunc

Observer
My build is I'm sure going to be a slow slow process, I like to have things paid off before adding stuff. But the Contigo kit, shocks, & tires are going to go on by this fall, these brand new street tires I have on my truck are flat scary in mud or snow. I have not heard about the bad ball joints on the Contigo UCAs, that is something I will definitely look into. Also with any IFS system, I believe the shocks limit your down travel. Unless you are jumping your beast I don't think limit straps are necessary. Even 3 wheeling your ball joints should be fine, I'd be more worried about a CV in that case.

Just curious did you cycle your suspension at all with the 315s before adding the fender flares? Did it rub much in your wheel well or frame? I know I'm going to have to trim the front bumper, but don't want to worry about the inner wheel well rub. I'm debating between the 285/75 in 16s or 17s. The 17s are about 1/2" taller right? I think its going to depend if I am going to keep the stock rims or go with something just a bit wider.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I apologize for not responding before now..

I drove around with the bald 315's for a day or two. I had some rubbing on the front bumper/valance area, it wasn't too bad, but I did have to trim it up. They will not fit without the trimming that you do for the flares (1.5 inches if I remember right). There wasn't any rubbing on the rear of the fender with the trimming/bushwacker flare. The main reason I went with the size tire I went with was that it was the biggest tire I could go with and get a spare that would fit in the stock location. The spare isn't an exact match, but it is really close and is only meant to get me out of a bad situation.

Yeah, the 285/75R17's are just under a 34" tall tire vs. a 285/75R16 which is a 33" tire (give or take).

My issue with the Cognito upper control arms are that it gives you the extra travel that you can't really use. They recommend a limit strap to prevent over-extending the CV joint and they had (haven't paid attention of late) a real problem with their balljoints lasting. Some people were getting less than 5k out of a set. I have not been in a situation where I felt like I needed anything different up front. YMMV.

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Shocks are on. My wife and I are planning to head to Death Valley next weekend for a little weekend trip, so before we left, I wanted to put the new Kings on to give them a good test. It only took us about an hour from start to finish to put them on. We did the front first and then the rears. The fronts were a tight fit, there is no extra room and it takes some effort to get everything positioned and in place. There is a little extra travel up front, which King lists as an additional one inch front and rear. The rears were easy except for the additional travel. I had to end up jacking the truck up higher to get enough droop to install them.

Took it for a quick spin behind my house. There is a dirt road that has a ton of pot holes and erosion channels. Major improvement on both on and offroad, the front feels more controlled and definitely takes the bumps better. I was worried that the rear would be too stiff, because of the additional valving I had them set them up with. We were both pleasantly surprised that the rear felt better than stock without the harshness. Now that was a real quick test and the full test will have to wait until next weekend, but so far, I am happy.

I had to "flex" the truck to check and make sure the remote hose cleared everything up front and of course just to see how it acted.

Onto some pictures.
Stock to King comparison.

Installed.

Stock to rear King comparison

Rear installed and you can see that I just slipped a grey shock boot over the bottom and it is "free floating." There is no way the boots will/would fit over the King body.

Next...

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Continuing with the pictures.

The passenger side. You can also see the "sandblasting" that the front side of the rear axle sees and why I wanted to coat and protect the shock.

Time for some big flex pictures...:smiley_drive:

That is all for now. Can't wait to try it out next week.

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1