Jeep gives Wrangler 1.5" lift, 35" tires and 4.88 gears..

billiebob

"Hot Oil". The instructions were then to "When safe pull over to the side of the road and wait for it to cool"
This is as old as the automobile. We have had countless experiences with the bumper against a tree waiting for the oil to cool starting in Dads 1963 Safari Wagon. Fact is automatics generate heat. Even with coolers it is easy to cook an automatic.

Which I did in my 5.9 Grand.... even with the factory oil cooler.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

Even with coolers it is easy to cook an automatic.

What's nice is a modern transmission will happily run at temps that would fry an old school one like a TH400.

My F150 tranny temp is 197°-203° driving to work (takes 30-40 miles driving in the Florida heat to actually warm up to that temp) and goes to 205°-210° when towing. Even at 210° is still 40 degrees before it starts to get "hot."

I added a larger tranny cooler off of a Super Duty and I'm pretty sure that I'd have to try to over heat it...haha.

billiebob

my last word, Jeep had had a 75, 80 year history of continuous production and refinement, The JK/JL platform is a 15 year evolution, The Rubicon which is all this thread is comparing has 18 years of flawless production. I love Ford but this is a new vehicle with ZERO history. All the components are assembled as brand new and untested. As an urbanite I'd say the risk is zero but as an overlander, I'll wait at least 5 years and then only buy it if it actually proves better than the Jeep,.,,,,, which seems a huge leap.

Even styling wise, it has a few Pontiac Aztek traits and no single number beats the Jeep spec.

D

Deleted member 9101

my last word, Jeep had had a 75, 80 year history of continuous production and refinement, The JK/JL platform is a 15 year evolution, The Rubicon which is all this thread is comparing has 18 years of flawless production. I love Ford but this is a new vehicle with ZERO history. All the components are assembled as brand new and untested. As an urbanite I'd say the risk is zero but as an overlander, I'll wait at least 5 years and then only buy it if it actually proves better than the Jeep,.,,,,, which seems a huge leap.

You do realize that the drivetrain in the Bronco (the 4 or the 6 cylinder) have been on the road for 6+ years and proven themselves to be damn near bullet proof? Either one can take a massive amount of abuse and not flinch. There are literally millions of them on the road right now...and one happens to be in my driveway ;-)

Also... Matching the reliability of the Wrangler isn't exactly a high benchmark to achieve ?

Here's a 2.7 with 450,000+ miles.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChasingOurTrunks

My only big critique of this is how it's packaged, based on what the TFL guys said about it the other day, but it looks like that might not be accurate according to that article. My understanding is that you can get the Sasquatch package on any Bronco - from entry level to upper trims.

According to TFL, this new Jeep package will only be available on the 392 Rubicon. So, you're already north of $70k for the jeep that this package goes on, and then add another $3-$5k (TFL estimate) for this extra package. The article posted said it's available on the 392 AND the Rubicon, though, so I'm not sure. But if it is only available on the 392, I don't think it will take too much steam away from Ford just because of the price point.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
My only big critique of this is how it's packaged, based on what the TFL guys said about it the other day, but it looks like that might not be accurate according to that article. My understanding is that you can get the Sasquatch package on any Bronco - from entry level to upper trims.

According to TFL, this new Jeep package will only be available on the 392 Rubicon. So, you're already north of $70k for the jeep that this package goes on, and then add another $3-$5k (TFL estimate) for this extra package. The article posted said it's available on the 392 AND the Rubicon, though, so I'm not sure. But if it is only available on the 392, I don't think it will take too much steam away from Ford just because of the price point.
I might have misunderstood then. I thought it was only available on the Rubicon.

Edit. Nope. Rubicon and 392 only.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

It has never broke or left me stranded and I've driven CJs,YJs,TJs and an m38 since 1971.
400K kms on my '05 Rubi, 150K kms on my "new" '06 Rubi.
I'd say thats a pretty high bench mark.

My sister had a 2013 Wrangler... Lemon lawed it ... Replaced it with a 2104.... Which had to have a new long block at less than 10k. It had a string of problems the entire time she owned it.... Which is why she traded it in on a 4Runner.

A close friend has a Rubicon... On tranny number 3 and transfer case number 2 at less than 100k.

