Jate rings on DII

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Before the Rover crowd told me that somebody was going to get killed, I had the local Jeepers hooking up tow straps to my factory tow point and doing huge kinetic recoveries.

Nobody died. YMMV.

before I had a winch bumper I did it too, once or twic. There are horror stories of guys breaking these off on the other forums. That scares the hell outta me.

Also when you removed your stock front bumper, how rusted and beat up was the metal bar that your tow hook was attached to? Mine looked like arusted colander.

-Sam

Paladin

Banned
You mean the round bar under the rad? Not too bad actually. But the tow hook wasn't attached to it anyway. Mine is bolted directly to the frame with 2 double-shear bolts that go right through the frame. The hook itself (really, it's a hoop) is kinda flimsy looking. But I can't believe the yank it held. I was stuck in a mud hole, with a tree across the end of it. Probably 18" trunk, but not lying on the ground. Basically, the tree was directly blocking the tire from being able to move forward. And it was barkless, polished, and covered in slime. Anybody who's been offroad in the east knows what I'm talking about. Zero traction trying to scale the face.

I wanted to winch, but the trail leader, an older experienced gentleman in a clapped out XJ, hooked me up with the white farm store tow strap and took a HUGE run at it. He might have even had a hook on his end. Everything was wrong. I think I actually ducked behind the dashboard, or wanted to. But everything held.

dcarr1971

Adventurer
I saw that D2 with the yellow towhook, it was an 03-04 IIRC. Dont feel bad about your truck. My diff grenaded on the way to MAR. I was in the white 4runner with my younger brother and the hot blonde chick in the skintight clothes and boots(for some strange reason everyone remembers her ;) ).

I used to live in Pitt - Shadyside, when i went to CMU for one of my masters, got a really bad intro to the Fort Pitt group and never wheeled with them. I know charlie crushanky well, good guy. I liked your guys flag and little privacy tent at MAR.

-Sam

Cool. I used to live over in Shadyside back in the mid-to-late '90's...big house/Apt building on the corner of Ellsworth and Summerlea...(across from the Unimart).

Still meeting lots of folks with Rover's around the 'burgh...what does Charlie drive? Maybe I've seen him around...

Storz

Explorer
Bumping this back up, I just bought two jate rings off of another member here on the board and was wondering if anyone had some pictures of bumper trim jobs that have been done on a DII. I know I am going to have to trim a bit, just curious what others have done.

Cheers!

Storz

Explorer
Anyone know of a front reciever hitch for a DII, this is my ideal set up but I can't find anymore information other than this picture

Attachments

• Discorecoverypoint.jpg
    Discorecoverypoint.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 34

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
just FYI, the factory 'hooks' are for shipping tie downs(across the pond), not recovery. I suggest they be removed entirely so as not to be tempted- and strap to the axles for trailer towing the trucks.

Storz

Explorer
just FYI, the factory 'hooks' are for shipping tie downs(across the pond), not recovery. I suggest they be removed entirely so as not to be tempted- and strap to the axles for trailer towing the trucks.

Yeah I know. I'd never, ever use them for recovery

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1