Jeep Cherokee Overland

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I think it looks great. Very nice setup, IMO. And those have the 8.25 rear axle which is a very strong, reliable rear-end (just bought one for my XJ).

If I could fit all my kids in that KK, I'd rock the crap outa that. :)

mutt550

Observer
Not saying that the Liberty is bad, just not a 4.0 powered Cherokee. I do like the steel wheels shown in the photo. I think jeep should take a few steps back and listen to the people who buy/would buy some bare bones but off road vehicle that you can buy for under $20.

Still for the life of me I don't know why they don't put tow hooks/D rings on the front of all jeeps. After all they are supposed to be trail ready right.... That's the first thing on all or at least most trail guide's top ten list... Tow hooks!!! Well got that out of my system :Wow1:

Anyway I still Love my Jeep no matter what!!

ihatemybike

Explorer
Mopar or NAPA CVs are happy with up to 4" of lift.
The aluminum front diff holds up fine if your answer for everything isn't more throttle. There is an aftermarket steel housing if it is.

Bodo, I'd say yes you can make it as good as your XJ.

BIGdaddy, the KK has a bigger interior than the XJ.

mutt550, not all Jeeps are trail rated. Some people don't want to pay for that stuff cause they'll never use it.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
mutt550, not all Jeeps are trail rated. Some people don't want to pay for that stuff cause they'll never use it.

And some people buy a bunch of stuff cause it looks cool, but they know they'll never use it. lol

When I worked at the Costco tire garage years ago a guy came in with a Rubicon looking for new "quieter" tires because his factory tires were too loud... :coffee:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Mopar or NAPA CVs are happy with up to 4" of lift.
The aluminum front diff holds up fine if your answer for everything isn't more throttle. There is an aftermarket steel housing if it is.

Bodo, I'd say yes you can make it as good as your XJ.

BIGdaddy, the KK has a bigger interior than the XJ.

Yes, bigger in some ways, but smaller in others.

Bigger "how" is important with 5 passengers...

This is quoted from edmunds...

Rear hip Room: 52.6 in.
Rear head room: 40.8 in.
Rear leg room: 38.2 in.
Rear shoulder room: 56.6 in.
Split-folding rear seatback

my cherokee has 35in's of legroom, and 55in of hip/shoulder room, which though a bit snug front to back, works well from side to side.

52in of hip room WILL NOT fit 3 carseats, unfortunately. (I've been a jeeper and a daddy for a long time.)

:) thanks for trying, though. :)

Last edited:

mutt550

Observer
Okay...you got me........maybe not all jeeps need tow hooks or are gonna do the Rubicon trail. But it would be nice to have them anyway even if its just a little tug to get someone outta the snow/mud/sand. It wouldnt break the bank to put them on at the factory and leave out some of the other fluff. After all it is a JEEP. Like I said I love my Jeep!! Every time I sell one and get something else I end up coming back to another xj, tow hooks or not...lol

:victory: See ya on the trails

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Okay...you got me........maybe not all jeeps need tow hooks or are gonna do the Rubicon trail. But it would be nice to have them anyway even if its just a little tug to get someone outta the snow/mud/sand. It wouldnt break the bank to put them on at the factory and leave out some of the other fluff. After all it is a JEEP. Like I said I love my Jeep!! Every time I sell one and get something else I end up coming back to another xj, tow hooks or not...lol

:victory: See ya on the trails

here, here! :beer:

ihatemybike

Explorer
52in of hip room WILL NOT fit 3 carseats, unfortunately. (I've been a jeeper and a daddy for a long time.)
Maybe it's time for a lifted, 2-spd cased Astro.
poke.gif

3Deserts

Observer

Sort-of off topic, but Brian, if you don't mind me asking, how do you like the XJ in terms of having the kids in it? I only have one, so obviously the car seat fitting in the middle shouldn't be a problem (or is it?), but in terms of overall ingress, egress, livability, etc., how do you like it?

Too, if you fold the rear seat down (no child seat), can you sleep comfortably in the back?

mutt550

Observer
I can't answer your question about the car seats. But as to sleeping in the back it all depends on your height and if you have someone else sleeping in back with you. My girlfriend and I are not very tall so we fit in the sleeping area with ease. You can always slide the fronts seats all the way up to add room if your taller. Love the xj's tough as nails and cheap to fix if you do hurt/break it.

3Deserts

Observer
Good to know; thanks for that.

I'm a modest 5'8" and it's not very likely that anyone else would be sharing the back with me save perhaps for my son on occasion, and he's all of 3'2" currently.

I keep coming back to considering an XJ--I always wanted one--but every example I find for sale is beat to hell--or 2WD, or auto (I need a manual). Is there something about used XJs for sale that require them to have been ridden hard and put away really, really wet?

catfish

I keep coming back to considering an XJ--I always wanted one--but every example I find for sale is beat to hell--or 2WD, or auto (I need a manual). Is there something about used XJs for sale that require them to have been ridden hard and put away really, really wet?

Don't degrade the AW4 Automatic in XJ's they are top notch tough as nails.
Mines a AX-15 5 speed, but I would not have turned it down if it was an automatic.

Keep looking you can find some beautiful late models with low mileage that was used by a Soccer Mom but they're not cheap.
the Cash for Clunkers (US) deal really put the hurt on the used XJ market and took way to many cars off the road that would normally be there.

3Deserts

Observer
Oh I don't doubt the autos are excellent, I just don't want to drive one myself, at least not if I have a choice. The one exception I'm making is if I find a Montero SR--the factory locker is worth the auto.

I didn't know the XJs got hit by Cash for Clunkers. Interesting. And weird. For what they are, the MPG on the 4.0 wasn't that bad, officially rated at 20 Hwy with the 5 speed. For an SUV, that's still respectable even today. Too bad a lot of them got culled. That may very well explain what appears to me to be a pretty grim market for them.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Sort-of off topic, but Brian, if you don't mind me asking, how do you like the XJ in terms of having the kids in it? I only have one, so obviously the car seat fitting in the middle shouldn't be a problem (or is it?), but in terms of overall ingress, egress, livability, etc., how do you like it?

Too, if you fold the rear seat down (no child seat), can you sleep comfortably in the back?

I use the truck every day for only me, and about 3 times a week to pick my kids up and shuttle them home. Works excellent for that. A couple times last year, my wife used the rig, while I troubleshooted her van, and she had absolutely no complaints about drivability/comfort/ergonomics/etc other than the seats kinda being knackered from old age (puttin' replacements in soon)

We've taken a few long trips up to Ventura/santa barbara in it, and while other things detract from the experience like lack of plush suspension and a need for seat replacements, the roominess was never an issue. We always felt like we had enough room with a yakima box on top, and the rear cargo area.

We use two cosco brand (not costco) booster seats for our 6 year old and 4 year old and a forward facing graeco child seat for our 20 month old.

Once the girls are big enough to not be in carseats, we'll have even more room, and I don't expect I'll have an issue until they're in 5th or 6th grade, honestly.

A montero will not fit three carseats across in the middle row, but will fit two in the rear jumpseats and two in the middle row. just fyi. It's kinda cumbersome, because there's no cargo room with the 3rd row up, and no way to get into the rear seats with a carseat in the third row, other than clambering over. (which is fine, I guess, since its fun for a kid..haha) you would absolutely have to have alternate cargo storage like a hitch box or rooftop box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1