Neighbor has a 4 door Wrangler that has been towed back to the dealer half a dozen times.

Also... 400k kms and 150k kms isn't very high mileage these days...lol. There's no shortage of F150s and Mustangs with the same drivetrain as the Bronco with 250,000+miles that have been trouble free. Add to that the number of them that are modified and pumping out far more HP/TQ than stock with out flinching.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Part of the problem with offering factory "lift kits" or just producing a vehicle with too-tall a center of gravity is all the lawsuits that will be launched and all the bad press by sensationalist media outlets like Consumer Reports over the increased likelihood of rollover accidents. The original idea behind the 2003 TJ Rubicon was that Jeep gave you everything you needed to run the Rubicon Trail except for the lift and tires. Sure, it worked fine on mild trails with its minimal ground clearance and cute little 31" tires, but slap some suspension and 35's under it and you're ready to go since it already had gearing, lockers, rock rails, etc. while Jeep remained clear of rollover lawsuits.

Then Jeep realized how much money Jeep owners were spending on aftermarket mods and decided to get into the business themselves by offering factory Mopar suspension, bumpers, etc. Now they're rolling out special editions with the lift and tires right from the factory.

The Bronco is so wide that I'm not particularly worried about it having rollover problems, but a lifted Wrangler on high traction 35's with a heavy 392 way up in the air will have trouble staying upright with a rambunctious driver behind the wheel, even with modern stability control software. Future Bronco models may be even taller as the manufacturers keep trying to leapfrog each other, but the Bronco's IFS will limit its height (geometry issues) and strength (no solid axle). But with so many people lifting their vehicles without understanding its handling dynamics (as well as kits of dubious quality), and so much horsepower and traction available nowadays, I fear that our litigious society may mean that the government steps in with heavy-handed regulation about what mods they will permit. After all, look at what the government has done to diesels after a handful of doofuses "rolled coal" on too many Priuses.

billiebob

My sister had a 2013 Wrangler... Lemon lawed it ... Replaced it with a 2104.... Which had to have a new long block at less than 10k. It had a string of problems the entire time she owned it.... Which is why she traded it in on a 4Runner.

A close friend has a Rubicon... On tranny number 3 and transfer case number 2 at less than 100k.

Neighbor has a 4 door Wrangler that has been towed back to the dealer half a dozen times.

Also... 400k kms and 150k kms isn't very high mileage these days...lol. There's no shortage of F150s and Mustangs with the same drivetrain as the Bronco with 250,000+miles that have been trouble free. Add to that the number of them that are modified and pumping out far more HP/TQ than stock with out flinching.
yeah, I can't vouch for the new Wranglers, I figure the last good one was the 2006 TJR. But I feel that way about all the new 4x4s.

On the new Bronco it is the sum of the parts and how well they are assembled, every new vehicle goes thru recalls and redesign in its first few years. Vehicle designs approaching 10 years old are a better risk 150 miles into the desert than the 4x4 which is brand new today. This is brand new market for Ford. They have never built anything like the Sasquatch.

ps, anyone breaking 3 transmissions and 2 transfer cases in 100K miles is in need of driving lessons.

billiebob

Just thinking back,

In 1970 the Muscle Car reached a peak of insanity and between government regulation and insurance the industry got shut down.
By 1990 we had swung 180 and the Minivan was peaking out as we all wanted more.

Today with the new Bronco Sasquatch and the Hemi Wrangler plus this over the top 35s, 4.88s, and all you need is $$$ to get there. I think we are peaking out in the 4x4 market. I'll bet a lot of buyers have no clue about what they are buying. Both Ford and Jeep might face a backlash cuz these are not practical vehicles for most. Even for the few who love the extremes, most like to build their own. I'm thinking this is the beginning of the end.

Mr. T

Here is a muscle jeep 2017 with a supercharger 4.11 gears. Dyno tuned to 375 hp.

Attachments

• C5A9E805-AF7E-4A41-B88D-1BD8581E8C9D.jpeg
    C5A9E805-AF7E-4A41-B88D-1BD8581E8C9D.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 47
  • 90817F81-9C34-4C21-B58D-7A1A92182363.jpeg
    90817F81-9C34-4C21-B58D-7A1A92182363.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 45

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design