Java's Mini Trailer

java

Expedition Leader
Congrats great looking build and once I'm done getting a house I want to start building my trailer up for over landing.
Thanks! Trailer is definitely nice with a little one and the two big dogs taking up a lot of the truck.

Had it out again Friday night, Not everyday you find a tank in the woods!
20140621_101402 by Java_230, on Flickr

java

Expedition Leader
No Idea, Googling has told me the DOT uses it for avalanche control. They have two apparently. No idea where the second one is!

Couple more that might help. The drives were overhauled in Oct 85!
14288434380_7c8b8a3a29_c.jpg

14495186313_e150a5e183_c.jpg

mizzle415

Observer
Very Nice little trailer! Now that you've taken the trailer on a couple of trips, what do you think of the suspension setup? What leaf springs did you end up going with from ABC Trailer? I have a little David Bradley that I've begun to mod for camping. My favorite spot requires travel on a very rocky forest service road and I find that my suspension is way too stiff (1500lb capacity from Sears). I try to take it easy with the trailer in tow, going gingerly over rocks, etc. (which really sucks), but I still see it bounce hard if hit a pothole or rock with any speed. On my first outing, I got to camp and ten of my canned beers had burst!

So just curious which springs you went with and how you like them.:smiley_drive:

java

Expedition Leader
Very Nice little trailer! Now that you've taken the trailer on a couple of trips, what do you think of the suspension setup? What leaf springs did you end up going with from ABC Trailer? I have a little David Bradley that I've begun to mod for camping. My favorite spot requires travel on a very rocky forest service road and I find that my suspension is way too stiff (1500lb capacity from Sears). I try to take it easy with the trailer in tow, going gingerly over rocks, etc. (which really sucks), but I still see it bounce hard if hit a pothole or rock with any speed. On my first outing, I got to camp and ten of my canned beers had burst!

So just curious which springs you went with and how you like them.:smiley_drive:

Blown up beer sucks! They are 500lb capacity (each) 29" springs wiht shackles, not slippers. Its nice and soft. It still bounces over things with no shocks, but they aren't hard bounces if that makes sense. When driving on a paved road for example, I can look in the mirror and see the tire moving up and down in relation to the fender on little bumps and such in the road. For the weight my trailer ended up they are just perfect. The trailer is just over 500lbs empty, and I don't put a ton of heavy stuff in it so the springs are pretty well matched to the weight.

mizzle415

Observer
Blown up beer sucks! They are 500lb capacity (each) 29" springs wiht shackles, not slippers. Its nice and soft. It still bounces over things with no shocks, but they aren't hard bounces if that makes sense. When driving on a paved road for example, I can look in the mirror and see the tire moving up and down in relation to the fender on little bumps and such in the road. For the weight my trailer ended up they are just perfect. The trailer is just over 500lbs empty, and I don't put a ton of heavy stuff in it so the springs are pretty well matched to the weight.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have to look into those springs from ABC. Have you considered adding shocks?

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have to look into those springs from ABC. Have you considered adding shocks?

I just asked him to find the lightest and longest he could and thats what he could find when I ordered my axle. They were great to work with too.

I have considered shocks, But I don't think they are really needed. It doesn't bounce bounce bounce, its just one or two on a big hit.

java

Expedition Leader
Dragged this thing all over this summer. It works great. Just packed the truck for a ski trip and remembered how miserable it was trying to stuff everything into the truck.

Easter WA, by Sugarloaf mtn
14563208783_898c830dea_c.jpg

Found a tank in the woods.
14495188323_62a70a4c1a_c.jpg

Near Lake Wenatchee
14288451360_2e2e26a845_c.jpg

Ridge above Cashmere wa.
14520058466_0688787400_c.jpg

Between Stevens Pass and Lk Wenatchee
14591972042_7f14e9b5b3_c.jpg

Lunch stop stevens pass
15272793230_4dc3761a8b_c.jpg

Outside Leavenworth
15387530125_505b449ba5_c.jpg

Lunch stop, Old Cascade highway
15459490165_46489abb75_c.jpg

Really happy with how it turned out. It becomes a bit of a dump everything in mess, but works awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1