James Baroud RTT's In Action!

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
What's up with this!?

32409448035_e146c4bc49_b.jpg

harbinger808

Adventurer
:) just a prototype! The 4th of a carbon camper cell, lots more R&D to do.

drool :)

question Rino... Does James Baroud have any plans to make that flip up tent minus the camper shell portion?... I suppose like the one AT showed as their prototype at ExpoWest?... or even something like the Ikamper HardtopOne or Skycamp?

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
drool :)

question Rino... Does James Baroud have any plans to make that flip up tent minus the camper shell portion?... I suppose like the one AT showed as their prototype at ExpoWest?... or even something like the Ikamper HardtopOne or Skycamp?

Not at the moment, but there is a 4 person RTT in the works for late this year of a much different design!

RBA

Adventurer
Love the Front Runner and standard size tent combo, if I had gone this route I could place my Maxtrax in front of the tent. :eek:

Thanks...I hoping to fit my Maxtrax behind it.

On a related question....I just received my isothermic kit for my tent. Do I install it as one panel (all connected as it came) or in separate pieces? Which material faces in?

Dozer Dan

Observer
On a related question....I just received my isothermic kit for my tent. Do I install it as one panel (all connected as it came) or in separate pieces? Which material faces in?

The panels are all the same size so the kit doesn't line up with the doors properly but if you do it all in one piece, starting in the center of the head-end it will line up reasonably well. There is a bit of material overlap but..
If you have a look at the top of the panels there's velcro, the velcro is facing out and is used to attach to the top part of the tent.
Once installed you can open panels. I usually roll up both side panels by the doors before closing. I leave the rear one closed. I think it would be a lot trickier to install it piece by piece.
It's mighty comfy with the kit in place! :)

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
The panels are all the same size so the kit doesn't line up with the doors properly but if you do it all in one piece, starting in the center of the head-end it will line up reasonably well. There is a bit of material overlap but..
If you have a look at the top of the panels there's velcro, the velcro is facing out and is used to attach to the top part of the tent.
Once installed you can open panels. I usually roll up both side panels by the doors before closing. I leave the rear one closed. I think it would be a lot trickier to install it piece by piece.
It's mighty comfy with the kit in place! :)

Thanks for the helpful response and yes the Isothermic kits really keep the heat :)

Flyer69

Observer
I have a similar issue now. I'm switching trucks and roof racks and the current truck has a front runner rack. I need to figure out a mounting strategy. Do you have any pics you can share on what you did?

Sorry, first time logging in for a while...
I don't have photos, but the brackets I made look exactly like the factory JB ones except everything is stainless. The barstock is available at McMASTER CARR, here is the https://www.mcmaster.com/#9083K35
I chose stainless carriage bolts that were the same diameter as the factory ones, but I went a little shorter because the stock ones are way longer than I need. I think I used 2", but just add the crossbar thickness to 3/8" (2 x 3/16" for the stainless plates), plus enough left over for nylock nuts and washers. I like to use washers because stainless will gaul and inhibit proper tightening plus weaken the material.

I cut the stainless barstock long enough to allow for the crossbar plus bolt heads plus 1/4" or so for ease of installation. You can drill the holes yourself, but it's a lot of work and you will burn up a bit or 2. Drill the holes big enough so the square under-part of the carriage bolt head fits all the way into the hole and the head sits flat against the bar. Then just tack weld the bolt to the bar on the threaded part. A tack weld or 2 per bolt will do, as really its only for holding the bolt from turning during tightening, but you also don't want it to break, so use your best judgement. The brackets will warp a little bit from the heat, but it's no big deal. You can straighten them in a vise. Make another set of stainless bars for the lower clamp plates. I think mine were all 6", so 12" makes one set.

I'll try to snap some pics of a spare set I made. I plan to add a 3rd crossbar soon.

Abitibi

Explorer
Got my brand new James Baroud couple weeks ago and first thing I did was to cut it apart, sorry Mr. Baroud!

20170211_161226.jpg

Cutting holes is fun, kinda got carried away...

20170216_113438.jpg

But at the end it all worked out :)

20170221_101305.jpg20170221_101653.jpg

More "Action" pictures coming up soon!

Wallygator

Adventurer
Love the pics but not everyone is listing which model they have. I have a very tall son, he is 6'4", so I do not know which model I should be thinking about getting. I'm leaning towards the Evasion XXL or the Grand Raid. I have a 2016 4runner. Would such a large model tent look silly on the 4runner? Will he fit in the normal size tents? Also, Is there a way to get an awning on the truck if the tent takes up all the space? In addition, any rack recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1