Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Yah not on the ATC site, but some info and pics here:
http://www.jayaronowcampersales.com/

I've been looking at the Ocelet also. Prices seem to be a little lower than the FWC also. Good to have choices (although some people seem to think we should all be driving - never mind).

I agree on the choices. My main focus will be a used FWC, just too hard to to buy new when there can be so many good used choices. But if the used route doesn't work, then the Ocelot has my attention.

Jack

Rot Box

Explorer
On a side note make sure to measure your bed rail width before pulling the trigger on a camper. My older Fwc and Alaskan won't fit in many of the newer trucks :( Not sure when the cutoff was for 4wc's but I'm guessing it was early-mid 90's.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Not sure how old of a FWC your looking for, but I found this on craigslist liast night...

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/2157245064.html

might be a bit of a travel though..

I saw that one, it has been posted before. I will have to see if it fits...

On a side note make sure to measure your bed rail width before pulling the trigger on a camper. My older Fwc and Alaskan won't fit in many of the newer trucks :( Not sure when the cutoff was for 4wc's but I'm guessing it was early-mid 90's.

Yeah, that is a concern, I am out of town right now, so I can't measure the truck, so it may narrow things down a bit.

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Did a little shake down run with the new ride this past weekend. Gotta say I was impressed. We didn't do anything too challenging, just headed out into the Northern Nevada back country. The area we were in was called the Lava Beds and Southern Seven Troughs range. Ran into frozen mud in the morning, snow and gawdawful mud in the afternoon. I was able to follow Spressomon everywhere he went in his well built LC100, so I was happy. Only mod so far besides baselining everything; I cranked the t-bars for 7/8's of an inch at the wheel.

Here are some of the pics.

It was still early and the mud was still frozen.

Elephant Head Rock in the Lava Beds.

Stopped below Elephant Head Rock for a little break.

Porter Springs, yeah the mud has thawed.

That is all for now. Good time, other than washing all of that mud off, did I mention I HATE mud???

Jack

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I have made some minor changes. Craigslist has been my friend. On my old Tacoma, I had a crossbed toolbox, so with that in mind, I began my search and found one for the Chevy. Got it for $80.

The next thing was new mirrors. My truck came with the "towing" mirrors, they were too big and I didn't really care for them and my wife couldn't adjust them enough while driving it. So the hunt began. Again, Craigslist to the rescue. I found a set of the regular sized mirrors with the defrost/turn signals built in. Picked them up for $100.

Also went out for a little run on Saturday.

Can't really see the toolbox, but I think everyone knows what they look like. :wings:

Jack

Last edited:

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Nice truck man, I am in the process of trying to plan out my 06 3/4t PS. nice to see another full size being built.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I've been a full-sized 4x4 truck guy all my life, only started playing with the smaller wagons recently. There is lots to like.

Within the next six months I'll have my neglected 7.3L revived and ready for travel, we will have to go out for a Nevada truck trip.

RB1

Observer
Nice truck! You have the exact truck I wish I had! Mine is also a 2007 but is a 6.0 gas and a single cab. Sure wish it was at least the extra cab and the diesel would be just another added plus. Recently I have been driving a loaner 2007 Chev duramax while mine is in the shop for a minor traffic accident. Sure makes me wish I had gotten the Duramax.
Looking forward to the build. What are your plans for the suspension?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Nice truck man, I am in the process of trying to plan out my 06 3/4t PS. nice to see another full size being built.

Thank you sir.

I've been a full-sized 4x4 truck guy all my life, only started playing with the smaller wagons recently. There is lots to like.

Within the next six months I'll have my neglected 7.3L revived and ready for travel, we will have to go out for a Nevada truck trip.

Glad to hear the F350 will be back on the road.:wings:

I agree a truck run would be cool.

Nice truck! You have the exact truck I wish I had! Mine is also a 2007 but is a 6.0 gas and a single cab. Sure wish it was at least the extra cab and the diesel would be just another added plus. Recently I have been driving a loaner 2007 Chev duramax while mine is in the shop for a minor traffic accident. Sure makes me wish I had gotten the Duramax.
Looking forward to the build. What are your plans for the suspension?

Thanks, it really has been very nice ride so far. My other truck is an F350 with a 7.3 PSD and it too is a great truck, but the duramax makes my PSD feel a little archaic.

I am planning on either the Exact Steering upgrade or the new Kryptonite set up. As far as suspension, I leaning heavily toward the Cognito 4-6" no torsion bar drop suspension (set at 4") with Deaver 4" rear springs. I was going to just do a leveling kit, but I started doing some reading and measuring and determined that I am just going to have to lift it the right way.

Cranking the torsion bars tends to cause wheelhop on these trucks, so I want everything in proper alignment. Plus when I compared my chevy (which I cranked the torsion bars 7/8" at the tire) to my stock ford (both with 265 tires), from ground to tranny skid plate, there was about 3.25" more clearance on the ford. From the ground to frame under the cab, the ford is almost 7" higher. I like the chevy, but it definitely is a belly dragger. 35's will be the tires, so with the 4" lift, I will trim slightly to eliminate rubbing.

Jack

RB1

Observer
Our builds sound similar. I'm planning on using a BMS Upper Arm, tierods and King 2.5's all around. I'm going to look into doing a lift too.
Look forward to watching your build.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Yep, the GM pickups are low-riders in stock trim, just like my 4th Gen 4Runner.

4" and 35s should do it. How about Cepek F-C II 315s? :sombrero:

snip...

Cranking the torsion bars tends to cause wheelhop on these trucks, so I want everything in proper alignment. Plus when I compared my chevy (which I cranked the torsion bars 7/8" at the tire) to my stock ford (both with 265 tires), from ground to tranny skid plate, there was about 3.25" more clearance on the ford. From the ground to frame under the cab, the ford is almost 7" higher. I like the chevy, but it definitely is a belly dragger. 35's will be the tires, so with the 4" lift, I will trim slightly to eliminate rubbing.

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online